“A Perfect Honeymoon at the Sol Melia” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
Seattle, Washington
“A Perfect Honeymoon at the Sol Melia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed at the Sol Melia Vacation Club, not at Gran Melia, so I can't speak to that hotel, but the vacation club was absolutely superb. We had trouble finding the place and as we found it it was like entering paradise. We were greeted with mimosas and a bottle of champagne and everything was just perfect for our whole stay. They even upgraded our room for us! I can't speak anything better about this place. Our room had 2 hot tubs. One inside and one on the balcony. The room was around 1000 sqft. Beautifully decorated and totally modern with these cool japanese style sliding doors. Shower was phenomenal and the little kitchen came in handy. The onsite restaurants are also phenomenal.
The location of this resort is utterly breathtaking on this little private peninsula jutting into the ocean. Make sure to walk the property. The Yunque is also just 10 minutes away.
My wife and I have traveled all over the world and the nicest resort we've ever stayed remains the Sol Melia Vacation Club in Puerto Rico. Well done to the staff and thanks for a great honeymoon... Stay here and you will not regret it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CultureCouple2
Mariana R, E-Guest Experience at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear CultureCouple2,

Thank you so much for writing us a very complete review regarding your Honeymoon.
We are glad you decided to spend this special occasion with us, and even better, that we exceeded your expectations.

We hope you had such a great time that you decide to come back every year and spend your anniversary at our Resort.

Looking forward to see you soon,

Warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,356)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

I recommend this hotel, Red Level (top category) has so many privileges and exclusive pool for the guests. An exclusive lounge, free drinks and Internet. Obviously they need to change some things about the service in the Red Level Lounge, more training for the employees to satisfy the guest.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mariana R, E-Guest Experience Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Grisel R,

Thanks so much for taking the time on sending us your review.
We are happy on knowing that you had a great time during your recent visit at Gran Melia Puerto Rico.

We also, thaks you for your comments and observations regarding the training for the staff. Currently we are working on it in order to improve our guest service and experience.

Looking forward to welcome you again at our Resort,

Santa Monica, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

In late March, my company sent a few hundred of us to the Gran Melia for our President's Club award trip. I was excited to travel to Puerto Rico for my first time but was somewhat hesitant given the mixed reviews of the resort. Our checkin was done by our company so no problems there, and my sister and I got the red level beachview room, building 19 I think. Very nice room and beautiful view, patio even had a jacuzzi tub! Our first afternoon we went to the red level pool and the bartenders/butler service was good. Most of our group was arriving over a day, then our planned activities started. A note about the housekeeping...it was nonexistent. We had to call every day to get the room cleaned, and their level of "clean" was not acceptable. When the place you sleep isn't cleaned well, makes you wonder what other parts of the resort are not clean.

The rest of our stay turned into disapppointment after disappointment. The weather became horrible, raining for most of 2 days. The resort staff was completely unprepared for how to deal with the rain, and there were no dry towels available to dry off when we did brave the weather to run between room & main resort area. We decided to use the spa since our other activities were cancelled by the resort. Our massages were ok, but I was charged $100 for a pedicure I'm rating the worst of my life. My friend who got a pedicure after me was actually burned on her neck by the heated towel they gave her. The spa did not provide towels or robes/sandals, so the ladies in the locker room were all walking around complaining about the service (or severe lack thereof given the cost of services). I called 4 different people to complain about the spa service and was never called back for the rest of my stay. At checkout, I refused to pay the spa fee and the girl checking me out called someone and without any apology just took the fee off my bill.

The dining options were ok, I definitely expected more for the kind of resort this place claims to be. We ate at the sushi restaurant (can't remember the name) one night and there were bones in our sushi roll. I've never had that happen, we were shocked. Surprisingly, our server brought the manager over and they brought us a round of drinks. That was the first and only time in our entire stay that we had someone attempt to correct a complaint we had.

For an award trip, this was a resort that clearly did not know or care how to handle/treat large groups. Given the bad weather, the resort staff didn't seem to even know how to handle our group that was clearly frustrated by no options of activities besides drinking or playing board games. My sister was my guest and never got to leave the resort since our excurstions both days were cancelled. The sun finally came out the last day we had and we took a few pictures along the shoreline. The pool areas were beautiful, and I heard nice things about the golf course but those things couldn't salvage our feelings about the place. I'm betting there are nicer areas to stay in Puerto Rico that will offer true service distinctions between "levels". Personally, I'm not planning on ever returning to this resort and probably not Puerto Rico. I'm really glad I did not pay for this trip, but still so disappointing to be given an "award trip" that fails to impress.

