“Most enjoyable”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
New York City, New York
“Most enjoyable”
Reviewed 22 December 2010

My partner and I traveled to Puerto Rico for a quick vacation and thought we'd try out the new St Regis resort. Like other reviewers stated, I was a bit apprehensive about trying a new hotel in the Caribbean, But we were pleasantly surprised. By no means was the service up to a five star level, but it was certainly the friendliest four star service I have received in the Caribbean. The staff genuinely cares and went out of their way to makes us happy. I just hope that all the Northerners coming down for Christmas don't hurt the humbleness of the staff. I would highly recommendly this hotel.

1 Thank Jason_Lee064

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 18 December 2010

The hotel is brand new, the rooms are beautiful, very clean. It is a very beautiful place with a lot of nature around: natural trails in which you can walk, jog, run or go in bicycles at the same time you admire the different plants, animals and lakes that are there. All the facilities are amazing and the service is incomparable, very friendly pleople always willing to help you and making your stay unforgettable. It's a little expensive (it's a 5 star) but every dollar is worth it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank YYCM
Houston, Tx
Reviewed 14 December 2010

I am sitting in my room on our last night of a 3 night stay. We are having room service because the only place open tonight is Fern, we ate there last night and it is just ok and not really a Jean George experience.

Let me start with the drive. I called the hotel and was emailed directions that were perfect and it was an easy drive with no trouble finding the hotel.

Check-in: It took about 30min because I reserved a ocean front king and while I appreciated the upgrade they gave us a larger room with a garden view. We wanted to be on the ocean and it took a half hour to figure out there were no ocean view rooms available. We were moved back to my original room for the rest of the stay. I recommend the ocean rooms over the garden even if the garden room is larger. The sound of the ocean with the sounds of nature are great.

Rooms: the first suite had a very loud a/c unit and we discovered that you can have engineering set for VIP so that you can take it off the program mode and cool it down more. For those of us that live in hot humid climates like Houston, we are sensitive about a/c. The rooms have a humidity problem and it is not summer yet. The ocean room had a quieter a/c but still humid. The bathrooms are fantastic but we had an issue with hot water one night until we discovered that you need to turn on the handheld shower along with the rain shower for it to get hot. We loved the balcony looking and listening to the ocean.

Food: I am not shocked by prices in resorts like this. You have to realize it will be that way. As stated we were not impressed with Fern, the breakfast there is pretty good with an amazing french toast dish. Molasses at the golf course was best with regional cuisine that we enjoyed and would have returned except it is closed on Mon and Tues.

Service: I agree with almost all that has been said. The staff is very friendly, they just don't seem to have been trained very well. We were told to go to Loquilla Beach for snorkeling and we could pick up the gear at the boathouse on drive out. There was no one at the boathouse for about 15min and then a mgr and an employee arrived and we were told they do not have snorkeling equip and after several phone calls they could not find any. We also found the directions from concierge to be incorrect but it was easy to find. The snorkeling there was non-existant and I do not recommend going there to eat either. When we left and returned to the property and went to the beach the attendant told us the stuff was at the beach shack there. He brought us new sets as well as boogey boards. Some staff were not sure when different restaurants were open or closed including concierge. Calling is a problem and you find no answer many times. One morning our pre-ordered coffee arrived on time, the next day it did not arrive without a phone call 30min after it should have been there. If you look at the Ritz San Juan reviews you see some of the same service problems. It may be a culture problem here.

The property is beautiful and we may return if I read the issues have been addressed.

1 Thank piatty73
Houston
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Wow - what a place! We loved it.

Pros:
Spectacular rooms! Giant rooms with all the amenities. The bathroom was huge with a walk in shower and an oversized tub. This was so cool - the bathroom mirror had a television built into it. You could watch the today show while shaving! Not necessary, but very, very cool.

Complimentary coffee delivery in the morning. We had brought our own cereal and yogurt and the hotel delivered coffee and milk and we had breakfast on our patio for free.

The pool is outstanding. Super comfortable lounge chairs, great service, lots of places to sit and it did not feel crowded. We saw the pool manager the last day and asked her to consider making the pool a no cell phone area as there were at least 3 people on long business calls sitting at the pool.

The beach is clean, large and not crowded. We could walk both directions for quite a ways and really enjoyed the beach.

The property has a walking path and nature path that are well marked, easy to follow, long enough to feel like a workout (3 miles) and you see some terrific greenery.

