“This resort just misses being fabulous!”

Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Cleveland
“This resort just misses being fabulous!”
Reviewed 17 April 2010

My husband and I booked a 6 day trip. Our room had a simply glorious view of the ocean! Upon arriving at the hotel and checking in, our room smelled heavily of mold (of which I am highly allergic) in the drawers, closet, curtains, dots of mildew on lamp shades. The ceramic tiled floor was not clean and was missing the area rug around the bed as is shown in their web site. None of the rooms have a rug as pictured on the site. There is a lovely balcony with one table and two chairs (dirty also). We have traveled to Puerto Rico many times, but usually stayed in San Juan; we weren't prepared for this. The next day, they moved us into a "Clean Air" room at no extra charge. The room was to be equipped with a medical quality air filter, encased mattress, pillows, etc. After getting into the room, we noticed it had none of the above. The staff promptly arrived making the proper preparations. The bed was very comfortable (Pacific Coast Down Pillows) and pillow top mattress. Everyone on the staff (with exception of a surly coffee waitress one evening at the snack shop) were extremely friendly, helpful, welcoming, and accommodating. Our main problem is we felt the hotel and the rooms were not clean and maintained in a fashion we had usually experienced. We usually stay at the Ritz Carlton in San Juan, and this time, decided to try a different area and save $. We have also stayed at the Intercontinental and the El Conquistador. The lack of attention to detail as to cobwebs, clean corners, fallen plaster, etc. was not there. The bath tub in our first room and our second room looked dirty on the bottom, but it was the enamel on the tub showing the cast iron wearing through. There was ample storage and closet space. Robes were available, but you need to request them. Anything we needed, there was someone was at our door immediately. We thought the pool grounds were just as beautiful as Ritz Carlton in San Juan. There was a fully equipped gift shop in which I purchased a few beach dresses and cute beach jewelry. The internet cafe on the lobby level had 5 computers, two of which were broken and one ran slow. I know maintenance is difficult in the tropics, but we were surprised by the lack of it in this resort. The carpeting in Marbella was extremely shabby. The carpeting in the hallways was worn. The paint on the front of the doors was scratched and needed painting. There was fallen plaster in the hall one morning outside our room. There was an area on the ceiling of the room where plaster had fallen at one time and had barely been painted, but the ceiling was not textured. We tried to look beyond all of this because the grounds and the pool areas were divine. The beach isn't groomed as it should be and was difficult if you were to walk along the water line to avoid walking on all of the junk. Even saw a dead,blue rat on our last day when we were walking the beach close to the water. Palio (Italian restaurant) was just wonderful. We dined there twice and each time was memorable. The service was impeccable. I was surprised to read reviews stating the service was bad because we didn't experience that anywhere. I disagree that the food prices in the restaurants are outrageous. They were about the same as in Cleveland where we live. Most drinks at the pool bar are $10.00 and I did think that was steep. They were delicious! They have happy hour at 4:00 where rum punch and their beer is 2 for 1. All of the bartenders are warm and friendly. They have a large bar off the lobby with entertainment and yummy food and apps, a lower smaller bar with a pianist (outside Palio), and a snack shop that served small pizzas, sandwiches, salads, specialty coffees, etc. You could eat at Marbella's brunch every day for $12.00 per person and get everything from omelettes to oatmeal to smoked salmon to the usual. A great value, we thought. The sushi restaurant was nice; unusual drinks with sake as an ingredient were fun. Our visit there was ruined by a large table of adults and four children who were allowed to scream and yell (and I mean loud) the entire time. We weren't happy the casino did not have crap tables. One disburbing thing I also have to mention is I had a surprisingly terrible problem with bug bites (turning into red welts) literally all over my legs, and several on my arms, by the time we left. (In case you are wondering, they were not bed bugs). I had not experience this in Puerto Rico before. I would strongly urge every visitor if you are sitting at the outside bar, spray yourself heavily with bug repellant. We got home yesterday and I was kept awake the last two nights from the pain and itching of the no-seeums. This hotel doesn't put refrigerators in the rooms unless you pay $10.00 a day and I am wondering if they also save money by not spraying for bugs. They do have written material about the no-seeums warning guests of them. My husband started itching today. The technicians at the spa were wonderful. I had two massages while I was there, one by Ellie and one by Barbara; both I would rank tops. I had a Swedish massage the first day and then a Seaweed muscle wrap with a massage. I had wished I had become acquainted with the spa earlier in our trip. I was given recommendations on products (because I asked; not because they wanted to sell things). They have a small gym with the appropriate equipment which I did not use. One night, we ventured to the steak house at the country club/golf club. I thought the food was just o.k. The waiter was pressuring us to order a bottle of wine (we had our fill of drinks at the beach bar all afternoon) and also pressured us to order dessert and coffee. The golf course is gorgeous and the pro shop has beautiful golf attire. All in all, I don't know if I would stay again unless I left special instructions ahead of time to have a clean room. I don't think you should have to spend extra money to have a room clean of mildew. All in all, I am mixed as to whether I would return.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Doriegirl
WyndhamEXEC, Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 April 2010
Thank you for your detailed review of your stay at Rio Mar. We extend our apologies for the shortcomings you experienced and assure you your feedback will be taken seriously. I sincerely hope that you will give us a second opportunity to serve you in the future. We trust you will note an improvement.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,320)
New York, NY
Reviewed 16 April 2010

