I stayed with my wife and 2 daughters at Gran Melia in December. I was somewhat skeptical based on a number of the reviews but it exceeded my expectations. The hotel is about 25 minutes from the san juan airport, so I would definitely recommend renting a car. When you get off the main road and enter the hotel property, it is pretty scenic with palm trees and surrounded by a large golf course, which made for a nice entrance.
Upon arrival at 1pm, I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to check in early - the process only took about 5 minutes and I got a room right near the pool (which I had requested in advance). The lobby area is very nice and was decorated for Christmas. One of the workers took us to our room on a golf cart and gave a nice tour of the property on the way there.
The room was a nice size, with 2 beds and a decent size living area with a couch, as well as a balcony. Unfortunately the beds themselves were pretty uncomfortable - seemed a bit worn out. Other than that, the room was fine.
The pool is massive (and open 24 hours, although I didn't use it at night other than to sit by it in a chair). There is a pool bar which had decent drinks. Expensive compared to a local bar but about the same as any other island resort I've been to. A happy hour at the pool bar would have been nice, however. The waiters were very friendly, although they do not come around to take drink orders, you have to go to them. I went to the same waiter every day and by the 2nd day he knew my room number and what I wanted to drink, and would bring it to me. The food at the pool bar is typical Caribbean pool food (i.e. nothing special, but fine to munch on until dinner).
There isn't really much of a beach, although we did spend one afternoon tucked away in chairs under some palm trees which was relaxing.
I didn't try any of the hotel restaurants, so can't comment on those. There are a number of good restaurants nearby that didn't seem overly touristy, so we stuck to those.
Overall I would recommend this for a family trip if you enjoy relaxing by the pool or near the ocean. I would definitely stay there again next time i visit Puerto Rico.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an idyllic location on Puerto Rico's northeastern coast in Coco Beach, Rio Grande, Melia coco beach Puerto Rico brings the privacy and exclusivity you deserve and allows you the opportunity to escape from the rest of the world. From the moment you step inside this tropical oasis, you will be enveloped by the beauty and grandeur of Melia coco beach Puerto Rico. Boasting a world-class YHI spa, the nearby International Golf Club and the best pool on the island with four integrated whirlpools, Melia Puerto Rico is the place to live the true resort experience in Puerto Rico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Melia, Booking.com, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Melia Coco Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Hotel Rio Grande
- Gran Melia Rio Grande
- Sol Melia Rio Grande
- Paradisus Puerto Rico
- Melia Coco Beach Puerto Rico/Rio Grande