Melia Coco Beach
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
6,547 results
All reviewsred levelbali bedscafe soleilpuerto ricobeautiful resortprivate poolwet barmain poolpuerto rican restaurantrented a cargarden viewbutler serviceswim up barold san juanel yunque rainforestocean frontlounge chairs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Being from the gulf coast of Florida, we're a bit spoiled to great sunsets, beautifully warm weather and the gulf waters & beaches. But, the weather in PR was really tremendous...so much so, it almost made up for a few glaring weaknesses at the Gran Melia golf resort. I'll start with the positives, attentive and above par service. A few shining examples of great service were found daily. The pool is beautiful and kept sparkling clean. The location is gorgeous with picturesque palms, hammocks and such lining the shoreline. really awesome photos can be had there. OK, the pool bar is a joke in that not only are they frequently out of booze, mint (for mojitos, a PR staple) but the lack of sense by food & beverage mgmt. to play BLASTING reggaeton or techno/dance music throughout the day. As we wanted a super fun atmosphere like most at a tropical pool bar...to hear distorted reggaeton (NOT reggae like you'd think and we wanted) was a huge turnoff for all us in our group and the most that we met along the way. Typically, like a cruise ship will have, there were a select few (amateur single drinkers) that dominated that whole bar area anyways, so we all avoided and soaked the sun and got the heck away from what was supposed to be a main party focal point for all of us. Dropped the ball on that one, Gran Melia. The place just needs one or two more lounges/bars for people to enjoy as the couple they have quickly lose their lustre after a few days. Boy, a cool English pub would have gone a long way considering the place is home to a Trump championship golf tourney. Golfers were all over the place so it'd be a welcome place, no doubt. Oh, the rooms do have a musty/moldy smell. We saw some noticeable black mold on the crown molding, but it IS the tropics, I guess. The hot water quickly ran cold and not having at least a mini fridge in your room is a major pain.
Anyway, besides the many nice employees we met...we sadly will not return as the high prices (the 2 of us spent about $300 per day just on food & drink) and lack of entertainment options is just not for us.

Room Tip: We noticed the Red Level options were just not worth it. Buy booze and mixers and keep in your room...save tons of money, everyone was doing it, we found. Buy a small cooler and fill with ice in your room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank maxx3442
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear maxx3442,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I will be sharing with our management staff your comments and suggestions to pinpoint the areas of opportunity and make changes accordingly.
thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to having you again,

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Rooms were excellent the view was exhilarating.
Golfing with the family even better. Course maintenance impeccable. Room Service was better than most. An outstanding visit we wanted for nothing.
A bit pricey but will
definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2013
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear bbeale,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel. It pleases me and my staff very much that you had a great vacation with your family. I will be passing your positive comments to the golf course management as well as our room service staff.

Again, thank you for taking some time to write us.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Property is nice, however food is mediocre and overpriced and seldom do you receive what the menu or waiter described at the time of placing your order! The service by wait staff is horrible! 30 minutes at the pool bar to order a drink and then no two drinks taste the same! Housekeeping couldn't keep it rights either. Yikes! I will take my money somewhere else next time and will not try another Gran Melia property ever!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linda R
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Linda R,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. Also, I would like to apologize for the service received at our pool bars and the housekeeping issues. I will be sharing your comments with the management staff in order make changes in the areas that require such. Again, thank you for writing about your recent stay

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Pros:
This place is pretty nice from the outside. The entrance lobby is nice and there's a good variety of food to eat. The grounds are nice and it's fairly secluded. The people who work here are all very friendly.

Free wifi with good signal.

Cons:
This place is far from the airport (around 30-45 minutes) so be prepared for an expensive cab ride
The service is pretty awful. The people who work there are really nice, BUT everything is done at a snail's pace. Check in took forever, and every restaurant had very slow service. This is up there among the slowest I've ever seen. I was alone on a business tripe and would walk into an empty restaurant and ask to be seated and was usually told it would be about ten minutes. This made zero sense.

The food was also pretty bad. I ate all three of the four main restaurants and didn't really enjoy any of my dishes. The sushi and Hibachi was very salty. There aren't many bars to have dinner either so if you're alone you have to eat at a table which feels a bit awkward.

The room is fine, but the shower has little pressure and doesn't get very hot.
Also the beach is surrounded by boulders. No joke, there's no really good spots to go in the water unless you want to climb over rocks.

The gym isn't bad, but it's small and can be crowded in the mornings. Not bad for a hotel.

The breakfast is really bad I'd stay away.

Also there is are no black out shades in the room! This makes it hard to sleep in because of the light!

Also because this is a golf resort it's very spread out. that means there are a lot of golf carts driving around to ferry people from their rooms to the main area. This can be annoying because i would constantly hear golf carts driving by my room.

Last but not least there is no room service and nothing besides the beach bar with it's limited menu open during the day. The food at the bar isn't good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rmani81
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Rmani81,

I would like to thank for such an extensive review of our property. In our constant effort to better improve the quality of services comments like yours are very important to us.
I've taken notes of your comments and observations and will be discussing them with our management team in order to take appropriate measure in the areas that require such.
Again, thank you very much for you review and we look forward to seeing you again with us.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I just spent 3 days at the Gran Melia resort. Overall, it was a nice trip. The grounds are well maintained, the pools are nice and the cabanas are comfortable. The 3 restaurants have good food, although may not offer the best options if you have children with you. The service at the restaurants was friendly, although very slow. The biggest complaint I have is the poor service at the main bars and lack of decent entertainment I would often wait 10-20 minutes for a drink when there was no one else around. Bartenders were unfriendly and often acted like they were doing you a favor by serving you a drink. I heard many people complaining about the service and several couples we met checked out a day after they checked in because they were treated rudely. My advice would be to upgrade to the Red Level Service. Red Level guests have access to private pool, the bartenders are a bit friendlier (Ruben Llamos at the Red Level pool is great!) and they offer a private happy hour from 5-8pm with complimentary drinks. If you are looking for a quiet place to relax, away from the city or a lot of activities then this place is perfect for you. If you are looking for exceptional service and friendliness then you would be better off going to a different resort.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank joaniepants2014
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear joaniepants2014,

First I would like to thank you for taking some of your time to review our property. I would also like to offer you my sincere apologies since it seems we did not meet your overall expectations. In our constant process to better our overall quality of service comments like yours are taken very seriously and will be shared with the rest of our management team to make changes in whichever areas require such action.

again, thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to having you again with us.