“lovely time”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
ayrshire
“lovely time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

My wife and I stayed recently on a special offer . Our second stay at Armithwaite .It was a wee surprise for my wifes birthday without the kids. We had a grand time. I thought it was also good value with the special offer, we up graded to dine in the lake view room. The pool /Spa has been ,much improved since our last visit, the dinner was excelent though perhaps not exactly what was ordered on the menu, the service was attentive without being intrusive, the wine was quality.My only comment on a very mildly negative side was at breakfast. Initially offered the conservatory, then said it was not available, then directed to seats , then told to change seats though other places were avalable . The waiting staff were great but the chap who appeared to be responsible didnt appear to be that bothered and sullen..I dont think it would put us off visiting again...for DBB but maybe ifwe hadnt had such a good experience the night before

Room Tip: room 124 was great however we have stayed before and had a lakeside room .the view was beautifull so...
1 Thank FrSB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Montreux, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

This gracious, lovingly-maintained manor home on a secluded, tranquil, lakeside estate provided a perfect venue for a great break. The new spa is really fabulous, the room beds super-comfy, the food delicious, the staff attentive and the hall and grounds, lovely. Can't find fault with anything, and will certainly return!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

We attended a family wedding at Armathwaite Hall, from the moment you drive up to the front door to leaving late at night the whole experience was something very special.
The approach to the hotel is breathtaking with such character to the building.
Once inside the decor is opulent with lots of comfy sofa's to relax on.
You can either have afternoon tea or lunch or dinner whilst looking out over the gardens and the lake.
For a more contemporary feel The Courtyard and Brasserie are the place to be, this leads to the amazing Spa area, even if you are not staying have a peep, I can certainly understand why they have won so many awards.
As mentioned this was a family wedding and the whole experience was overseen by the hotel staff who ensured everything ran smoothly and the wedding party were looked after the whole day. As with most weddings where numerous guests have to be served food at one time it was fantastic to get food which was hot and great quality, another tick in the box for the hotel team.

If you do get the opportunity or the weather to have a wander around the grounds they are spectacular.

I would definatley return to the Armathwaite for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room, you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We decided to stay here for a weekend break (no kids), and came away feeling happy and relaxed.
A glass of sherry on arrival was a nice touch and the staff were charming and helpful especially the resturant lads who were sweet and charming.
The rooms are oldy worldy and what you would expect from such a beautiful building. With the most comfortable bed.
The spa facilities were fantastic, with the outside jacuzzi is a must on a cold night, over looking the landscaped gardens, very romantic.........
The treatments are a must to help unwind and well worth the price, we tried the Indian head massage and the back and neck massage, by a chap who's hands were magic.
On the Sunday morning there was a Harris hawk display, with the keeper giving an informative commentary throughout, very impressive.
Well worth a stay, beautiful hotel, beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
wigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

If you fancy a bit of indulgence, excellent customer service, beautiful character buildings, opulent rooms, spectacular views, wonderful fresh food and probably one of the best spa experiences you will have in England....then this is your destination!
My husband took me here for our 10th Anniversary and he earned lots of Brownie points for doing so
The staff are to be credited for their wonderful welcoming attitude. Nothing is too much and the hotel seems to have worked hard to have thought of the extra touches which your stay extra special...Well Done!

Room Tip: Ask for a Spa room and you will have a patio where you can sit enjoying the lovely grounds of the ho...
Wigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

It was our 10th anniversary this year and to celebrate I was going to take my wife on a surprise visit to a foreign destination which tied in with the anniversary. Unfortunately with just 3 weeks to go my wife decided to break her ankle which put paid to all my hard thought work/plans and I had to cancel the organised trip abroad (sorry cant reveal where as I may still re-organise it in a few months time and need to keep it a suprise!). So, I was left with the unenviable task of trying to organise a last minute alternative. With her foot being broken I decided to find somewhere which meant she could completely relax and at the same time somewhere that oozed that certain luxury that would tie in with the occassion - and also which wasnt too far away (we live in the North West) With a week to spare I therefore looked at Spa Hotels and was about to book Ribby Hall when I came across Armathwaite. Having checked the reviews for both, I plumped for Armathwaite as - even though it was going to be dearer and both places had great reviews - it just seemed to have had that little bit of character and thought it would be more likely to give my wife that wow factor. I certainly made the right decision!

The grounds to the Hall mean you drive through an arched entrance and with me having kept the location of our stay a suprise all the way (she didnt know where we were going literally until we got there) when we turned the corner at the end to greet the front of the stately looking hall her face lit up - and she went wow! Parking was simple - right in front of the hotel. Once inside, the Hall continues to exude splendour and check in was easy and simple, but also warm and welcoming being offerred a glass of sherry to celebrate our arrival - a very nice touch. A porter carried our bags to our room which was just a short walk down the corridor. As Id booked a package which included a 1 hour massge for us each Id also decided to upgrade when booking to one of their Spa rooms for just an extra £20 - well worth it. This meant we were a lot closer to the Spa facilties and were on the ground floor, meaning my wife wouldnt have to struggle with stairs. Again, I was so glad I had as the room was perfect - quite simply one of the nicest rooms weve stayed in for a Hotel like this. Perfectly decorated in a plum/purple style, the room had en ensuite with a bathroom that even had a tv in it! It also had an oustside floor balcony area - a little courtyard style with chairs and a table - that we used in the evening and in the morning and which just gave you that little bit of extra space. The bed was also extremely confortable - in fact so comfortable we meant to have a look at the mattress to see what make it was - but forgot. At this point I told my wife that I had only booked the 1 night and she was so impressed with the place that she begged me to go and book another as she already wanted to stay longer. Unfortunately they were fully booked the following night, so we had to make do with the 1.