Room Tip: We all stayed in Red Level rooms, the beach view much preferrable to garden view (which is basically...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank RaKaHa
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

Didnt have any issues with front desk. Checkin was easy. Everyone was very chatty. Bungalow was nice. Very spacious. Balcony light didnt work. Spent most of the time in the huge pool. Beach was fine. Had to wear bracelet the whole time we were at the resort which was annoying. Great experience.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank boredboredboredI
Mariana R, E-Guest Experience Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear boredboredboredl,

Thank you very much for taking the time on writing us a review about your recent stay at Gran Melia Puerto Rico.
We are glad to know that you and your family had a great time here and were able to enjoy the Hotel facilities and services: as well we hope this is not the last time you visit us.

The reason why we provide our guests a bracelet is to identify you first of all as our guests, and if you travel with a group or not. Sometimes we have groups and they have special banqueting or events. We feel very sorry this made you not to feel comofrtable, but with this we want to identify every guest and provide all of you the service you deserve.

Looking forward to welcome you again,

Orlando, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

I had the worst experience at this hotel..The room smell very bad and the air conditioning was not working good..
Room are a nice distances away from parking and we have to walk every time...also they charge us parking fee twice..
A few days after we left the hotel I noticed that they charge my account an extra date when I call they told me that we check out the hotel after 12:00 pm, and we really left the hotel around 10:30 am..They never want to give us credit for this..
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Nancysammy
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

My husband and I spent a week at this amazing resort! The private, complimentary bali beds at the Red Level pool was a fantastic way to lounge in a little shade. The Red Level pool bartenders Manny & Gus were so much fun and great friends of ours by the end of the week!
Angel, the butler was always available to make your stay more comfortable. Try the whole stuffed fish in Pasion! They also had the best dessert at the resort- chocolate souffle.
Ask the concierge about Richie's Cafe. They have a private, free shuttle that will pick you up at the hotel and drive you to their mountain top restaurant where you can enjoy Mafungo (Puerto Rican specialty) and mojitos! Richie, the owner will be over to your table many times to make sure you're enjoying yourself!

Room Tip: Choose the red level!! its SO worth it! private, adult pool, complimentary breakfast & happy hou...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tara J
Dear Tara J,

Thanks so much for taking the time and write a review about your recent stay at Gran Melia Puerto Rico.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed the Red Level Experience, and that employees, as Gus, Manny & of course Angel your Butler, made you enjoy the hotel even better.
We are focused and committed o make all our guests enjoy the Hotel and have a great experience such as you had it.

We look forward to welcome you soon at Gran Melia Puerto Rico,

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

Lets do a practical review for people on this website. Why don't people put prices down? Thats what matters and it took me forever to even know how much red level service cost.

1) Listen to what people said before: I used hotwire and got the Gran Melia for $85 a night. I was freaking out because of the reviews and thought I was going to get the Rio Mar.

2)Check in is by far the worst part about his resort. We arrived at 1am and waited to check-in with 5 people in front of us until 2:30am. i am not exaggerating, and if anything we waited longer than an hour and half.

3) Red Level is $100 extra for a garden view and $150 extra a night for beach view. They were sold out so we did what Tripadvisor said and asked for building 15. Best location. Other bungalows are literally over a quarter mile away and we were right next to the pool. Best service w/ cleaning ladies too.

3. Rented from Avis from the airport, the free parking is for Avis rented from Gran Melia but the Avis guy was cool and gave us free parking saved us $15 a day x 5 days.

4. Room: couch showed its age. Huge room. Clean. Slight mildew smell that every other island hotel rooms has (even the Ritz). It was fine and for $85 a night I was pretty pumped.

5. Cost: Sack it up you are a resort. We went to a Ralphs 10 minutes down the road and bought beer, water, snacks, wine....no prob sneaking it in just dont keep it in the plastic bags.

6. Sign up beforehand for Mas card: 10% off all restaurants and bars (except Pasion). So a beer at the pool was like $6 w/ 10% off was $5.40, how much should they charge? Mas card gives 50% off breakfast. So $12 continental breakfast was $6 for unlimited coffee, fruit, yogurt.

7. Luigi's pizza is gross but if you find yourself in a bind its like $20 for a pie and it is pretty terrible. 2 out of 10 rating.

8. Don't snorkel off the beach, dead coral reef, murky water and no fish

9. Pasion is overhyped.

10. Kioskos had good food. #2 La Parilla was really expensive like $30-$40 an entree. Kioskos are gritty but food is good, I wouldn't pay $40 an entree to be surrounded by broken glass, and bikers.

11. Ate at Fern at St. Regis, for $40 a an entree that place is really classy but pricey like Jean George does.

Overall, listen to the other reviewers. Don't go in expecting the front desk to help you with ANYTHING so just avoid them. The Pool food was also a great deal ilke $14 a burger and $11 a huge salad; but again you have 10% off everything and the food was better than expected.

Room Tip: building 14,15 or 16 w/ preference to 15
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,546 reviews
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!