“Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hacienda Siesta Alegre

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rio Grande
Hacienda Siesta Alegre
Ranked #1 of 2 Rio Grande B&B and Inns
Grayslake, Illinois
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I can't add much to what has been said, so I'll keep it short.

My wife and I stayed in the treehouse for 3 nights and enjoyed the entire hacienda to ourselves. If you are a couple, stay in the treehouse. It's secluded, and has two outdoor clawfoot tubs to soak at night that are entirely hidden.

The breakfasts every morning were unique and delicious. The portions were enough that we just skipped lunch everyday!

The grounds are absolutely gorgeous and are worth exploring. Don't just hang around the main house, get out and seeing the working aspects of the hacienda. I'm a birder, so if you're into wildlife at all, there are many birds to be seen, including numerous endemics.

You are close to San Juan and Fajardo, but feel away from the crowds in beautiful countryside. To me, that's paradise.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Adam S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Let me start with the excellent aspects of staying at Hacienda Siesta Alegre:

- The setting is phenomenal. The pictures don't lie. This is a little piece of paradise. The gardens and grounds are spectacular, the Spanish style villa visually appealing, and the hammocks hung in just the right shady spot for lounging.
- I enjoyed the swimming pool as a wonderful morning ritual. Its a basic pool but sufficient for paddling around or even doing a few laps.
- The breakfasts were served in a palatial gazebo-like structure that house a living room professional kitchen, self-service bar, and tables in appealingly private little nooks looking out over the grounds. A wonderful way to start the day!
- And the food was delicious! We are vegetarians and so they cooked a special meal for us - lots of fresh fruit and breads, eggs and cooked greens. Each morning was different.
- The rooms are well appointed and comfortable.
- Greg and Linda are very nice, and helped us with tips about local restaurants and ways to arrange tours in El Yunque.

But unfortunately, there was a big downside of staying here, at least in March:

- They host lots of large, loud events. When we arrived on a Friday afternoon there was some sort of corporate retreat going on, with loudspeakers and music. Not too annoying since they cleared out by 6 pm and left us to enjoy the hacienda.
- Friday night we were told that there would be a big wedding on Saturday evening, and that it would be better if we stayed out late. We went to San Juan that day so we weren't too concerned. However, when we returned at 9:30 pm, the wedding was still going strong. In fact, it went until midnight with loud throbbing music. The rooms on the back side are well insulated so it wasn't even the sound that really bothered us. It was feeling like we were captives in our own rooms. The wedding occupied every aspect of the common space - the beautiful library was not the oasis for reading or borrowing books; the bar was inaccessible unless you wanted to wedding crash; and all those lovely seating areas and hammocks - nope! In fact, the events are so noisy and disruptive that the owners stay off site!
- We didn't receive a warning about Sunday night, but events repeated themselves.
- So while mornings and early afternoons were really quite lovely; most of the B&B was off limits throughout the evening and night.

Our biggest suggestion to the owners is this: if you plan to have a wedding that takes over the B&B common areas, then do not rent out rooms that weekend to non-participants; or if you do, give them fair warning at the time they book allowing the option to back out without penalty. You could still make your money by requiring the wedding party to rent out all the rooms for the evening.