Then came the massage and the Spa - wow! I can safely say the massage was by far the BEST massage I have ever had - and trust me Ive had a few over the years. The Spa also boasts a pool area with an infinity style pool Jacuzzi outside overlooking the grounds which again is to die for. Whats also nice is that a waitress come out to check/ask if you want any champagne - another very nice touch. The pool area also has a steam room, sauna room, aromotherapy room, water massage fountain, and plenty of comfortable beds on which to unwind/lounge around on. Total bliss and a thoughly wonderful way to spend a Thursday afternoon!

We plumped to eat in the main restaraunt in the evening and have a 5 course meal. We had to pay an additional £20 each to upgrade to the restaraunt, but in the end the Brasserie would probably have done us. Dont get me wrong the food was excellent - very tasty - its just that neither of us have a very big appetite and arent used to eating 5 courses any more! By the time the desert came neither of us could eat any more - though the waiter did his best to force one on us. The reason why then became all apparent as he brought out a small meringue on a plate which had already been decorated with 'Happy Anniversary' all around the edge in chocolate which they had obviously already prepared - how wonderfully thoughtful!

On the Friday check out was at 11:30. We enjoyed a hearty breakfast - your traditional bacon and egg, but it was cooked to perfection - not greasy in any way. There was also a buffet, continental style, in case the english breakfast isnt your cup of tea. Check out was nice and simple yet we could still use the Spa facilties up to 3pm so decided to do just that. A gentle stroll through the grounds later down to the Lake took about 20 minutes or so and we then enjoyed coffee on the large patio at the back which overlooked the lawns down to the lake.

All in all, if you are looking for a romantic getaway, somewhere to treat your loved one, and enjoy lazing in a Spa with that just little bit more of luxury then I would thoroughly recommend this place. Yes, it costs a little bit more than other places with similar amenities - but they are no where near the quality of Armathwaite. We paid £330 for a 1 night stay with a 1 hour massage each, full use of the pool facilities, and a 2 course dinner in the brasserie. All of the staff were extremely pleasant and attentitive, and we certainly couldnt have wished for a nice place to celebrate our 10th! Thank you Armathwaite!

Room Tip: Spa Rooms come with a courtyard and tv in bathroom and are very romantic
1 Thank Nig_WAFC
Boston Spa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

We booked a 2 night break at this place with LastMinute.com two days before leaving, paying £540 for dinner, bed and breakfast ( not a discounted price) for my wife and myself. We arrived there at 5.30 pm on July 27 and checked in. The receptionist went to get the room keys but came back and said that she could not find them, assuming that the last occupants had not left them behind. She gave a waiter a pass key to let us into our room and told us that a key would soon be available. In our room (153) I asked the waiter to find out when we would have a key. He rang the manager and was told that a new key would have to be cut but would be ready at 7.00 pm. We sat down as prisoners in the room and waited until 7.10 and called the reception who said they would contact the manager. He arrived 10 minutes later with a key and a very half hearted apology. We requested another room but he said they were full.
The corridor leading to our room had an overwhelming odour of damp and this pervaded all our clothes. There was a fan in the room covered in dust and dead insects. There was a thick layer of dust on the trouser press. The pillows were the hardest we have ever encountered. There was no sound proofing in the walls adjoining the adjacent bedrooms and we were kept awake by their televisions and woken up by them in the morning as well. The bathroom was extremely snug and the shower was a challenge to fit in ( and I am small). There was one bar of soap to share with shower and sink.
The meals were accurately cooked but the chef has clearly never heard of salt and pepper as not one dish was seasoned. The breakfasts were poor by good hotel standards and most dishes involved extra charges. The service was generally friendly and competent with one exception.
On checking out I was presented with a bill for over £640. I asked to see the manager, who eventually came and took me to the snooker room. I showed him the bill and he told me that I had just paid a deposit and not the full amount. I asked why, therefore, was the deposit not shown on the bill. He had no answer! I told him I had paid £540 which he said I had not, but did agree to look into it. He went off and returned some time later to inform me that he had confused 2 booking companies and that I had indeed paid £540. He then boasted that this hotel was one of only 4 four star gold holders in the Lake District and that the Prime Minister and Royalty stayed there. This time I did not comment!
I then raised the issue of the room key and suggested he should have known about that well before we arrived. He said he did know from that morning but then claimed that there were 2 spare keys in the safe but he could not open the safe until 7.00 pm. So a key was not cut! I asked why we were not told of this when we arrived and at least offered a complimentary drink in the bar. Again he did not comment. I mentioned how poor the room was and his response was that he had stayed in that room himself and there was nothing wrong with it. As I got up to leave he grudgingly offered me a free nights stay if we ever came back.
I paid what I owed, having items we had requested for dinner, but not received removed from the bill.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs rooms 150 - 154.
13 Thank raymarks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Under Skiddaw

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!