Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Reviewed 19 June 2008

The main problem is that the hotel is trying to be all things to all types of people; couples and families and the dining experiences are not good. Admittedly we came during the school vacation time but the hotel should still be meeting the needs of its other guests too.

My husband wanted to play some golf and we both wanted some sun. The website showed photos of couples and couples dining in the restaurants - giving the feel of a resort that did encourage romantic breaks as well as families - and there was an adults only pool. So, we gave it a go...

However, we could not escape children - they were allowed in the adult pool from babies upwards.. We did mention this to the staff but they didnt do anything. ALL dining rooms allowed children at all hours in buggies with toys. There was not a romantic meal to be had anywhere...and the food generally was quite poor.

We tried to spend each day out of the hotel. So do check out what kind of level of romantic setting you want before booking or check that they have improved their practices.

(Lastly, when we checked-in they said that we had been upgraded - however, on arriving at the room it was pokey and not much of a view which I had paid extra for. I didnt like the room and once the children in the room next door started yelling through the adjoining door we asked to be moved to the room I originally booked. Strangely this room was better than the supposedly upgraded one; larger and better view - so if you are told you are being upgraded ask to see both before deciding.)

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank fbusa
Write a ReviewReviews (7,253)

Reviewed 18 June 2008

The beach and the grounds are beautiful and so is the rain forest! The spa treatments are fabulous....and the hotel is ok. We ate at the Steakhouse and the Italian place, both were very good. There are other properties in PR that I enjoy more.

2  Thank njfun
Reviewed 16 June 2008

Who would have thought that I would have been happy spending 5 nights in Puerto Rico in the heat and humidity. But, this is where the conference was being held so the only choice was not to attend at all. Puerto Rico is hot and humid in June, however, the ocean breeze kept it tolerable during the day and downright pleasant for our two outdoor evening events.

Our room: We had a double queen on the 6th floor facing the ocean. The view was magnificent--beach, palm trees and clouds floating in the bright blue sky. While the bathroom was kept quite clean and mildew free (a real challenge), I can't say the same for the closet and the dresser drawers; both were dank and mildew-smelling. Even with the a/c running very cold all day and all night, it was still quite humid in the room.

There is no doubt that the rooms need to be refurbished and the hotel is well aware of this. Let me add that I think that they have to do a better job vacuuming the bare floors and the rug (especially between guests) and that I would appreciate fitted sheets that completely cover the mattress and don't pull out as I toss and turn. Drives me crazy that even the expensive hotels insist on skimpy flat sheets that don't stay in place.

The staff: Here is a hotel that knows that it is in the people/service business. Everyone was so pleasant and friendly--welcoming. Yes, there were issues during out stay -- some were ours and some were what we heard from other people at our conference--but they were taken care of quickly and without a lot of fuss such that by the time we left, all was forgotten.

The pool/beach: The best thing that we did was to rent a beach side cabana. There was no way that we could sit on the beach all day long, even with an umbrella. In June, the sun is very high in the sky making it very intense. The cabana was under the palms and with the breeze was ever so pleasant. We alternated between the shade and the sun all day long. The pool staff was attentive, coming by on a regular basis to make sure that everything was okay, etc. Kudos to Carmen and her entire staff

For sure, I could have done without the loud blaring music while I sat around the pool and thankfully it was turned off our last day there and we could actually enjoy the peaceful sound of the ocean. I'm sorry that they are planning to re-do the pool area. I really liked the laid back atmosphere and can really live without a 'lazy river.'

The food: We did not bother with the breakfast buffet (though it looked delicious). It was cheaper --and better portion control--to just order a breakfast entree (excellent Eggs Benedict--not swimming in Hollandaise). We ate dinner one night in Marbella and it was very nice--not rushed at all. I did not find the restaurant prices to be any higher here than at any other resort I have stayed at--and yes, resort prices tend to be higher than what you can get if you leave the property. On the other hand, consider that leaving the Rio Mar to eat means that you need transportation--taxi or a car rental--so figure that into the cost of meals.

Renting a car: it is much cheaper to rent a car at the airport than at the hotel. Driving from the airport to the hotel is no worse than the city driving that most of us are accustomed to and having a car gives you the freedom to leave the property and explore the surrounding area --such as the rainforest which is just a few minutes drive from the hotel and which offers hiking and fantastic views.

The bottom-line is that we really enjoyed our stay at the Rio Mar and should we return to Puerto Rico for a vacation, we would definitely consider staying there again.

5  Thank Peregrina651
Reviewed 16 June 2008

Although the setting is beautiful the hotel is showing its age. There are a lot of maintence issues scattered throughout the property. The restaurants are so over priced its ridiculous. The best way to do it is rent a car and try some of the great local restaurants located near the resort. Don't bother asking the concierge they don't really know anything. Oh and make sure you get your pool towels during the day because if you want to swim at night you will have to use already used towels.

The best part about this place is probably the beds. They are really comfortable. When it comes down to it I guess that's the most imporant thing.

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank TripAdviceforFun
Reviewed 15 June 2008

The hotel is just at the edge of the rain forest and on the ocean. The hotel's landscaping and pool are exceptional. The food and drink prices are too high. We learned via this website to stop at the grocery store/liquor/wine/beer/soda store before you get to the resort. This saved us most of the $5-$8 fee for a soda/wine/beer. The staff was most helpful. The food at the restaurants and buffet we found to be better than expected. The casino is small, but adequate. The room we had facing the pool was very nice and had a great balcony my wife and I enjoyed. The beach is a little darker than the east coast of the u.s.. Not much to see on the beach. Although this was a beautiful resort, we will probably stay stateside at Myrtle Beach, Wrightsville Beach, or Ocean City, Md. for our next vacation. Each of those locations or Florida have great resorts too for less money and can be driven to. The airfaire and the hassles of travelling are wearing me down.

3  Thank basilone
Reviewed 11 June 2008

We stayed at the Rio Mar over Memorial Day weekend (Friday - Wednesday). We arrived on Friday night around 11:00 and were told that there would be a 'minor inconvenience.' Since the hotel was apparently overbooked, we had to stay in the living room of a suite on a SOFA BED for 2 nights. The living room was closed off to the bedrooms, but we could hear everything on the other side of both doors. When we finally moved to our king room, we woke up with bites all over us the next day! As if the room had fleas in addition to the ants coming from the cracks in the walls! I called house keeping and they told us they were 'sorry for the inconvenience' and would change the bedding. They did not change the bedding. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Puerto Rico was beautiful and we will be going back, but NOT to the Rio Mar!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ynnej08
Reviewed 11 June 2008

I stayed from the 6th to the 8th of June along with my husband and my two toddlers, and I was sorry I did not stay longer. Yes, prices were inflated, mostly on dining, but the food was great and it was worth the amount of money, and there are other off-site dining options as well.

I booked a standard ocean view room, and upon check-in was immediately given an upgrade to an ocean suite and a cute, comfortable crib(no charge), for my baby daughter, which I appreciated. Surroundings were beautiful and well mantained, and rooms were clean(my husband loved the bed and worshipped the pillows).

As for the staff,the best so far. I felt like each time I was thinking about making requests of any kind, they read my mind and did as I pleased without me even asking...from the check-in clerk to the room maid, each one of them looked forward to our complete satisfaction.

Looking for tips??? Enroll in the ByRequest program;previous lodging is not required. Not only you get rewards on a long-term basis but also get instant benefits, i.e. I made an express check-in and check-out, was not charged for a fridge, and a ByRequest rep. called me daily looking for my needs. I am definitely considering going back, the resort itself is an outstanding Puertorican attraction!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!