“Great time at Gran Melia”
Review of Melia Coco Beach

Melia Coco Beach
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed with my wife and 2 daughters at Gran Melia in December. I was somewhat skeptical based on a number of the reviews but it exceeded my expectations. The hotel is about 25 minutes from the san juan airport, so I would definitely recommend renting a car. When you get off the main road and enter the hotel property, it is pretty scenic with palm trees and surrounded by a large golf course, which made for a nice entrance.

Upon arrival at 1pm, I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to check in early - the process only took about 5 minutes and I got a room right near the pool (which I had requested in advance). The lobby area is very nice and was decorated for Christmas. One of the workers took us to our room on a golf cart and gave a nice tour of the property on the way there.

The room was a nice size, with 2 beds and a decent size living area with a couch, as well as a balcony. Unfortunately the beds themselves were pretty uncomfortable - seemed a bit worn out. Other than that, the room was fine.

The pool is massive (and open 24 hours, although I didn't use it at night other than to sit by it in a chair). There is a pool bar which had decent drinks. Expensive compared to a local bar but about the same as any other island resort I've been to. A happy hour at the pool bar would have been nice, however. The waiters were very friendly, although they do not come around to take drink orders, you have to go to them. I went to the same waiter every day and by the 2nd day he knew my room number and what I wanted to drink, and would bring it to me. The food at the pool bar is typical Caribbean pool food (i.e. nothing special, but fine to munch on until dinner).

There isn't really much of a beach, although we did spend one afternoon tucked away in chairs under some palm trees which was relaxing.

I didn't try any of the hotel restaurants, so can't comment on those. There are a number of good restaurants nearby that didn't seem overly touristy, so we stuck to those.

Overall I would recommend this for a family trip if you enjoy relaxing by the pool or near the ocean. I would definitely stay there again next time i visit Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: Request a room near the pool in advance.
2  Thank scronin529
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear scronin529,

Thank you for posting this wonderful review of Gran Meliá Golf Resort on TripAdvisor. Our staff is dedicated to making you feel right at home.

We take pride in offering our guests excellent service in addition to stellar accommodations. We thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family. Hope you come back real soon.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (6,544)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Just returned from EOY / New Year's trip to Puerto Rico Gran Melia. The property is very nice and lush (beautiful plants/trees, great views of ocean, etc), the weather in late December was fantastic - that is where the compliments will end. The property is very understaffed - which contributes to the poor service, LONG wait times (think over an hour for drinks to your Bali Bed @ main pool & 90 minutes for room service) and general shortness of the staff. We were constantly waiting unreasonable long periods of time for something - drinks, food, someone to help, a cart for transport, towels, any request. We did the Red Level service, it's worth it for the free breakfast and cocktails at end of the day - the private pool is helpful, but you will have to 'tip' very well to get a Bali Bed there and then it's a crapshoot as to what will come about. The food at both pools is pretty good - burgers, chicken sandwich, etc. The steakhouse was by far the best meal we had on property; it's pricey, but worth it. The buffet @ Cafe Soleil for dinner is NOT good, the breakfast there is very good. If you are OK with 'island time' and want to spend excess money, then you might enjoy a week here, but we were just not able to do that; frustration on a daily basis and a staff that quite frankly did not give a damn in most cases - they would not follow through on their comments/commitments and our problems were our problems. We eventually found a local liquor store and brought our own, we literally served ourselves for over half of the trip. One exception - Ashley in the Red Level lounge was very good and met our expectations based on how much the resort costs (think $450+ per night for Red Level Ocean View).

Local food & experience that is worth the effort - Richie's Cafe that is close to the Wyndham. It's hard to get someone to tell you how to get there, but once you find it you think, wow that is easy (15-20 minutes from Melia). They will come and pick you up via a van outside the main gates of the Melia. If you are driving, go out the main road to the Melia and turn left at the first light (Interstate 3) and then a few miles later, watch for signs to the Wyndham - you will turn left towards that resort; once on that road you will see signs for Richie's; they have valet parking, use it, the walk from the parking is tricky. The food was great and the service even better, Richie's family works the joint and they take great care of you.