An alternative: if you want to continue to do both weddings and managing a B&B, then build more of those lovely little outbuildings further from the main festivities and make sure that those out of the main area are accessible only to hotel guests - not to the wedding attendees. At a minimum, it would have been nice to have access to a bar where we could have a post-dinner drink and a common area where we could sit and enjoy said drink.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank AnnfromVA
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was our first trip to Puerto Rico, Our room was beautiful and very relaxing, No TV or clocks which made relaxing very easy. Greg and Linda, the owners, are wonderful people. Spent every night with them having drinks and good conversation. The staff was very helpful and the breakfast was to die for, Way more than we could ever eat. I am not a meat eater and Maria made me a meatless meal every morning. The new pond and waterfall out side our room door, was very soothing and helped was any stress I brought with me to this island paradise just wash away. Our room was the Orchid Room, right by the new bar and waterfall. From the hammock chars you could hear the music from the weddings. We sat every night in those chairs and just listened to the sounds of the rainforest and relaxed. Our bed was so comfortable, best sleep I have had in years!! The staff is very helpful and will help you plan your day trips or what ever you need!! We will be going back so much more to see and do on the island. If you choose to visit the Hacienda Siesta Alegre, you will not be disappointed. It is a little piece of paradise, so close to the beach and great food. Far enough away for a very peaceful and rest filled stay!! Love this place and we will be back many times, with friends!!!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room here, but if you want a little more privacy, the rooms by the waterfall are...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Anna-Lynne T
Muscatine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Hacienda Siesta Alegre has just become my favorite travel destination. The beautiful Spanish colonial designed Inn is tucked into a serene, tropical garden setting with beautiful views of the mountains and rainforest from every vista.
Hacienda Siesta Alegre a soul soother. My stress started fading away as I was driving onto the grounds.
There are plenty of activities in the area that cover a broad range of interest. Hiking, biking,beaching, snorkeling,boating, fishing, diving, zip lining and on and on. Good restaurants are plentiful in the area as well. I never got that far, I chose to stay put and take the opportunity to rejuvenate while I explored the grounds or lounged in one of the many hammocks found on every terrace. I am already looking forward to my next stay. My stay at Hacienda Siesta Alegre was pure bliss. I plan on returning very soon.

Room Tip: You have the opportunity to view rooms online. All of them appealed to me. It is just your personal...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

AWESOME wedding venue! My granddaughter had a destination wedding in Puerto Rico at Hacienda Siesta Alegre. It was the wedding, she had always dreamed of. There aren't words to describe how AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL everything was...from the surroundings to the Bridal Suite and everything in between, it couldn't have been better. We didn't have a wedding planner and made all the arrangements ourselves from abroad, but everything went along smoothly. Norma, the venue coordinator, helped us greatly making all the arrangements. The bar service, which is provided through the venue, was excellent and very well organized as expectations. Norma even gave me her private cell. number. Never abused it, though. She went above and beyond to make this wedding a fairytale one, like my granddaughter had dreamed of. WONDERFUL experience!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dagmar L
Munster, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We loved our stay and now that we've been home a month, it's about time I left the review...but I must say we were very impressed with the entire experience. Everyone is very kind and it was a one of a kind destination for us. We seek out unique stays off the beaten path and this was ever so slightly off the beaten path but just right for everything we wanted to do. Not to mention the place is absolutely gorgeous and you feel like you are staying in Ralph Lauren's villa. We appreciated the great service and they made us feel at ease even while traveling with our teenage children. We loved the location, the comfort, the breakfast, roaming the stables and admiring the horses, and just enjoying a drink in the hammock. It was a super break and we hope to come back someday, if only for a weekend away.
p.s. they even mailed us a few things we left behind...so kind of them to help us out!

Room Tip: I can't imagine that any of the rooms would be bad...we had the wedding suite...very private and...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ridingforchocolate
Key West
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful property. I stayed for 2 nights with family for a wedding. We had a great wedding and the property is beautiful, but I did not experience the peace and quiet all these reviews mention. The room I was given faced a construction site where they are adding another building and pool. There were a couple chairs and a hammock, but who wants to hang out by construction?

No problem, I thought, I will go relax in the common area of the beautiful open air house. There are several decks and other areas with beautiful views and breezes. However, about 30 minutes later, the common areas where overwhelmed with workers setting up for what I learned was going to be a corporate event. There was so much activity and set up going on, I felt in the way. An upper deck area with a view of the sea had 2 hammocks, but when I went there, the hammocks had been moved and there were chairs and tables being stored there. We went into Old San Juan that night, but I could not imagine staying there during the corporate party.

The next day was the wedding I attended, which once again, was being set up in the afternoon and took over most of the property. The wedding was beautiful and the setting was a big part of it.

As others have said, the staff is very friendly and the breakfast is outstanding. The room was comfortable and clean. There was no shampoo in the bathroom, which seemed strange, but we had a small bottle from the resort we stayed in prior to this.

I would rate this 5 stars for service and as an event venue, but can not say the same as a place to spend a couple quiet nights, unless you get assurances that there is no big event planned. Based on the reviews, maybe large events are not that common, but I would have been very unhappy if I was an overnight guest not affiliated with an event when I was there.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
El Escondido Guest House
El Escondido Guest House
#1 of 2 in Canovanas

Been to Hacienda Siesta Alegre? Share your experiences!