We traveled during Christmas week and were very happy with the location. The resort is near the rain forest (spent 2 days there) and near a lot of local restaurants. The resort property is great. It is well maintained and clean (not spotless, but clean). Also the buildings are only two stories tall, we didn't want to stay in a high rise on the beach. If you go you must stay at the Red Level, the included breakfast buffet alone makes it worth the cost because food at this resort is out of control expensive and mediocre at best. Breakfast on the other hand was perfectly fine. We had two dinners at the resort and then ventured out and had great local meals at a fraction of the cost. Make sure you have a rental car, it ends up being cheaper than the resorts transports and offer a lot more flexibility.
Be forewarned, check in is a disaster. The staff is clueless and unresponsive. Our check-in took over an hour. We booked two rooms, they were not near each other. We traveled with our son and daughter and reserved two double beds, they were booked into a king suite. After insisting on a change for over an hour when I was told nothing could be done....something was done.
Do not rely on express checkout. Go over your bill very carefully. I removed quite a few charges we did not make (meals and drinks on the day we spent in Old San Juan) and failure to list a credit I demanded because of the horrible check-in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an idyllic location on Puerto Rico's northeastern coast in Coco Beach, Rio Grande, Gran Melia Puerto Rico brings the privacy and exclusivity you deserve and allows you the opportunity to escape from the rest of the world. From the moment you step inside this tropical oasis, you will be enveloped by the beauty and grandeur of Gran Melia Puerto Rico. Boasting a world-class YHI spa, the nearby Trump International Golf Club and the best pool on the island with four integrated whirlpools, Gran Melia Puerto Rico is the place to live the true resort experience in Puerto Rico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Melia, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Hotel Rio Grande
- Gran Melia Rio Grande
- Sol Melia Rio Grande
- Paradisus Puerto Rico
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Rio Grande