Other insight:
- AT&T phone service is excellent; LTE on most of the island and it's a life saver if you are driving; Google Maps got us everywhere we needed when we left the property
- Old San Juan is pretty cool - great architecture and history; good food options; great shopping; it's worth a 1/2 day to 3/4 day trip down there
- We rented car from Avis; it was dicey on the day of arrival as they did not have enough cars, but we lucked out and got a mini van like we reserved, many people were there for hours without such luck. The resort has an Avis desk and you may be better taking shuttle to resort and then renting from local / on-site desk - we did not know that was an option until we got on property.
- There are actually 2 markets on site - the one in the main building that most people will find easily, then another one called Paradise Market which is over by the vacation club; it has liquor sales (see comment above) as well as some better packaged food, snacks, etc - it's a nice option (after waiting for 90 minues for room service, we went there for a 'backup')
- Beach is not good; grassy bottom, rocky, etc - it's great to view and take in the scenery, but not a swimming option.
- Will restate the piece about island time - it's like on steroids at this place; you cannot get in a hurry; set your expectations to lounge, read, listen to music, take a nap in the hammocks (right by the beach) - you will be less frustrated.

2  Thank JDubU
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear JDubU,

Thank you for your review and comments; they will be used to help our team to provide an excellent experience for future guests. We are so sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your stay.

We would like an opportunity to gather more details of your vacations and the challenges you experienced. You can reach our Guest Service area to GMPRGuestExperience@granmeliapr.com

Our team would love to show you that your experience was an unfortunate exception to the Meliá experience.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My family and I stayed at the Gran Melia for 2 nights Dec 21-23, 2013. The hotel is outdated and the rooms were terrible. We had a Junior Suite Garden View. The room smelled of mold so strong and the couch was stained. It just overall felt dirty. I didn't realized that we would be trapped there. The restaurant's were extremely pricey and mediocre. The customer service was terrible. The pools and overall grounds are very nice. The beach area is rocky not very swimmable. The phone in the room would just start beeping in the middle of the night. We also had prepaid for this hotel with ground transportation. They initially stated that we did not have shuttle reservations and it took 3 hours to get picked up from the airport after multiple phone calls to the resorts. Beware of this hotel!!

3  Thank msbmw4
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for offering us your review about your recent visit to Gran Meliá Puerto Rico. We apologize for the inconvenience with the room and the customer service.

We are always trying to improve our service and we want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved.

On behalf of our team we hope you will return and give us another chance.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Spent a week hear and enjoyed our stay. However, there are a few things to take note of:
1. You are 45 minutes east of San Juan (so all of those trips or visits to Old San Juan, the Plaza Las Americas will take a while). Unless you plan to spend money on excursions every day to leave the resort, a car rental would be a necessity.
2. Other than the 5 restaurants at the resort, there are 0 places that are safely within walking distance. If you like what the resort offers then you should be ok, but you've been warned.
3. Beautiful Ocean, Horrible beach.
4. Subpar room/cleaning service. They seemed to miss one thing a day (towel, shower gels, room service tray, etc.)

This is NOT a 5-star resort but a more than acceptable 4-star resort for any desiring to get away from the hustle and bustle of San Juan, stay next to the rain forest and relax (which should be a goal of Caribbean getaways). My family is a member of Club Melia, so I stayed in different suite than those on their site.

Certainly not a horrible place to stay, but I'd like to be in San Juan or further west on the island next time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlennPolite

Dear GlennPolite,

We appreciate the detailed review of your stay with us. We take all guest reviews very seriously and I will certainly share your feedback with our executive committee.

Your valuable insight is truly appreciated and we are happy to know that although there were a few aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations, your family enjoyed the stay.

We hope that the next time you are visiting Puerto Rico you will allow us the privilege of welcoming you back for a true Meliá experience.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I booked the hotel at priceline using Express deal at a very reasonable price. Since there is no car available on the island on the hot season, we take taxi to the airport. The hotel is really far away and there are no attraction around the hotel, so if you don't have car you might be stuck in the hotel. So when we first arrived at the hotel we are eager to try to get a car.

But soon we found that the hotel itself is a really good attraction, it has many things to do in the hotel, so we spend all days in hotel's beach and just ask round trip transportation to our activities in Puerto Rico. And it works really good, Since we only stay here 4 nights, we only wish we have more time to just lie beside the sea.

The food here in the hotel is really really good, though it's a little bit expensive, but it worth it. I and my girlfriend spend our new year's eve in the hotel's resturant-Tempo. the food there is super excellent. it is a really wonderful memory for us that we would never forget.

