Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$984
TripAdvisor
Ocean Pearl(Luquillo)
US$134
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn(Luquillo)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$438
US$371
Travelocity
  • Beachfront
Melia Coco Beach(Rio Grande)
  • Beachfront
7,368 results
All reviewsmarbella restaurantiguana feedingpuerto ricoiguana pubtiki hutrainforest viewadult poolfamily poolrented a carold san juanocean suiteself parkinglobby barconcierge deskocean frontminute drivegreat beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Wyndham Rio Mar during a recent trip to Puerto Rico. The resort was beautiful! Our room was very clean, and all of the common areas were very clean. The hallways leading to the rooms seemed a little dingy, but I could definitely look past that once I was in my room. My only minor complaint about the room was the bathroom. We had an “Ocean View Suite” which was a GREAT room, so I expected a great bathroom. Instead, the bathroom was very small and only had a small sink, toilet and very small shower stall – no bathtub – and the tiles in the shower floor were a bit uneven. It was livable, but not impressive at all, and certainly didn’t match the rest of the room.
The pools were nice (adults only pool and a family pool), and there were great cabanas around them but they were a little pricey to rent (I think around $125 per day). The beach was nice and clean, and there were ample chaise lounges, tables & umbrellas out on the beach for guests to use.
We rented a car while we were there, which I do recommend if you plan to do anything off of the resort. The resort charges for parking ($15 per day for self parking & $20 per day for valet) which you pay for at the end of your stay. Be warned: the parking garage is totally gross! It was dark, smelly, didn’t have a ton of spaces, and was confusing to navigate… but I’m still glad we had the car. It was fun to explore Old San Juan, El Yunque rainforest, Bioluminescent Bay, etc. without having to book a pricey tour through the hotel.

Room Tip: Try for an ocean view room, on an upper floor, on the side of the resort with the adult pool and conference center. The side with the family pool gets pretty loud.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2012

The Rio Mar Beach Resort is a nice hotel within a gated area of villas, a golf course and tennis courts. As many other guests have already mentioned, the food and drinks are expensive, thus the necessity of having transportation to reach other restaurants. Nearby kiosks were cited as being less costly for meals, however, we had second thoughts to "dine" in an open air restaurant which was less than appealing in appearance and pricing was not inexpensive. Specific good and inexpensive places to eat are "The Tiny Frog" and "The Asian Buffet", both on route 3 and within ~10 minutes.
The room itself was a mountain view (standard room) which had a beautiful view of El Yuenge rain forest. Unfortunately, we received rain on and off for the first few days of our trip. However, the last 3 days were sunny, breezy and pleasant. The room had an extremely comfortable King bed, maid service was done in a timely manner and most important, had a working safe for your valuables. A GPS is a must if your traveling to San Juan, El Morro or the Bacardi factory, since road signs on local roads are a scarce commodity. Remember, allow plenty of time to reach the airport, since roadwork and a multitude of cars make driving very slow and cumbersome.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BobB711
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We read all the reviews and selected this property for value and amenities. The best way to describe our visit is to say that it felt as though they had been given the "manual" for "How to Run a Five Star Resort" but had several chapters missing. The staff wanted to be the best, but somewhere along the way, the finer details of service were lost by either those teaching them or by them. Without going into detail, we would return to the property, but with our new knowledge that things are not 100%.

Room Tip: We were assigned adjoining rooms right off of the casino. We closed the fire doors and had no problems with noise at night.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Hoping to avoid the rainy season(it begins in May), I stayed at the Rio Mar in late April for 5 amazing nights. The service was top-notch. My check in was managed by the charming Joshue, who made sure that even though I had a bit of an unusual booking (I booked an extra night after booking my initial trip) I didn't have to change rooms. The resort itself is breathtaking, with fountains, strategically-placed marble and fans, and a pleasant color scheme and overall design that is harmonious with tropical weather. My room overlooked the pools and ocean. The beds were very comfortable, and coquis sing you to sleep at night. As the resort is fairly remote, everything you could possibly need, including a plethora of restaurants and activities, is on site. However, if you DO decide to venture outside the resort, the hotel employs a fantastic tour vendor that also manages airport transportation. Everything is expensive. EVERYTHING. Please keep in mind that ALL on-site restaurants and bars feature New York City prices for food and drinks. If you're not accustomed to - or prepared for - the sticker shock, you should definitely consider renting a car and going off site for food and drinks. There are several restaurants, bars, and food kiosks in and around Luquillo. Ponce and Old San Juan are must-see cities. They're beautiful and rich with culture and history. The Caribbean side of the island is not to be missed! (And if you're in Old San Juan, swing by Mojitos. People come from all over the island for their amazing mofongo, a specialty in Puerto Rican cuisine and something you must savor at least once in your life.) I'm not sure about some of the reviews that complain of spotty service. With the exception of one surly bartender who I might have caught on a bad day, every single person on staff who I had the pleasure of interacting with was courteous, solicitous, and delightful, especially Vincent at Boleros. Maybe the issue in some of these cases was the guest? It's not impossible! Overall, I'd recommend this resort. I'm going back as soon as I can.

Room Tip: Most rooms have an ocean view, so you really cannot go wrong wherever you're placed.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Sassycrass
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Really enjoyed our stay, staff was attentive and friendly. Food was really really good. Great activities to do near the hotel. We definitly want to return!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple