“Great place for privacy, space, and beautiful ocean views”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Ocean Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rio Grande
The Ocean Villas
Philadelphia, PA
“Great place for privacy, space, and beautiful ocean views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

The Ocean Villas is a great choice for people who seek privacy, space, and ocean views for a (relatively) reasonable price during the busy Christmas week! We rented a one bedroom villa at the Ocean Vacation Villas for 4 people (2 teenage daughters) from Dec. 24 for a week. The villa was well decorated and very spacious with a balcony overlooking the pool/ocean. The grounds are beautiful, clean, and well kept, and villa guests have access to all the facilities at the Wyndham resort. Our unit had a few minor problems (sofabed and blender broken, no bottle opener, etc.), but the management was very responsive, bringing us a roll-away bed for no extra charge and supplying a new blender and bottle opener that day)

Advantages:
PRIVACY! The beach was practically empty – maybe 5 or 10 families on a large beach – even though it was the busiest time of the year, and similarly, the pool was very quiet. We spoke to someone who owns a villa there, and she said that many of the owners don’t rent their units. As we looked down the beach to the crowded resort, we felt very grateful to be enjoying a practically empty beach.

Space: The one bedroom unit was quite large, so for the same price that we usually pay for one bedroom at a resort, we had one bedroom with a king size bed, a large living room, small (but well furnished) kitchen, and balcony with table and chairs.

View: Again, the price was what we normally pay for a room at a resort in the Caribbean over Christmas week (which is a lot, as everyone who travels during that week knows!), but where we usually have a room far from the beach, here all the rooms are ocean front with a beautiful view.

Location: The villas are close to many activities including the El Yunque national forest, bio luminescent bay etc. so there are many things to do if you can drag yourself away from the beach. It’s only about ½ hour from San Juan as well.

Day time activities at the resort: They have a lot of tennis courts (Har Tru and hard) – you have to pay $25/court, but they will try to arrange games if you don’t have a partner. The resort offers water activities –wave runners, kayaks, boogie boards, etc.--and the surfing instructor was wonderful.

Pool: Ocean Villas has its own very quiet, free form pool, Jacuzzi, wading pool, as well as an adult pool for swimming laps. The pool has a padded, gradual entry on one side which would be an advantage for people with small children.

Disadvantages:
Evening Activities for teens/young adults: Surprisingly, the Wyndham didn’t offer any nighttime activities for teens—a nightclub, dancing, etc.—not even during the busy Christmas season, and people under 25 are not allowed to drive the rental cars. I think young adults would need to go all the way to San Juan to find clubs so it would be extremely expensive to take a cab; basically, teens/young adults should be prepared to spend evenings with the family.

Air conditioners: The air conditioners in the rooms are quite loud when they go on at night which could bother some people. Our units had ceiling fans, so I suppose you could turn the fan on high and turn off the air conditioner if the noise was a problem for you.

Hot water: The water in our unit was hot, but not steaming hot, and friends staying in another unit had the same issue. Each unit has a separate water heater but it couldn’t be turned up and the management couldn’t fix it. It was fine for me—I even took a few baths—but if you like steaming hot showers, it could be a problem.
Dining: We only ate at the hotel once (the buffet) as judging from the online menus and reviews, the restaurants there are very expensive and nothing special. The local restaurants we tried (Guava’s, El Rincon Del Sabor, and Lolita’s) were all fine, but if you’re a foody, you may need to drive to San Juan to find exceptional meals.

The ocean: The beach is wide and beautiful, with palm trees for afternoon shade, but the resort is on the Atlantic side of Puerto Rico so the ocean looks more like the greenish ocean at the Jersey shore than the turquoise blue Caribbean.

Tips:
Rental car: I would definitely recommend renting a car – the villas supposedly deliver food, but it’s much more convenient to be able to go to the grocery store yourself (we went once the first day we arrived) and having a car gives you a lot more options for dinner and outside activities. If you play a lot of tennis the car is convenient as well as the courts are quite far from the villas. In any case, I believe that the cost of renting a car for a week was about what we would have paid for airport transfers both ways for 4 people (not to mention the cost savings in not having to eat at the hotel every night, driving to San Juan and El Yunque forest instead of paying to take tours, etc.)

Beach Chairs: The chairs on the beach are quite old and run down, and for some reason, there are only about 15 chairs on the beach. They have nice, new (and very light) chairs on wheels at the pool, however, and when we were there, people regularly brought pool chairs down the beach. Security walking by never gave anyone a problem about it.

WiFi: Judging from some of the other reviews, not every unit has WiFi, but our unit had free WiFi that worked very well; I would request a room with WiFi.