I decided to take my mom to PR for her birthday; this was her first visit to this wonderful tropical place. The resort is very beautiful; the grounds are so well kept. We particularly loved feeding the iguanas. The beach is also very clean despite the fact that the week we went was very crowded. Waves were a little rough, but we were told this is the way most beaches are in PR. Upon check-in, we were upgraded to an Ocean View Room, which was wonderful with a nice size bathroom and great amenities. The staff was very helpful, friendly and extremely polite. The Dragon Fly staff was also very nice; my mom has a knee issue and is unable to walk for long periods of time. Wanda (our Dragon Fly tour booking person) helped me organize tours that would not require her to walk for too long. During one of the tours, our driver went of her way to drive us around and give us a private tour just so that my mom wouldn’t stress out her knee. She even insisted to carry her bags and was very attentive to everything my mom needed. I read many of the reviews before we left, most of the reviewers complained about the price of the food, thus I was prepared to pay whatever came my way, however the truth is that the food was not as pricey as the reviewers claimed. As a native New Yorker, I am used to paying $120 for dinner or $30-40 for a good lunch, so I honestly was not faced by the price tags, plus the food was very good, so why complain. We specially loved Palio, the food was amazing and they were very nice to make special arrangements to help me celebrate my mom’s birthday including having the accordionist play “happy birthday”. My overall favorite part of our trip was the spa; as part of our package we were entitled to a 50 minute spa service daily, which we took full advantage off. The ladies at the spa were so sweet and extremely informative. They pampered us in every single way. I had the most amazing massages. Thank you once again Carmen for giving my mom that extra bit of attention when she complained of knee spasms. My only complain was the waiting period at the Tiki Bar, it took over 45 minutes to get a hot dog and when I asked the bartender as to why the long wait he just shrugged and walked away! Overall this was a wonderful and relaxing trip. I would definitely go back, this time with my husband to enjoy a more romantic setting.

• Stayed April 2010
4 Thank r0mantictraveler
It was a pleasure reading your comments and feedback on your recent stay. We are glad that we were able to provide a memorable birthday experience for both your mother and you. Thank you for choosing our resort as your vacation destination and we look forward to your return, this time with your husband.
New York
Reviewed 16 April 2010

There were 10 of us (family & friends) and overall we had a great time. We had to clear the beach @ 5 pm for turtle mating so we went poolside in the evening. This was the best time to get in the hot tub.
Food is very pricey @ the property restaurants so we took a rental car to go stock up on some no perishable food items, alcohol, and a blender.
My husband and I took a shuttle to the front gate and walked about 10/15 mins to a restaurant called Antonjitos on the main street and the food there was worth the hike if you’re up for it.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Walk6
Thank you for your feedback with reference to your stay at our resort. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and look forward to your return.
nyc
Reviewed 15 April 2010

My Sister and I arrived on April 2 ....... for 5 nights. The room says Ocean View, but in fact it faces a building, You have to crane your neck around to see the Ocean thru the trees. Okay next, the room smells of Dampness and has mildew on the vents. All of the Restaurants had terrible food. We did like the Sea Breeze Beach Bar Restaurant . The Pools were full of kids and the Adult Pool never had an available space for our chairs.The Concierge talked in detail about the Botanical Gardens in Caguas so we rented a car 81.00 and went there on a Tues.THEY WERE CLOSED. shouldn't the Concierge know that ? We had rented a car from a rental agency outside the Resort and made the 1 hour trip ! luckily one of the Management employees called his Supervisor and we were able to get a Guided Tour which was fantastic. The Water Aerobics allowed the Kids to stay in the Pool when she did the class, even though I spoke with her she did not care Kids were jumping all over the Adults : who only asked for the one Hour in the Pool. She should be Fired ! Previous to that she asked all Mommies and Daddies to leave the Pool for the Easter Egg Hunt. !! but for the Water Aerobics she would not ask the kids to leave the pool
It was impossible to have internet access as 3 out of 5 computers were out of order and they were always occupied by kids. It was disgusting for the Hotel to expect guests to pay to have internet in the room Usually hotels have free internet .
In general The Hotel Staff at Rio Mar were Professional and had a very good attitude.
We found the Staff to be Fantastic. And always willing to Help !

