“Great , Only to relax”

Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
“Great , Only to relax”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I am currently staying at the gran melia golf resort "Garden View Red Level Junior Suite" The Room is Very Spacious Very Nice . I Recommend You Get Red Level Not Only Do you Get Free Breakfast But Also Free Drinks from 5-8 Warning They only Have One Kind of Beer. We get free appetizers from 5-6 they weren't that great we only had a choice of empanadas and Balls Of Mash Potato . The main pool is nice as well big and the beach wasn't even worth a look it's just rocks and you can't swim in it . Since I saw how disappointed people was with the restaurants me and my husband didn't bother to even go we just did room service which was good but expensive . We ordered chicken tenders and chicken wings with a bottle of water and 2 Tres leche cake which in total was about $55 . The only problem I really has was the couch in the room had stains on it . Other wise the place is beautiful service was great I was treated nicely and when we went to eat in the morning the lady was very kind and was on her game . I do recommend staying here if you just want to relax and or swim . Everything else is far . And please do yourself a favor and don't give you self a headache don't expect royalty because you would be disappointed be willing to walk and wait . Have fun .

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kitxia B
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Kitxia B,

We are sincerely sorry your experience fell short of your expectations. In Gran Meliá Golf Resort we strive to make every one’s stay wonderful and unique, and we have failed to do just that. The hotel is in the process of cleaning and replacing the sofa beds in the rooms.

We hope you will give us another chance to show you how wonderful our little “Paradise” can be!

GMPRGuestExperience@granmeliapr.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,442)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Memphis
Reviewed 24 June 2014

If you value customer service and reasonable prices do not stay at the Gran Melia Resort. I stayed at this resort from 6/18 - 6/22 and after my experience I vow to never return. Not only is the resort critically understaffed the employees do not understand the meaning of customer service.

1. When I arrived there I had to stand in a line of 15-20 people in order to check into the resort because there were only two people working at the front desk. After checking in I went to the Avenue Bar. I placed an order for hot wings and waited over an hour to receive my meal. After 30 minutes of waiting I asked the bartender to check on my order she informed me that the bar and room service use the same kitchen so it was going to be a while. Every 10 minutes I would ask one of the bartenders to check on my order and each one did the exact same thing. They said, "Give me one moment", and began assisting other patrons at the bar. After an hour of waiting I went to the main lobby and asked for a supervisor. The front desk manager came out and I explained my concern to her. She said let me check on that. Instead of going to the restaurant she went back to her office. I waited for over 10 minutes and there was no sign of her then I went back to the bar and my hot wings were on the counter. I did not see the front desk manager again. She did not come to check on me or anything. The hot wings tasted bland. My meal consisted of 5 drummets for $13.

2. Complimentary Breakfast - I blame management for the inefficient processes that are conducted throughout the hotel. Depending on the time that you decide to go to breakfast there will be a very long line in order to enter the restaurant. I advise every guest to please remove omelet from your vocabulary. Everyday I went to breakfast I stood in a long line for up to 20 minutes to obtain an omelet. There is only one person preparing and cooking the omelets. In addition, there is not a one omelet limit therefore people in line can order as many omelets as they want which increases the time frame that an average one omelet person such as myself would have to stand in line. Also, the omelet cook makes waffles and sporadically hands them to people who are standing in line while she is making the omelets. In other words a person who wants a waffle and has not stood in line as long as you can and in most cases will receive their breakfast before you.

3. I called the front desk because I mistakenly spilled a drink on the bed sheets. I asked for new sheets. The bell hop brought the sheets to the door and handed them to me. I asked, "Am I supposed to make the bed up?" He looked at me very startled and smiled. I called the front desk and asked the same question. The front desk rep said that he would send someone to the room to make the bed up. No one ever came to the room and I eventually fell asleep.

4. As a result of the size of the resort they provide a cart service to transport guests from one location to another. Ideally you are supposed to be able to call the front desk and provide your room number and they are supposed to send someone to come and pick you up on the cart and transport you to your destination immediately. 1) I had issues with getting the front desk to answer the phone, 2) when they did answer the phone they would say someone will be right over. 3)Someone will be right over translated to me standing in the hot scorching sun for 10 - 15 waiting on someone in a cart.