Room/Location: Our villa had tile floors so there wasn’t an issue with musty carpets. The main room had an older TV (though there was a flat screen in the bedroom), but there was a large flat screen in the closet so I’m guessing the regular TV in the unit was broken. Our friends specifically requested a room with a flat screen TV, which might be a good idea. Villas in the east building are closer to the resort which could be a factor if you have small children, but they’re further away from the main desk if you don’t have maid service and need to exchange towels.

Supplies: Our unit only had a little soap for the automatic dishwasher and a roll of paper towels in the kitchen, so we had to buy everything—sugar, salt/pepper, dish washing soap, napkins, butter, etc. It would be wise to check out what’s in the unit before shopping to avoid extra trips to Amigos.

Maid Service: They charge extra for maid service but it was worth to have them come a couple of times – they did a very good job, brought lots of towels, etc. Otherwise, towels can be exchanged at the front desk.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank corima

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon and had a great time. The beach and the pools were perfect. We were able to swim most of the time without anyone in the pools with us so that was nice and the beach from the pool is just footsteps away. We had full access to the Wyndham next to the villas for breakfast and what not. One thing I would recommend is to shop at the nearby grocery stores to save yourself some money on food. There is no place to buy food or eat food at the Villas so you have to be willing to buy your own food or go next door to the Wyndham. We spent on average $50-$60 per couple for our meals at the Wyndham....I hope this review helps. BTW the location was in the middle of all the places you want to visit.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UtahOutdoors
Dallas Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

We just returned from Puerto Rico (beautiful beaches, water, palms, and very economical to fly ). Dad, Mom, two older teens stayed at Ocean Villas (two bedroom villa overlooking pools and beach). Amazing location right on beautiful beach with palms filled with coconuts and sort of secluded. The Wyndham Rio Mar Resort is right next door if you want a nice restaurant. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TexasHawaiiFan
NY burbs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

Our family of 4 (ages 5 and 7) stayed during the week of Easter in a two bedroom villa booked through Xavier. Our villa was located in the building closest to the hotel on the 2nd floor.

Positives: gorgeous view and location - exactly as advertised. Pool/beach much less crowed than the hotel (although crowded during the long Easter weekend), great to have kitchen for breakfast, some lunches and two large bedrooms and bath.

Negatives: villa was run down and while clean, seemed dirty. Carpets stained, furniture stained, ceiling popcorn peeling, etc. Six lightbulbs were burned out and two remotes didn't work. While they were all replaced promptly (after I called the concierge), I think for $600 a night, the villa should have been checked prior to our arrival. The shower head fell on my foot during a shower. The A/C units are NOISY as in they will wake you up when they kick on in the middle of the night. I wonder if our experience would have been better in a different villa as others seems nicer when we peeked. I don't know though.

However our primary disapointment was the kids club. I had been assured by Xavier that we could use the kids club at the hotel. When I reserved through him the week prior, I was then advised there was no night time club (strike one). When we arrived, I had to (again) confirm with the concierge (who then make the actual reservation at that time). the last straw was when management closed kids club at the last minute for a large hotel group. I know there's blame with both the hotel and Xavier, we got the impression that the relationship between the villas and the hotel was stressed.

Lack of onsite restaurant/bar was a major drag.
No phone line and no way to get internet. Had to use the hot spot in the hotel.

I loved that my kids got to play with local villa kids during the weekend and vacation kids. I loved the location right on the beach. However I don't think we'll go back.

Room Tip: I wish I knew as we didn't get it.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Gooselee
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

This was our 3rd time renting thru Xavier at resortvillarentals.com. We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath ocean villa on the 5th floor (great view). Unfortunately the weather wasn't very good, but mother nature is to blame for that. Because both my son and I have bad allergies, Xavier made it a point to have the bedroom carpets cleaned prior to our arrival. The unit was very clean, but one of the bedrooms had a very musty odor (I think after the carpet was shampood, cleaning left a bedroom window open). I informed Xavier of this and he promptly bought us a brand new dehumidifier and had someone set it up. I didn't even have to request it, it was just done. they made sure to call 1st, so we'd be in the villa. I loved waking up every morning and drinking my coffee on the balcony looking at the ocean. What a fabulous view and way to start the day. We made good use of the washer/dryer and always had good water pressure in the showers. Oh and the beds were so comfortable.

Restaurant reviews:

Mirimar Cafe Le Pared - I realize this was Xmas day, but I called beforehand to make sure they were open. Had a nice conversation with the owner from NJ. The restaurant had I think 1 other table seated, but it took forever to get our food. The food was good, but I would never return. It took over 2 hours to get our main course (remember not crowded) and then we ordered dessert (heard great things about the fried cheesecake). After another 45, no dessert. Finally my husband told the waitress, we just wanted our checks (had been up since 4 am). We had to ask twice. I think what upset me the most is they told us we wouldn't be charged for dessert. REALLY, an hour after ordering it, we still didn't have it. More people did come in while we were there, but our order was put in (I hope) before most of the people arrived.

