“Highside - A great find!”
Review of Highside Farm

and 1 more site!
Highside Farm
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Highside - A great find!”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I wanted to get away for a few days and Highside was just the perfect choice. Easy to find and amazing Lake District location. The view from Highside B&B was amazing and it was so relaxing. I was made to feel very welcome and as I was travelling alone it made is so much more pleasurable. Everyone at Highside made me feel extremely welcome and the staff were accommodating and very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend this B&B to anyone who is visiting the Lake District. I will definitely be back soon with friends.

Room Tip: I stayed in Skiddaw Room which overlooks Skiddaw. Lovely room although next time I would like to try...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My son and I have recently returned from a wonderful stay at Highside Farm. The place was heavenly and we were made to feel so special and welcome. Over the years we have spent many happy times in The Lakes and have stayed at some great places, but I have to say that Hightside Farm exceeded all our expectations and I would highly recommend it as the best place to stay. The room was fantastic, cosy but spacious and super clean. And the breakfast was hearty and tasty. We loved it so much that we are going to book again to stay over the summer. The location is idyllic and great for families or a romantic weekend.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Myself and my husband stayed here over the Easter weekend. I would highly recommend this B&B. The room that we stayed in was Ullock Pike which is a large family room although there were only two of us, it was very spacious and immaculately clean. The bathroom was quite small but perfectly adequate with a shower rather than bath, there was always plenty of hot water and again spotlessly clean and very nice toiletries. Breakfast was excellent with a choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt and cooked breakfast.

The B&B is around a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest pub in Bassenthwaite, if you want to eat here I suggest reserving a table we walked there to find it full, but it was a bank holiday weekend. We didn't mind driving and ate in a pub ~10 mins drive away (forget the name) and a couple of restaurants in Keswick - of which there are many.

We chose this hotel for its location and were not dissapointed. We wanted to climb Skiddaw and were able to start from a road at the side of the farm, to do the ridge walk along Ullock Pike, Long Side and Carl side to climb Skiddaw. Absolutely fantastic, we ended by carrying on into Keswick for dinner and a drink and caught the bus back which stops rigt outside the hotel. I believe that a number of buses stop here but am sure that Gill will be able to let you know what numbers.

Room Tip: Ullock Pike room was large with a great view to the front.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wooseyj
Ware, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We've just had a four night stay at Highside Farm with dear friends. We were given such a warm welcome by Martin, his wonderful family and his team of helpers and were made to feel very much at home. Our room was very clean and pleasantly decorated and I wish I could have brought the bed home with me - it was so very comfortable. Breakfast was leisurely and delicious and the fact that the six of us wanted to sit at the same table was greeted with a cheery "Of course you can" (in complete contrast to the surly "No" we had received two years ago in a different B&B). We were invited to go and see the new born lambs in the "play pen" and it was very special to be able to see what happens at this very busy time of the year on the Farm. The fact that everyone was so friendly, helpful and cheerful with all of that going on was inspiring. We wish them further success and hope to spend more time at Highside in the very near future.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HollsofWare
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Highside Farm is a comfortable bed and breakfast in a wonderful position in Cumbria with mountain and lake views. Highside Farm is five miles from the bustling town of Keswick and central for all that the Lake District has to offer. The room was well decorated with excellent facilities. The bed was comfortable. I received a warm welcome and had all the facilities explained to me. Breakfast was exceptional - tasty, well cooked and presented. A very special experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank sheila5228SS
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Just returned home after our fourth stay at Highside Farm in the luxury which is at the rear of the property with it's own entrance. Spotlessly clean with kettle coffee,tea,hot chocolate and nor for getting the biscuits.Fab toiletries and shower that has good power. Breakfast very good and sets you up for the day. Well done Highside.

Room Tip: Luxury room own entrance and spacious room with comfortable settee.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Market Rasen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

A comfortable traditional bed and breakfast with delicious breakfast. Wonderfull views. The web site photo is rather deceptive as it gives no indication of the busy road which runs right in front of the house and on our first night there I found the traffic disturbing, but by the second night it didn't bother me. The room was clean and spacious with the appearance of being well cared for. The hosts were friendly and pleasant. We would stay again and would recommend to friends.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
#4 of 5 in Bassenthwaite
The Derwentwater Hotel
The Derwentwater Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portinscale

Been to Highside Farm? Share your experiences!