So we have travelled throught the UK tapping into "luxury family hotels" and I made a mess of trying to book the Elms in Warwick for the Bank holiday and ended up googling and finding Armathwaite. They had space and we were good to go.
The hotel itself is an impressive building in beautiful grounds but it's a real shame that they have managed to create a starnge formal, almost silver service approach and yet it doesn't work.
We stayed over the bank holiday and no matter where you go in the public areas, there is piped music in the morning and it seemed only to play Old Blues Eyes himself.
Then, you sit down for breakfast, which I have to say is lack lustre but with the waiters in their uniforms and the white table cloths, you would expect a culinary delight. I asked for the home made granola on the menu and they gave me Alpen! I asked ofr a croissant and it took 15 minutes too arrive. In fact the process of replenishment of the breakfast buffet seemed to be "let it run out, then we'll do something about it".
OK, now we have the staff themselves. Nobody had a pace, nor did they appear to be guest facing, they get to you eventually. The vast majority of the staff were migrant workers, which was a real disappointment in an area of high unemployment such as Bassenthwaite.
Overall, the rooms were clean but the plumbing is only just ok and the decor is beautifully maintained but dated.
Not sure we will be going back, there are much better places for families in the same price bracket but I guess that's why we could book at such short notice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Armathwaite Hall Country House Hotel and Spa is a beautiful four red star 17th-century former stately home situated near to Keswick on the shores of Bassenthwaite Lake. The hotel and spa is private owned and features forty six bedrooms of individual character from stylish spa bedrooms to the luxury of studio suites with stunning lake views. The rosette fine dining Lake View Restaurant serves table d’hote lunches and dinners in elegant surroundings to both residents and non resident guests. The Courtyard Bar and Brasserie is a stylish modern alternative serving meals in a relaxed atmosphere. Afternoon teas are served daily and are a great way to celebrate with family and friends. Licensed to hold civil ceremonies for romantic weddings up to 150 guests. The award winning spa, offers the best in facilities from the 16 meter infinity edge pool to the luxurious outdoor spa pool, thermal suite and life fitness gym. Ten treatment rooms including a double treatment room offer relaxing and soothing treatments to guests, day spa and members. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotel.de, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Priceline, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel Bassenthwaite
- Armathwaite Hall Keswick
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel Keswick
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa Bassenthwaite/Keswick, Lake District