La Estacion - Absolutely Delicious, even better than when we visited in Feb. We had grilled yellowtail snapper, ribs (omg, so good) and skirt steak. Ate inside this time and service was good. We planned on going back our last night in PR, but when I called they were very honest and told me they were completely booked.

La Parilla - Good, not overwhelmed this time. Expensive.

Ay Bonita Grill - Wrote a separate review for this little gem. Food was fabulous, good value and owners very nice.

Lollitas - We were tired, but decent food and good value.

El Jefe Burger - As in Feb, took awhile to get food, but burger was great. Not nearly as long as Mirimar Cafe Le Pared.

One day we did the rainforest (was pouring there), but had fun. This time I brought my watershoes and they worked great.

Walked around OSJ and did a little shopping. Ate a a middle eastern restaurant (forget the name) but it was very good and fun to people watch.

Amost forgot, rented a vehicle thru Enterprise. They were great. They didn't have the class of car we reserved, so they upgraded us to a Suzuki SUV. It was in really good shape and very clean. Service was prompt and wouldn't hesitate to rent thru them again.

I just want to note I gave the villas only a 3 for value. That's because (for us, at least) prices are high Xmas week. Also, even though the villas are well maintaned, they are older and I usually prefer a little newer (in comparison to the golf villa we rented in FEb at Rio Mar Village).

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Dian
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

We rented an Ocean Villa through Xavier Cautino of resortvillarentals.com and loved our villa and the resort. We had been looking for a long time to rent a beachfront villa inside the premises of a Caribbean resort at a rate we could afford. We searched everywhere and when we finally came up with The Ocean Villas at the Wyndham Rio Mar Resort, we knew it was exactly what we were looking for.

We wanted to stay there for the holiday period, but by the time we called they were already sold out of 2 and 3 bedroom villas for the time. We ended up staying the week before the holiday period and it ended up working great for us, as that week was significantly lower in cost that the holiday week, plus we also saved in our airfare.
We were 3 couples and rented a beautiful 3 bedroom, 3 full bath villa on the first floor of the building, literary a stone throw away from the hotel. Our villa was the corner villa of the building closest to the hotel with easy access on the back to the hotel, beach, and pools. The location could not have been better!!

Villa was super clean, with spectacular views, tastefully decorated and enormous. We were amazed by the size of the bedrooms (all with large plasma TVs), as well as the size of the bathrooms. The dining table had seating for 8, the living room also had another huge TV (if not mistaken it was 52”).

The service provided by resortvillarentals.com was impeccable. This agency has a full time handyman on site that speaks perfect English. He helped us with our luggage, and with figuring out how some of the appliances at the villa worked. He was very friendly and when we called he was there is less than two minutes. We found it very convenient to have him there. He even offered to help us figure out how my new camera worked! They also have a full time concierge which was very helpful in pointing out which activities to do and which dates were best for us to do them. For example, we had no idea that the bio bay is best seen on a moonless or cloudy night.
We were 3 couples looking for a fun, adventurous weekend, but at the same time some days we wanted to just relax at the beach/pool. I was impressed at the lot of great things to do nearby. Puerto Rico is not like other Caribbean islands that you spend most of your time at the beach and your hotel. Here we had so many things to do nearby. We loved hiking in the El Yunque Forest and going to the waterfalls, the ATV tour that the concierge recommended was a lot of fun, especially when crossing all the muddy puddles of El Yunque, the kayak bio bay tour was also fantastic. We even went ziplining, which I never expected to do in my life, and it was great! Some of the things we wanted but did not get to do, was to rent a private crewed sailboat for a day, and to go Old San Juan.

One of the reasons for the trip was to rest from our stressful jobs, so some of the days we just spend at the pool. The villa’s pool grounds are so beautiful and relaxing, so many plants and palm trees, it is like an extension of the forest, plus you have the beach right there. It is truly a magical and impressive site. We found the pool area to be clean, with comfortable lounge chairs, and overall very well maintained. Most times we had the pool to ourselves, when he had enough relaxing we just walked down to the hotel Tiki Bar, which is a beautiful beachfront bar on a deck with calypso music. We also spend some time at the hotel casino and spa. The guys went golfing twice. The hotel pools we did not use as we found them too crowded.

As for restaurants, we went to several of the off-site restaurants that Xavier recommended and enjoyed them a lot. Their relax island atmosphere and the quality of the food and great prices were a pleasant surprise. I expect to write reviews for them also.

In all, we loved Puerto Rico and staying at the Ocean Villas. Puerto Rico has so much to offer and the Ocean Villa we rented was fabulous and the service we received was outstanding. We are already planning our trip back next year!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank MA_Cat43
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

We just spent spring break at the Villas and had a really wonderful experience.