The golf course looked very nice.

Food and drinks were terrific. We ate at the pool, at the casual restaurant and at the upscale restaurant. All were delicious and yes - what everyone says about cost is true. We saved some money by ordering kids meals at the pool - more than enough food and nothing wrong with chicken fingers and cheeseburger sliders! Yes, there is free water and fruit in the work out room and the hotel has a number of complimentary events that include snacks - welcome mojitos in your room, champagne tasting at the bar, smore's on the beach, tastes of drinks at the pool, etc, etc, etc.

The staff was super nice and competent. Our key did not work one night and we called the front desk and asked them to send someone. We asked that the person come right away - and as we hung up the phone saw a person running (yes running) towards our room to open the door.

Cons
Yes, the drive is confusing to get to the hotel. Get good, accurate directions before embarking. By the way, this is only a few moments of your entire trip so why stress so much over it?

The only other con is that this place is going to become very popular and Starwood will make it less available to those of us on points! That will stink as we will return on an annual basis as long as we can.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
nyc
Reviewed 13 December 2010

My wife and I have gone to Puerto Rico for short 3-4 day get-aways before. We have stayed mainly at the Ritz just off the airport. Having heard of the new St Regis we decided to give it a try.

Overall - this is a resort - one you can get away from everything. There is nothing like this in San Juan. its quiet and relaxing with a golf course, boat house and jogging/bike paths. Its off the beaten path. The plus is it is a quiet getaway - the downside is, there isn't much to do at night if you are looking to party. San Juan is probably a 40 minute drive.

The property itself is spectacular. Well detailed - everything new. The room we had (Garden view king size) was really nice. HUGE bathroom and nice big open space. A great balcony that overlooked the garden and part of the pool. The property is connect by elevated boardwalk walkways. Instead of one big building, there are multiple smaller units that sink easier into the landscape. They have an Audubon designation. Pool is excellent and so is the beach.

The staff is incredible. You have a butler assigned to you that will bring everything from movies to coffee. There are also little touches like hand crafted tiles they leave everyday.

This was a really beautiful place. The spa was probably the nicest spa I've been to. Koi ponds, sauna, steam room, sitting areas all in open air environment. It blows away the spa at the Ritz.

The downside is limited food options. There are only three restaurants on the resort. One is a Fern, a high-end Jean George restaurant. Excellent food - -even more excellent prices (for them). Molasses is local food location at the golf course. The food here is excellent, a little less pricey and more local flavor selections. The last is the spot by the pool with typical pool-side fare. You could hike offsite but there didn't appear to be anything close to the resort.

Another downside - price. This place isn't for the feint of heart. Granted its a St. Regis so be prepared for $10 poolside coffee and $8 OJ's. A bowl of fruit and some yogurt with granola ran $48 on morning - I usually have a high tolerance for sticker shock but even I was taken aback at some items.

And to put some rumors to rest - the drive the airport wasn't bad. 40 minutes to and 30 back. We encountered no traffic. The service issues (if they had any) are definitely resolved. You couldn't walk 20 years without someone asking you if you needed anything.

Great escape for 3-4 days - but its a very different escape than staying in San Juan.

I definitely would go back!

1 Thank sbrita
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Where do I start! First or all, we rented a car from SJU airport. The directions seem easy enough until you get onto 187 and you get redirected through some small town and the signage is non-existant. I do have to agree with the other reviews on a few things...the resort is beautiful and the staff is SO nice but none of them have been trained. They will say yes to whatever you ask and then none of it comes to fruition! And this I might add, goes all the way up to the GM. The reception/check-in process was probably the best and only thing that went right. We had a suite that was lovely and our butler did come and make us a mojito upon check in but then never to be seen again. The air conditioner kept us up all night with the noise and it doesn't even work properly! We had it turned way down and we were still too warm. The food/service at Seagrapes were both horrendous. I had to send back my fruit "skewers" as they consisted of a few pieces of fruit that was either brown or completely under-ripe. Everyone is very pleasant but it's not enough. The spa was beautiful, the pool area nice but we were very disappointed in the water at the beach. Don't expect Carribean blue....the concierge has no idea what's going on..that is when you can reach them. They told us they made a reservation at another restaurant off property only for us to arrive there with them never having heard of us. The wine at the bar was undrinkable...every red by the glass had been opened for days. The piece de resistance though was my camera getting stolen. Granted we inadvertantly left it on a bench with our towels by the pool for an hour early evening...the only people around at that time were the staff picking up the towels. We reported it to security, the front desk anyone that would listen and everytime we would call on it they acted like it was the first time they were hearing of it. Both my partner and I travel extensively...he stays at a Starwood property at least 3 x a week so to have experienced all of this at a St. Regis was EXTREMELY disconcerting. I sent an e-mail to the GM when I returned home outlining our disappointments...that was over a week ago with no response. They were supposed to "interview" the towel boys working when my camera went "missing" I have called them 3 times with no call back. Finally last week I did receive a call with NONE of the information about my camera EVER have being put in the system. TRUST ME...DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

