“Local Gem”

The White Hart
Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Henfield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A charming 16th Century coaching inn within the heart of picturesque Henfield. Offering traditional home-cooked food, A fantastic selection of beers and wines, and stunning log fires. Children and dogs are welcome.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Good food, good selection of drinks and prices are perfect. Also you can get lite bites and snacks on a Sunday which isn't the case for quite a few other Henfield hostelries.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Matthew P

Reviewed 12 November 2018 via mobile

Visited here after being recommend by a friend for a roast, so went with the family. I'm coeliac and always worry about trying new places as have been to many establishments where they just don't understand people who are coeliac! Unfortunately the White Hart weren't much different :( I ordered soup to start and explained I was coeliac, when my soup arrived it had bead on the side and croton's in it....when I looked at the manager to say I wouldn't accept it....he looked far from impressed, but returned with another soup for me shortly after returning the other. We all had a roast....I was unable to have a Yorkshire pudding (which isn't a big issue for me!) However when it arrived it was swimming in what looked like just the juice of the beef...I asked about gravy to which they replied, we do not have gluten free gravy. Not to sound rude, but it really isn't very difficult to just buy a few tubs of gluten free gravy from Tesco! It was like they weren't even trying to accommodate people who are gluten free and just took other items away from my plate that I couldn't eat!
Service was very poor....for a pub that was rather quite when we visited, we were only checked on to order drinks/food, to receive our food and then to ask if we wanted puddings...we were not offered drink refills and when a member of our party went to order more drinks at the bar the staff were happily chatting amongst themselves, poured the drinks and didn't seem to remember that we actually had a table and didn't offer to bring them over or add them to the tab etc.

Unfortunately a pretty poor experience for all on our visit :(

Date of visit: November 2018
2  Thank Amy L
Reviewed 22 October 2018 via mobile

There were three of us having lunch today. The staff were extremely welcoming, courteous and attentive at all times. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. The White Hart has a comprehensive menu with some classic dishes as well as some with a bit of a twist. It is casual dining with an elegant menu. Highly recommended!

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank JackyK64
Reviewed 19 October 2018

This was a very nice older pub with excellent food. Tried several dishes and was a apprehensive about ordering fish and chips away from the coast but was pleasantly suprised with the quality and quantity. Service was excellent from a very nice waitress who was very busy. Highly recommend this pub to have lunch or dinner.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank John L
Reviewed 13 October 2018

A few of us went for lunch, all of our meals were thoroughly enjoyed by all. I am vegan and the menu didn’t include much I would eat, the staff went out of their way to provide a lovely lunch, thank you very much.

Date of visit: October 2018