“Afternoon tea”

Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Very disappointing, booked and requested a table in the conservatory, but was seated in the lounge and had to ask to be moved. Receptionist not pleasant with her welcoming words. Not enough tea choice and far too many in the sweet selection and not enough savoury. Over rated and not good value for money.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,702)

Reviewed 15 December 2013

My friend and I enjoyed 2night break 1st Dec very impressive grounds,hotel,food and service. Enjoyed the spa and especially hot tub outside. Would recommend clay shooting,George was a great guide and good company and made us feel at ease. The only thing I would say and it's really being pinickety the bathroom door in room 161 was worn and shabbyish surprised given how beautiful the room was. Staff were very well trained and attention to detail were second to none. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We have visited this hotel several times and highly recommend it for the food and spa facilities but I think the bedrooms are in need of some attention. On our last stay the heating in our bedroom didn't work at all. However as soon as we reported the problem a heater was placed in the room that did the job just as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at Armathwaite Hall for three nights in November. We had a lovely room in the main hotel which was beautifully appointed and comfortable. The hotel staff were kind and attentive to our needs and the breakfasts were very good.
We ate at both the brasserie which was less expensive and informal, and also in the main restaurant where the food was exceptionally good and the service was splendid.
We also had a treatment each at the spa and used the indoor pool, sauna, steam room and outdoor hot tub. The spa treatment was excellent and it was exhilarating to sit in the outdoor hot tub on a cold crisp day over looking the hotels lovely grounds.
We had a brilliant short break at the hotel and we were able to find the relaxation we so badly needed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My wife and me stayed at the Armathwaite courtesy of our daughter as a treat. And it was! The Hall is a lovely old building, very impressive as you drive towards it in the car but even more impressive once inside. The reception areas, restaurant, bar etc were sumptuous and as it was December they were adorned with Christmas decorations, the like of which I've seldom seen. Someone must have to prewarn the National Grid when the lights are switched on! We had a Spa room which was great and was just a short stroll down the corridor in one's dressing gown to the Spa itself. This area is completely different from the Hotel as it is very modern but it is just as sumptuous - maybe even more so.
We ate in the restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed everything, returning twelve hours later to stuff ourselves further with the superb breakfast. All the hotel staff (and there were plenty!) were efficient, courteous and friendly.
We had a walk around the delightful grounds which go right down to the edge of Bassenthwaite Lake and also spent a few minutes watching the herd of alpacas.
Any fault we could find would only be nitpicking but maybe if the Hotel reads TA reviews the following may help. The fire in the reception area is a bit smoky. We sat there for a few minutes and it was quite strong. Does the flue need attention? The Spa staff, though efficient and courteous, could possibly have been a bit more friendly - though that may just be my personal preference. And, lastly, it is expensive!
One final gripe is that we were only there for one night! It would have been so much better to stay there for an extra night so we could have a full day of Spa and treatments. Maybe next time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Just had 2 nights at this hotel. Wonderful old building and full of charm. When arrived at my bedroom all looked good. Went to bed at around 11.30pm and light was on under canopy which was over the bed. This was very dirty and had not been cleaned for a very long time. I felt nothing I could do at that time of night. Next day saw reception and 2 members of staff came with me to see canopy over bed and agreed it needed cleaning and would be done before I went to bed that evening. I went to bedroom around 11.20pm only to find still dirty. Went to reception and was given another room. I had to change all my things to new room around 11.45pm. Not good. No apology given. Rather disappointed as this is a 4 star hotel and expensive.

Room Tip: Do not book a 4 poster room or a bed with canopy over. Canopy in my room very dirty. Not able to l...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here after my recent surgery for a bit of rest and recuperation. It was the perfect place to stay.
Everything about Armathwaite Hall Hotel is excellent. Our favourite was the outdoor hot tub. Fantastic pool and spa area.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Juliewalkingdog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!