And for me, I think the service here is great, everyone is happy to help us, and we get everything We request. However the internet speed is really slow, although it's everywhere but really useless.

And, If you don't have car and want to travel to many places don't stay here

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Micro-Young

Dear Micro-Young,

I’m very happy to learn that you and your girlfriend enjoy your time with us. Your experience shows that we were able to connect with you in every way.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed our restaurant Tempo in a special evening as a new year. Our number one goal is to create a memorable experience’s for every guest.

Thank you for choosing Gran Meliá Puerto Rico, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

No doubt, this is a beautiful resort. Pool open 24 hours a day! Tennis courts, volleyball on the beach, basketball court (they have limited equipment, fyi). VERY friendly and helpful staff. The completely open lobby and bar is a tribute to the constant nice weather there. Room was great size-wise. Plenty of room for a family of four that includes 2 teenagers. Did not like the musty smell but it's a humid environment. Bring slippers cuz the tile floor is cold. We had a garden view room and it was lovely. Ate breakfast on the patio each morning.

If you plan to explore around Puerto Rico, you must get a rental car - and make your reservation for a car before arriving. There is nothing in walking distance. Taxi ride to Old San Juan is $80 one way. We were not able to get a car (they sold out!) so we were at the mercy of taxi or car services. We also felt a bit trapped when it came time for meals. The restaurants on the property are very good but also very expensive. Our bill for dinner was about $200 for one night. We didn't want to spend much for breakfast so we discovered that the hotel store (the Market) sold coffee and muffins.

If you like resort life, then this place is wonderful! If you want to go sight seeing a lot, I would choose something closer to San Juan.

Room Tip: Garden view is equally as beautiful
1  Thank CWM410

Dear CWM410,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words about Gran Meliá Golf Resort Puerto Rico. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to enjoy many of the amenities we offer at the resort.

We are also glad to learn that the staff's hospitality did not go unnoticed, as we strive to exceed the expectations of our guests with our level of service. Thank you for choosing Meliá Hotels International, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This place (I am here right now Dec 28th-Jan4 2014) is not that great. I had read reviews and they all raved about it. So we decided to come here. I wish I could go somewhere else, but since I bought it as a package, we are stuck. Every night, they can't seem to find our reservations, and last night (New Years Eve) Our reservations were lost again, along with MANY other people. We had reservations for 10 pm, you have to make it with the lady in the lobby, you can't go in the restaurant, or call to do it. At 11, we still had not been seated with another 20-40 minute wait. Be very leery of what you are being told about it. The place is pretty, the rooms are nice, and cleaned daily, but ice is hard to find, and if you want something decent to eat, you will have to drive into town. $22 for breakfast per person, Dinner is usually around $50 PP. Room service takes 1 hour or more, and it arrives cold and not what you ordered.

Rooms are situated oddly. When you sit on your balcony, the neighbors can see you, and look into your room, no matter where you are. It's crazy laying in bed, and the kids next door are waving at you! Get me out of here!!

Long walk from the rooms to the main facilities. They have nice men that drive golf carts and pick you up, but they never seem to be handy when you have a bunch of stuff to carry.

The golf course is nice, we played 9 holes and it was $220 and not much better a course than those found in Dallas. We play often and are pretty good average players, and it was an easy course. Straight shots the whole 9. We are going to try and play again tomorrow, but we don't have high hopes. That is going to be $440. Seems like someone should wash my car at least for that money......I wonder if Donald Trump has ever been here, if he has, his standards are far lower than I thought they would be.

I will never stay here again, and I bet the many people that we spoke to last night, won't stay either. Oh, and skip the Red Level, it is a joke and only gets you a private bar and pool. The main pool is more fun.

Room Tip: No clue, seems like they are all the same, just some are further from the main area than others. We...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank gengolden

Dear gengolden,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your past stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that despite our efforts to turn around your experience we were not able to meet your standards. My deepest apologies for all the inconveniences encountered.

I hope that you reconsider your decision and give us and Puerto Rico the opportunity to show you the true first class service that Gran Meliá Golf Resort is known for. Please feel free to write me at GMPRGuestExperience@granmeliapr.com if you decide to visit us again to make sure that you have a flawless stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio Grande
The Fajardo Inn
#3 of 4 in Fajardo
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Melia Coco Beach? Share your experiences!