“Very disappointing”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and first impressions are great. Unfortunately we discovered that’s the best bit.
Our ground floor spa room was situated on long corridor between the main building and the spa. These rooms are compact with very small bathrooms and a ridiculous round shower screen over the bath that makes taking a relaxing shower very difficult. The pillows were very hard and uncomfortable. Sound proofing was poor and we could hear the TV next door and were woken up by kids upstairs at 7am. On the ground floor you have your own patio area which is very nice but with adjoining doors open allows cigarette smoke from the room next door to waft into yours (especially when the occupants stand half in their doorway out of the rain). I suspect these rooms would be favoured by smokers for this very reason.

The location of the rooms causes a further problem with noise from the function rooms where weddings are held, so things were noisy till midnight on two of our 5 nights. There was no mention of wedding parties during our stay when booking. Bearing in mind that this was during a particularly rainy period; the noise would have probably been much worse if our windows and all the outside doors to the function rooms had been open. Incidentally you will be told that “You are residents so you can go where you please”; Well when we arrived we had tea & sandwiches ordered in the Lake room which then became the receiving room for wedding guests. True, we didn’t have to move, but felt distinctly uncomfortable with well dressed people towering over us sipping champagne, so we did. Take a look at the wedding brochure, the room is used for civil ceremonies too. At these prices I’m sorry it’s simply unacceptable to feel you are in the way and having to complain about noise; The hotel management should make their mind up about their target audience. Oh and the sandwiches were expensive and average; mine was mushy and dripped seafood sauce everywhere.
Again because of weddings you may find that breakfast becomes a free-for all busy buffet. Again (afterwards) you will be told that you can order from a waiter if you wish but (again) you feel that you are the one causing the problem.

Food in main dining room was OK but nothing special despite the prices. Why do some restaurants with upmarket aspirations have a problem sourcing good quality local vegetables? The 3 nights we dined there the veg was 1) virtually invisible and 2) mushy.
I’ve left the restaurant until last as I’ve been waiting for the manager to respond to a complaint I made on the morning we left (4th July). My wife and I were violently ill from a couple of hours after dinner for the majority of the night and had to ask reception to call a doctor who administered anti-nausea injections at 4am. We had both eaten the same meal in the restaurant but had different lunches whilst out for the day.
We waited for the manager to arrive in the morning (despite feeling dreadful and just wanting to leave for home) to ensure the message was passed on that we had been ill and the room would need careful cleaning for its next occupant (especially as when I asked at the front desk the night porter had not passed on anything about the incident to the desk staff); As has been mentioned by previous reviewers I was taken into the billiard room by the manager so he could take copious notes, however no-one from the hotel has bothered to get in touch in all this time to respond and I feel that just about says it all. Anyway they did ensure I settled the bill in full before we left so no loss of efficiency there.
I should probably have realised customer service wasn’t their forte when following the initial telephone booking by credit card I had to chase for a receipt weeks later as they hadn’t bothered to send one. Hotels aspiring to this level (and cost) don’t treat guests as an encumbrance; they go the extra mile to ensure you are properly looked after. We were very disappointed with Armathwaite Hall and won’t be back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mark W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We unfortuantly had to move our booking at last minute due to a family emergency, the staff at the hotel were very helpful and understanding; allowing us to move the booking at no cost. We later stayed at the hotel and had a truely memorable time. The food was outstanding and with service to match. The spa facilities were the icing on the cake, amazing!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We have just returned home from a one night stay and we wish we could have stayed longer! We arrived at the hotel and I wasn't dissapointed by the look and the setting, stunning. Check in was swift and a glass of sherry was offered very nice after a day at work and a 1 1/2 hour drive. I had booked the stay as a suprise for my husband we were taken to our room 150 which was lovely with a view over the front lawn and to the lake, this room is a lovely size which was great as we had taken our dog with us ( brilliant that a 4star hotel allows dogs) he was well provided for with a comfy bed, treats and the essential poo bags! The room was traditionally decorated and the bathroom was fantastic. We went down to the spa which is fantastic especially the outdoor jacuzzi. The 5 course dinner was brilliant in the Lakeview resturant all the staff were excellent. After a great nights sleep in a very comfy bed breakfast was lovely all cooked fresh and a great choice. Before we left we had a lovely walk through the grounds down to the lake which the dog loved.All in all we had a brilliant stay and hope it won't be long before we return. Just want to say that this is the 1st time I have bothered to write a review but thought I would make the effort.

Room Tip: room 150 was the only room we saw it was excellent would like it if we stayed again
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Newcastle
Reviewed 12 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on a great deal offered by the hotel on their website. It was called pick of the week. It was £179 for DBB, cream tea upon arrival and a £10 voucher off a spa treatment. We called reservations and spoke to Lorraine who was very efficient and friendly. We requested a modern room as we prefer modern interiors!

The drive up to the hotel was breathtaking as it was so beautiful! You can park right outside the hotel! On arrival we were offered water or sherry which was a lovely touch. The reception staff were so helpful and friendly!

We were shown to our room by Christian the porter. He was so friendly and filled us in with a brief history of the area. Our room was simply stunning. We were in room 156, a deluxe spa room. The bathroom was very large with a walk in shower and tv in the bath! The room had a sitting area, table, large tv, tea making facilities, masses of storage space, a huge comfortable bed, plush interiors, fresh fruit and water, fluffy robes and slippers, everything you could wish for!

The spa is also fabulous. We enjoyed all the facilities in particular champagne in the outdoor hot tub! The facilities are all brand new and are nipping clean. We also had a facial which was also very nice.