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback with reference to your stay at the resort. WE appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.
Chicago
Reviewed 14 April 2010

Service was terrible at the restarurants.. It was a min of 2 hours before you received your food and we only ordered a salad and hamburger.. Yep and you paid $70 for that. we stayed for a whole week w/ poor service. Spoke to the managers about our concerns and they didn't care..If you want horrible service, over priced food, which tastes ok then this is the place for you...

1 Thank worktomuchChicago
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
New Jersey
Reviewed 14 April 2010

Let me begin by saying that I loved Puerto Rico! It is a lovely country, especially because of their scenery, people and delicious food. However, I hated the resort.

Rio Mar was EXTREMELY overpriced and they had really bad customer service. The grounds looked nice at first glance, but I’ve traveled to many other places, and I felt that they only went about 80% of the way. Sadly, I felt they didn’t focus on the small details...so much wasted potential).

You would hear people complaining all the time: to the folks that ran the tours (Dragonfly), to the folks in the front desk. They would make mistakes on tours, people were irate and instead of appeasing them, they would insult the guests. I was dumbfounded by their attitude.

I think the over pricing was the most frustrating part of it all. For instance, a cup of coffee cost $4.50. I considered a helicopter ride and almost fainted. When I took my family to Hawaii 2 years ago, I paid approximate $250 for each of us to go on a helicopter ride. At this resort, they wanted $3,700 (and that was the cheap ride).

We took a few tours. We did Old San Juan, however, I’m sure we were overcharged for it ($100/person). We went horseback riding for about 2 hours ($79/person). I had booked the bio bay tour, but later found out that you could call the bio folks on your own instead of going through Dragonfly and it cost less than half! The resort folks were charging $100/person and the tour actually only cost $45. That’s a HUGE difference.

I HIGHLY recommend renting a car so you can get around and eat elsewhere. But get ready because in addition to renting your car, the resort charges you $20/day to park yourself in their lots! I couldn’t believe it. You also had a choice to have them park it for you (valet service for $25/day).

BTW, rooms don’t have microwaves and you can have a small fridge installed for $10/day (another rip off).

Also, you would think a big resort like that would have computer stations for their guests. Well, they had a total of 5 computers in a narrow hallway near the front desk. 2 of them were out of service the entire time I was there. 1 had a broken keyboard, the other was super slow, so only one worked OK. There were no printers so you couldn’t print out your boarding passes. I was beyond annoyed.

The front desk folks were horrible. Make sure you stay on top of them. Not only are they rude, they also tried to charge me for extra services. Upon checking in on our first day (we arrived at about 1pm), they promised that our room would be ready between 3 and 4pm. So we went to eat (at one of their expensive restaurants) and walked along the beach/resort to kill time. We kept checking with them to inquire about our room and were given the runaround. We didn’t get into a room until 6pm. I was told that ocean front rooms (which I had booked and paid extra for) were in high demand by us folks from the “states”. As if we are spoiled brats. I was fit to be tied...I complained to the management and they gave me a $50 credit, like that was going to make a dent. I was so tired, I didn’t care, I just wanted to finally get into a room and relax. We had been up since 3:30am and were exhausted. Of course, at the end of the trip, when we went to check out, they refused to give me the credit I was promised on that first day. I had to fight with the manager until they gave it to me. I also paid for airport transfer shuttles when I booked my trip BEFORE arriving in PR ($100 total) and they tried to bill me $150 each way.

I felt really frustrated the entire time I was there. Guests shouldn’t have to complain nor feel raped by exorbitant pricing. Needless to say, they got a mouthful when I had to fill out the satisfaction questionnaire upon check out.

1 Thank weedesign
We apologize for the frustration you had to endure while on vacation. Please know you are valued by us and hope you will reconsider and give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.
Ohio
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Although we had paid for our rooms months in advance, they were overbooked and unavailable when we checked into the hotel. Most of our group was displaced to another hotel for 1 night but had to wait late the second day until the rooms were ready to check in the Wyndam Rio Mar. Although the hotel attempted to make it up with complimentary meals, parking, etc. , they just didn't get it when we were still dissatisfied. Bottom line, we paid for our rooms and wanted to be with and our friends and their families. There was nothing else acceptable! We have stayed at this several times when it was a Westin. Our experience with the Wyndam Rio Mar was not good!

• Stayed March 2010
WyndhamEXEC, MManager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 April 2010
We’re sorry for the inconvenience we caused and understand your dissatisfaction. We hope we’ll be given the opportunity to make it up to you should you reconsider and decide to vacation with us once again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio Grande
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!