We booked our 2 bedroom, 2 bath oceanfront Villa through Xavier Cautino. The process was easy - Xavier was helpful and professional and promptly answered all our questions. The whold transaction was handled via internet / e-mail. We rented a car and drove to the resort from the airport, although the Villas will send a van if you prefer (we saw the driver waiting for another party when we were heading toward baggage claim). Parking was free in a gated lot across the street from the Villa. Check in with the on-site concierge was quick and easy - a brief stop at the desk and then up the elevators to our rooms. Our kitchen had been pre-stocked with 25 food items we'd requested in advance, so we were able to have a quick meal as soon as we'd settled in.

The Villa is laid out like a king bed hotel room connected to a one-bedroom suite with kitchenette. Each bedroom (one king, one with 2 double beds) has its own full, modern bathroom and flatscreen TV. The beds in both bedrooms were very comfortable and well-equipped with lots of good quality pillows. There are oceanfront balconies off the king bedroom and the living room, each having a small round table and 2 or 3 chairs. The views are stunning - lap pool directly below, and beachfront just beyond. Really nice for morning coffee, lunch, reading, watching the sunrise, etc.

The living room has a couch with a full-sized pull-out bed, a second couch, a huge, flatscreen TV and a 4-seat kitchen table. The kitchen itself is fairly tiny - a petit gally really - but it is serviceable. It comes with all basic equipment, including a blender, coffeemaker, toaster, assortment of pots, pans, dishes, etc. Totally fine for simple breakfasts and lunches, but a bit limiting if you plan to have most dinners in. And yes, there is a dishwasher.

There are also a washer and dryer in the unit, which was awesome.

The Villas equip the units with a set of bath towels, a set of beach towels, blow dryers, bath soap, initial toilet paper and paper towels. You need to provide everything else, which is easy given the proximity of many Amigo food stores and Walgreens pharmacies along Rt. 3, which leads right up to the resort's access road.

The Villas are a set of 5 story buildings with two oceanfront pools (a lap pool and a beautiful infinity pool). There are also a little kiddie pool and a hot tub. All of these pools were immaculately clean and featured plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas for the guests - no overcrowding, chair-hording or other unpleasantness existed. The beach in front of the Villas was also very well kept - sand was raked regularly, there were plenty of beach loungers available, some permanent tiki umbrellas were located between the pool area and the water as well. The landscaping was really lovely, and provided all sorts of choices for sunny or shady seating. There was a grill provided for guest use by the lap pool, and we saw several groups using it in turns for lunches and dinners.

There is a restaurant facility on the Villa grounds, but we were told that it no longer functions as such - it is now available only for banquets, weddings, private parties, etc., so if you're looking for a restaurant meal you can walk to, it's off to the main resort.

The main Wyndham resort was essentially right next door - a couple of minutes walk along the beach. The environment, while also beautiful, was in other ways very different from the Villas. The main hotel is enormous, and yet at times it seemed packed to the gills - big events (a medical convention was one) taking place over the weekend brought tons of people out - loud tent parties, etc. The hotel pool was very crowded, and I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to find seating. We were very grateful that the Villa pools were calm and serene, and that the Villas had employees checking to be sure that only Villa guests were using their facilities. The main hotel has a few restaurants and a lobby bar. We had one lunch at the poolside grill, which in a nutshell, was a mistake - very long wait for service, overpriced flavorless food, and oddly stuffy for an outdoor space (needed some ceiling fans or something). We had drinks at the lobby bar while watching some of the NCAA basketball tournament, which was fun, but expect to pay $7.50 for a beer. There is also a pastry shop, which our teenagers liked and visited daily. We never saw the sushi restaurant open (although it must have been at some point), so we never got to try it out. Instead, we went out for dinner most nights - once to Richie's (don't - very overpriced, lousy service, poor food - the view is the only selling point, and if it's dinner time, no view to see due to darkness), twice to seafood restaurants in Luquillo (Sandy's Seafood and another one just down the street - both very casual, reasonably priced and a little quirky but very good and basic food - great grouper and red snapper), once to Las Vegas (on the road to the rain forest - was pretty good - great grouper again), once to Don Pepe's on Rt. 3 (Puerto Rican food - huge menu, great mofongo), and once to the Luquillo kiosks (anything you want, about 5 min down
Rt. 3).

From the Villas, it is a quick drive to the rain forest (10 min or so), to Fajardo for the Bioluminescent kayak trip, snorkeling, scuba, etc. (20-30 min drive), and Old San Juan (20-30 min).

We loved our week in the Villas and would happily return. The only negative? The elevators - they had repair people out almost daily, but never seemed to cure the frightening sounds they made (we thought we were going to drop 5 floors on more than one occasion), the erratic service, or the complete lack of ventilation (you can imagine how pleasant that is on a hot, steamy day).

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,117 reviews
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Been to The Ocean Villas? Share your experiences!