Management please do not respond to my post with an excuse of why the service I received was so poor and why your restaurant prices are so astronomically high.

I hope that my post saves someone from making the grave mistake of staying at the Gran Melia Resort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Ayanna F
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Ayanna F,

First of all, we are truly grateful for the level of detail that you've provided for us. Your feedback is always welcome. We regret to learn that your experience did not reflect the high standards we wish to achieve.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this caused while with us. We are taking all of your concerns very seriously and we assure you that these issues will be addressed and properly taken care of to ensure a better experience for our future guests.

Anaheim, California
Reviewed 23 June 2014

If you value your money at all...do not stay here. This place was awful! don't be fooled by the beautiful photos of this place, because--yes, it is very beautiful on the outside, but on the inside it is a mess. Our first night we arrived at 640PM..4 groups in front of us waiting to check-in isn't too bad, right? WRONG...it took over an hour to get to the front of the line. When we were finally checked-in we opted for a king sized bed and a would use the pull out bed for our third guest. Terrible idea..the bed was so old you could feel the metal bars underneath, and there were stains all over it. When we went to get the sheets out they were...you guessed it! Dirty. Fresh pizza looking stains on the blanket, and when I touched it, it was still wet. When we asked for new sheets, there were hairs all over! I finally called to get a different room with two full beds instead. Someone comes to take us to our new room, opens the door and says "enjoy your ocean view!" I was so excited that I almost didn't notice the room was already being occupied!!..So the guy apologizes and we wait outside the room with all our luggage for 10 minutes waiting to be moved. Our new room is similar to the first...stinky fridge, no coffee pot (but a nice display of coffee packet surrounding nothing) a empty Dasani bottle on the ground, disgusting/dirty shower curtains, and honestly--don't get excited about the beach--its full of rocks. After our first night mishaps we were told someone would follow up and give us an upgraded room. never happened. When we shared our complaints with the assistant manager on the last day of our stay she said she had never heard of any of our complaints and that there was nothing she could do (I'm not sure how this turned into my family's problem, and not the hotels). We asked to talked to the manager she said "he is interviewing so we can have better employees". We thought it was reasonable that our first night be free, since we did not get to our room till 11 after all the mishaps. She said she could not do that but offered us 50 dollars off, and 50 dollars off our next stay. That part was hilarious...why would we ever stay at that place again?!..

I read all the reviews for this hotel, and saw the ratings that it received and still decided to book it. Don't make the same mistake I made.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

4 Thank Heather S
Oak Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We came on our 10 yr anniversary, stayed at another hotel for the first 4 nights, needed 2 nights to complete our trip. Used priceline got Gran Melia, maybe they could see that we paid ~100$ per night and our service suffered. Who knows? Door card reader broke, took 5 hours to fix it. Parking is terrible the main lot is always full so you park about a 1/2 mile away. There are golf carts to help transport you, no one bothered to ask if we needed a ride with all our luggage, they just zoomed by. Charged 15$ per day for facility fee, and 16$ per day to park. Check your options got much better service down the road.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Chelsea B
Dear Chelsea B,

Thank you for your observation regarding the beauty of our resort and for taking the time and effort to share your experience with us.

We are very sorry; our apologies for all the inconveniences. Our management at all levels has taken note of your review for a thorough assessment of your indications. This experience certainly is not reflective of the high quality of services that we offer all our clients daily.

Please contact us before you come to visit us again, we will make it a memorable visit.

Humacao, Puerto Rico, Caribbean
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel was clean, a very good pool with a bar in it. Very good looking. Good for a relaxing time but it didn't have much stuff to do. If I was the owner I put a hot tub for all guest and an entertaining area for all guest.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Josean22
Dear Josean22,

It was a pleasure having you here. Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay.

We take in consideration every guest suggestion and we are glad that you took the time to give us yours. Our management at all levels is eager to please our visitants and make their stay a memorable one.

Come back in the future to have another great experience!