7 Thank winey1
virginia usa
Reviewed 11 December 2010

This property is simply gorgeous. A lot of time and attention was spent on it, and you can tell. The grounds are beautifully planned and planted. The golf course and club house are stunning, reminiscent of The Breakers. The beach is wide and very long; the nearest hotel from the resort beach is around a point and very far away. There are little hide away places for two all along the beach. The water is not the clear, snorkel-off-the-beach kind, but rather has waves, which we kind of liked as the sound was nice. The pool is large and beautiful and kid-friendly, with a "beach-bottom" area, one-foot deep baby pools, and 3 foot shallow pools, as well as 5 foot areas for grown ups. The pool is smartly made to feel like many smaller pools, so even when you are on a lounge chair you don't feel like you are on top of anyone else and it is easy to sit away from the kids at the resort if you so desire. The pool is cold though. The main building is well done and check-in was wonderful, reminescent of a One-and-Only. The rooms are gorgeous, the bathrooms are impressive and luxurious, and we didn't have a problem with air conditioner noise like others seemed to. The spa is breathtaking, with ample outdoor showers and pools, and the treatment areas are open to the outside but carefully planned to be completely private.

The downside: service. At check-in you are led to believe that you are in a very exclusive resort and every whim will be catered to. Do not be decieved. Each room has butler service, but he takes his sweet time getting to your request, if it happens at all. Housekeeping quality is inconsistant. The consierge is happy to help you if she is there and not busy, but she does not return phone messages, acknowledge you if she is busy, or get back to you about things she had to check on because she just didn't know the answer when you asked. We even got incorrect directions to the rain forest (and yes, they were printed out!). Restaurants are only open sometimes, and on some days there is only one option, and there is nothing else near the resort. Seagrapes was an adventure; the food was inconsistent and the service was terrible: long waits for food, forget items, forget drinks, etc. To get around the property, there are staff with golf carts, but if you want one you usually have to wait. The staff is uninformed about what else is going on on the property; we took a ride to the boathouse only to find it closed an hour before, we were told the kids club was open when it was not, we were told there were kids bikes and there are not. They started a construction repair while we were there, sending horrible noises throughout the pool area and closing the bathroom completely, but there was no notification that this would be happening (had we known we would have gone to the rainforest that day instead!). Speaking of noise, the groundskeeping staff has no problem running the leaf blower just a few feet from you while you are relaxing at the pool, or while you are trying to enjoy breakfast on the balcony of the restaurant. Breakfast was our favorite meal but make sure you request milk at the same time as your coffee or else your cup will be cold by the time your milk arrives. Resort-wide, if you have a special or unusual request, forget it. You will be told OK, certainly, but then it just won't ever happen, and nobody will get back to you to tell you that. In fact follow-up in general does not exist. Even the hotel manager was supposed to contact us and never did.

The one exception was poolside. We had better service there than any other place besides check-in. Also your food will come faster if you stay in your pool chair rather than get up and sit at the restaurant. It is the same menu.

Some improvements I would recommend, besides the obvious of overhauling the service, is having more to do in the early evening, especailly since the resort is so isolated. Would love to have a drink on the Seagrapes patio before dinner. Would love to see the telescopes come out after sundown to stargaze from the beach. Would really love a big sandy bonfire.

This resort has potential and if they can just get the service level up, then it would be amazing. I hope that can happen, because it truly is a beautiful place, and I'd like to be able to recommend it without hesitation in the future. But for now, if you want a fabulous setting and are willing to make your own vacation happen, rather than being taken care of, then this resort is perfect. Bring your own food, anticipate your every need, and rent a car. The facilities are great! But if you expect any reasonable level of service, go somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#19 of 46 in San Juan
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!