The only thing that tainted our stay was the service in the main dining room. We encountered problems such as our steak not cooked to our liking (after asking 5 times), potted tea over stewed, slow service, having to ask for items that should already be on the table! Putting these issues to one side, the quality of food was second to none! We ate in the brasserie on our 2nd night and we preferred the relaxed atmosphere. The food was also very good. We found the main dining room a little stuffy for our liking however we appreciate it is
personal choice! A recommendation to play some music might lighten the atmosphere perhaps!

After dinner we sat in the lounge in front of the open fires playing games supplied by the hotel, bliss! The billiard room is definitely worth a look also!

We would definitely recommend this hotel if you're looking for a quiet break in the lakes. We'll be back! Next time we will bring our dog as the hotel were so dog friendly! We loved seeing the owners dogs trotting around outside in the hotel grounds! We would like to thank the staff in particular Lorraine and Kim for making our stay a memorable one!

Mr and Mrs Armstrong

• Stayed October 2012
London
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We stayed here for one night for our anniversary and didn't want to leave in the morning. The spa was amazing with really modern facilities and it was delightful to sit in the outdoor jacuzzi sipping champagne. The grounds were stunning.

The staff were very good, and attended to our needs. We ate at the restaurant which was also very good. The room itself was spacious and the bathroom was modern.

We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Halifax West Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I booked a weekend Spa break for myself and my wife. We have been going through a very sticky patch with our marriage and I though I need to pull out all the stops. I rang the Armathwaite Hall and spoke to a lovely girl called Gemma who advised of the lovely room type called the Hartley Tower Suite, this combined with a five course gourmet dinner, and 60 minutes of spa treatments for my wife and I on the Sunday Morning. The cost was £440 for one night but i had chosen an expensive room and i need to save my marriage so what the heck. I then advised Gemma that I needed some Flowers placing in the room after we had seen the room as we're to nip out and then they would place the flowers in the room. Also as my wife is very fussy regarding Champagne I asked if I fetched my own would they place this on ice in the room at the same time as leaving the flowers, all of which was not a problem. We were utterly impressed when we arrived with the london drive through the grounds which lead to the mightly impressive building. We were checked in all will ease and shown to our room by the bell hop, he the showed us the winding staircase which leads to your own private balcony will stunning views of Bassenthwaite Lake. I then sneaked back downstairs with the bell hop to write on the card which was with the beautiful flowers arranged by the hotel, I then gave our bellhop the champagne and asked if he could place this on the roof tower, when he placed the flowers in the room. My wife and I went for a quick stroll around the grounds to give the hotel time to work there magic for me, which was carried out perfectly, my wife's look of amazement when she walked back into the room to see the beautiful bouquet of flowers was a picture, at this point I lead her up the winding staircase to the rooftop, to see my bottle of champagne chilling nicely on ice along side two champagne flutes. PERFECT. The evening meal was sumptuous along with the good variety of wines. Our spa treatments the following morning with Gemma and Claire was unbelievable, total relaxation.
All in all this hotel in my eyes is a winner throughout, from the excellent food, extremely courteous staff, well just everything really. Our 10 th wedding anniversary is on 1st December and thanks to this hotel and all there help ill get to it, would ideally like to take my wife back, but probably the funds will not allow such extravagance, but all in all please, please ignore the few negative comments, there is no pleasing everybody, in my eyes this hotel, the staff, food, spa facilities and incredible.
If the manager of the hotel reads this please award yourself a massive pat on the back, a stunning overnight stay, my marriage back on track, and all with the help of your fantastic staff
I'm so grateful

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Having spent £173 pound on an 'indulgence day' I was expecting something special. The grounds and spa facility themselves were spectacular. On arrival we were given a tour of the facilities, however we had to seek out information regarding when lunch was served, times of treatment etc, as staff had forgotten to issue our itinerary sheet for the day. it would have been nice to be offered a tea/coffee or soft drink on arrival, but these cost extra. There was however lots of water available.
The gym was well equipped and staff were at hand to provide any guidance you required. The equipment was modern, but I should have taken my headphones to plug into the entertainment on the cardiovascular equipment. There were plenty of towels and sweat towels available to use in the gym.
The whole water area was fantastic, with the exception of shortage of sun lounges at the pool side, in the morning there was one spare which is not adequate when there are two of you. In the afternoon there was no available sun lounges. The outside hot tub, pool, aroma room, steam room, sauna and indoor hot tub area were well maintained and clean.
The lunch was the most disappointing aspect of the day. Having worked out in the gym, swam and used the other water facilities myself and my friend had worked up quite an appetite. Although it states light lunch, the portions were very small and not enough to sustain energy levels from 10am to after 6pm. Water was served in a plastic jug with 'pimms' advertised on the side, I expected better from a quality hotel facility. Water during treatment was also served out of plastic beakers.
Part of the package included one and a half hours treatment. However my treatments only lasted one hour ten minutes. The treatment rooms were nicely lit with coloured wall lights, however the temperature throughout the treatment areas was on the cool side. The post treatment relaxation area was a nice room with warm blankets, but you had to walk through a well lit area to get to it. Better design would have had the treatment area corridor built onto the post treatment area. There was a mix up with both my own treatment and my friends when our therapists moved from one treatment to another, despite it being clearly documented on our itinerary.
In conclusion the facilities and surroundings were excellent, but the cost, poor organisation and amount of food served let it down.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SE_73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Under Skiddaw
BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!