New york city
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We came to gran melia in June 2014. We have traveled a lot around the world and stayed at many hotels and resorts. But this experience was a class apart. The location is gorgeous and tucked away amongst a huge golf club, lush green trees and beautiful landscaping. It is the right option better than starting at San Huan where the hotels are very commercial and feels like visiting Florida. For the right vacation relaxig mood, gran melia is the right choice. The entrance is gorgeous, the interiors are designed with great taste, the are many water bodies in the resort which adds to the coolness. Te swimming pool, the cute little beach, hammocks and cute little bars are a delight. Also they have a lot of sit out areas where one can enjoy the World Cup football season, or watch a movie or be part of multiple activities at the resort. The staff is absolutely respectful and very hospitable. We briefly meet Edward o'neill who dropped us to our bungalow and he was so cheerful and positive. Special shout out to him. We called the front desk for many questions and asked for the coffee numerous times - it's awsome - towels and let me not forget the room services which was a total surprise. We ordered the pasta, rice , beans and fried spicy potatoes. Man oh man, it was top class. We did not expect such good food from room service. Also decently priced. All in all a five star treatment and a resort where the guests are treated right! We will look out for gran melia in any future vacations we take. :-)

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Chelgriy
Dear Chelgriy,

Thank you for choosing Gran Meliá Puerto Rico for your recent stay in Puerto Rico. We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.

We are very glad to hear all your compliments towards our service and staff, especially Mr. Edward O’Neill. I will share your great experience with them and they will get recognize.
Once again thank you very much and hope to see you soon.

Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 20 June 2014

If you are looking for awesome ocean views and have a rental car this is the place for you.
We arrived at the hotel and parked in the lot, we rented a car from the airport. Not one person greeted us, and we stood in line for 20 minutes to be told that since we were red level guests we had to check in at the "red level lounge". We made our way to the lounge, and check in was fairly easy. However they did put a $1000 hold on out credit card for any incidentals. I found that to be a bit much and when I questioned the girl, she got very defensive and rude. I let it go. She did make reservations for us at "tempo" the steak & pasta restaurant on the resort. We were told we had to validate our parking out front. Come to find out parking is $16 a day. I'm paying you almost $400 a night and you are charging me parking? Fine.
A gentleman from one of the golf carts walked up and offered to take us to our room and car to get our bags, he turned out to be the nicest employee at the whole resort.
Got to the room and one of our room keys didn't work. No big deal.
Room is awesome, right on the beach, nice patio and tub. The only real plus side to the whole place.
Tempo was ok, but $150 for two pastas and an appetizer was outrageous.
The overall theme here to get you to spend as much as you can. The next day we had lunch at "splash" nachos, burger, and a salad (no alcohol) $65. They actually had a pb&j sandwich on the menu for $8. Crazy.
At this point I figured, why not make use of the free stuff they give you for being "red level"- went to the lounge for appetizers and Drinks just to find out they weren't there, girl at the desk said to go down to some "coco lounge" we said forget it and went back to the room. Ordered room service for dinner another $100 for two people again no alcohol.
Breakfast is pretty decent, so I thought until I drank out of a glass with lipstick on it. (I don't wear lipstick) my husband said something to the waiter who did nothing but bring us a new empty glass?
Worst part was one night we called room service for a bucket of ice because the machine was broken. An hour later no ice, since the sun was setting and we wanted to get a late afternoon swim in. I called again, after three transfers I finally told the girl to forget it and her response "ok"
Come back to the room, order room service for dinner (which surprisingly is the cheapest way to go on food here) and ask for a bucket of ice again. Room service brings our food and no ice.
Now third call and finally our "butler" who we have never met after being here for three days shows up with ice. When my husband asked him what the deal was no help or suggestions just "I can call the manager if you want"
Next, no wifi in the rooms. We were told at check in we had wifi and we don't. Again called downstairs to be told only in public areas of the hotel. At this point we were so frustrated we did ask to speak with a manager. After being transferred and hung up on twice we gave up.
The views are unbelievable, the general lack of service is unacceptable. I have stayed at hotels in the middle of nowhere USA that have treated me much better than this place.
We check out tomorrow and I am dreading to see what kind of nonsense is in store for us.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Lindsay V
Dear Lindsay V,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! We look for feedback from our guests.

It is never our intention to make our guests feel like they did not get a good value when they stay with us. We will use your comments in regards to the restaurant to makes changes to better suite you or anyone else’s expectations we do not exceed.

On a bright side, it is wonderful to hear you were able to enjoy the property.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio Grande
The Condado Plaza Hilton
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 48 in San Juan
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!