“Bad communication”

Ranked #5 of 46 Restaurants in Thatcham
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Bad communication/lack of knowledge of their own menu resulted in me being told they didn't sell something on their menu as standard and would have to pay a lot extra for what i wanted. when i checked their menu after ordering i found they did indeed have what i was asking for; This resulted in me having to eat something i didn't want.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Staying in Thatcham on business and didn't fancy the hotel restaurant. Drove into town and came here on Bank Holiday Monday. Was early so I got a table quickly. Ordered the Quick Fried Squid with Garlic Pepper for starter and the Chicken with Chilli 7 Lemon Grass Sauce for main.
Squid starter was fantastic. One of the best i've had and I would have been happy to just have another plate of the same for main. Main was very good too....but hard to live up to such a good starter. Had a Chinese beer and a soft drink too. Total came to £22.25 which I thought was very reasonable. I'll certainly come back again.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We decided on a whim to go out for the evening, and decided to visit the Szechuan. We'd had a couple beers prior to entering the restaurant so decided to drink only water. I can't put my finger on it but I got the distinct impression that we weren't the most popular of customers, when we declined alcohol, fizzy water, and mineral water for tap water. To cap it all we weren't starving hungry so we ordered a single starter each and a single main course dish each.
The food was ok, nothing fantastic. I had a noodle dish, and at the bottom some of the noodles were hard, either uncooked or overcooked not sure which. I thought the food was somewhat expensive, almost 3 x what it would have cost as a takeaway. Obviously you're paying extra to sit down, but if you're having a big meal that would soon rack the price up.
Tables around us were of course having stacks of dishes being shared, but most of it goes to waste not eaten.
Didn't like the fact that our bill was made out in Chinese, and no obvious breakdown of what we'd had. I think it was a little more than it should have been, but because we had so little, the bill wasn't huge anyway so I figured any additional error would be their tip.
Don't get me wrong, the meal was ok, the service was pleasant, the prices are somewhat on the high side, the ambience was pleasant enough. Will I go again? Wouldn't not go if someone invited me, but I might be more inclined to try one of the other many eating establishments in and around Thatcham if I just fancied and impromptu dinner.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I've just returned from a meal at Szechuan Thatcham. I took 5 children as part of my daughter's birthday, and we decided to have squash for drinks to keep the cost down. Amazingly, they charged me £9 a jug for the squash. When paying for the bill, I challenged the bill with the very abrupt manager who replied "licensing reasons". Outrageous was the reply from me. It would have been the same cost for fresh orange juice!! It just doesn't seem right to me. " You should have had water", he replied. So £93 for a meal with 5 children and my wife, and we didn't over indulge. Tasty food but hard to swallow that bill, when this was not priced in the menu and after having two jugs of squash, added £18 to the bill. Rip off merchants.

1  Thank W S
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We finally got round to going and not disappointed. Jam packed with big and small groups on a Thursday night. Lovely friendly service. Could do with slowing down between courses as do most Chinese restaurants. Peking Feast great with couple of substitutions allowed for my spice phobic partner. A credit to the owners and Thatcham.