“Excellent afternoon tea”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Excellent afternoon tea”
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Visited for our 38th wedding anniversary. They brought us a beautifully decorated slate dish with Happy Anniversary, cake and gorgeous cream and red currants. Hubby had normal tea and they provided a gluten free version for me. I advised when booking. Sandwiches, scones, cake, biscuits etc. Excellent. We had a glass of very nice champagne. Service was brilliant and all staff incredibly helpful and pleasant. Beautiful surroundings, would recommend for a treat.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HethT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I had great expectations about this hotel after reading the reviews, upon arrival it looks very grand, it was a few weeks before Christmas time, so I thought the atmosphere would be great (how very wrong)
Check in was smooth, not given any advice about where to find spa etc......room spotless, bed comfy, plenty of tea and coffee, and a TV in the bathroom (I coudn't get it to work though)
We went for a wander around the hotel, found the spa and a little bar that served food, we settled in the bar which was ghostly quiet, I think one other person in there, we ordered a light lunch and a couple of drinks, food was good, staff excellent ( I noticed all the waiting staff and bar staff are foreign and they were absolutley excellent)
We later found the spa, this was very nice, an infinity pool outside that is heated ( a lot of couples sitting in that drinking champagne.... lovely) speant an hour or so there, then back to the room to relax and get ready for dinner.
We had dinner in the restaurant, I was soooo disappointed, the food was mediocre at best, starter okay, we had the flambed steak for main, not good and came with one potato croquety type item and a small amount of vegetables. Dessert I chose the cheese board, well it tasted like it had been lying around for months, awful.
We then retired to the drawing room by the fire, no atmosphere again, no music, no people just silence.............service by the bar staff great, we tipped them very well because they were so good.
Breakfast superb! enough said
Waited to check out for about 15 minutes, finally a man came, never asked did we enjoy our stay, would we come back nothing just paid the bill and left.
I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samuela66
London
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had saved up for a quality weekend away. Part romance, bigger part, rest and relaxation!

I had planned this visit some weeks in advance, as we were going by helicopter and wanted to make sure the hotel was ok with it etc

Danni the receptionist took my call and it was like chatting to my mum! Nothing was too much trouble and she remained a huge part of our weekend away.

Our room was fabulous. But if I had to criticise...a bath big enough for two people would have been nice! The bathroom was huge! Also, a drinks fridge would have been useful.

Sarah took my bookings in the spa. I've never booked spa treatments for a girlfriend before, so Sarah picked them and absolutely got it right! My better half was blown away by the knowledge and professionalism of the staff in the spa.

I swam a lot! The pool is excellent, the steam rooms etc are also first class! As for the outside hot tub and a cheeky glass of champagne, well, what can one say!! Loved it!

We ate in the brasserie on the Saturday evening. The food was first class! The surroundings in the brasserie could be updated but we were very much absorbed in our own company. The two waitresses who looked after us were very professional and totally understand the customer service etiquette.

The menu wasn't extravagant but it worked. We ordered steak...and a very fine steak we got!! (Much better than the Swan!) would have like to have seen more cuts of steak available. Equally, Cumberland sausage would have been very welcome.

Breakfast in bed was superb. Our only complaint would be, another round of toast would have been very very welcome.

Would we stay there again?
-Oh hell yes!!

We can't wait! Superb weekend and we've lined up friends and family for another visit...to be honest several visits!

Facilities were great and the staff were excellent!

M (London)

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here before going on to the Samling at Windermere.
It's such a beautiful place
The spa feature room was gorgeous And spacious.
Dinner in the lake view restaurant was very good as was breakfast.
We spent the next day in the spa which again was beautiful , relaxing, clean and well maintained.
Walking through the grounds was lovely , the staff were very courteous and professional.
We will be back and would highly recommend.
A lovely stay x

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna K
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Myself and my wife visited this venue the day after we were engaged. We instantly fell in love with it. The views, the facilities, the staff were perfect. From the moment we booked this venue to the moment we checked out the morning after the wedding, the professionalism of the staff could not be faulted. The staff were knowledgeable about the wedding 'extras', hair dresser, make up, entertainment and made some fantastic recommendations. The final result was the perfect wedding day for both myself and my wife. Everyone who attended praised the venue and the staff and the general feedback from our family and friends is that it was the nicest wedding they had attended. It was an amazing day, everything we wanted. The day was well organised thanks to the staff, the food -wow!, drinks seemed never ending. Could not fault a thing. Thank you so much for making our day the best day of our lives.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stuart G
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

This is my second time here at armathwaite for afternoon tea the first time I was unable to fault it and was a great treat me & 8 other friends We were in the conservatory room looking onto the lake.
Me and my partner had been for a night away in the lakes so decided to pop in for tea on our way home.. (Wish I hadn't bothered)...
We were sat in a dingy dark lounge area with a fireplace that had no coals just wood and was a really strong firey smell.. We were seated and our table was then set for us.. The hotel was not at all busy and I only seen us and two other lady's having afternoon tea so why not seat us in the view room :/ I was not happy by the arrival or the tea as the silver wear was dirty and unpolished which shouldn't be the case at £19.50 a head...
The tea it's self which comprised of hot scones different varieties, and butter and clotted cream and jam these were lovely.
The sandwiches how ever where not so lovely but felt we had to eat them as we had paid a considerable price..
The cake selection we were served wasn't satisfactory and expected a little more elegance about the way in which they were presented to us..
I might sound very nit picky here but at an establishment like this you expect the best.. Am I right? We weren't offered more tea nor hot water, we weren't offered to take what we'd left of our selection neither which I feel was a disgrace as I've said £19.50 per person you'd expect more staff okay but a little cockey for my liking... Sure to say I won't be returning nor will I recommend... Such a shame as I've had no expirience of this whilst on a spa day here or on a previous afternoon tea visit

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Emma B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We had originally only booked afternoon tea here and when I saw we could stay for only £149 we decided to go for it and stay the night before. The receptionist was really helpful in advising us on the choice of room and unlike lots of places that try to persaude you to book a more expensive room she reassured us we had a lovely room booked. When we arrived we were informed that we had been upgraded to a superoir suite!!! The Boustead suite was lovely, it has fantastic views down to the lake, a roof terrace that overlooks the gardens and lake. It had a lovely modern bathroom, the main suite was spacious with a wonderful window seat to make the most of the views, fireplace (sadly no real fire), extreemly large comfortable bed and a seating area. It was very quiet and peaceful and we felt very spoilt. We ate in the brasserie which was very good and had breakfast in the lake veiw restaurant which was excellent. The spa and outdoor hot tub were very welcome after a long walk even when it started to rain. Our afternoon tea was delicious and we came away with what we couldn't eat. The staff here are one of the places real assests everyone we came into contact with were friendly, helpful and not at all stuffy. If I have a criticism it would be the furnishings and decor in the suite were dated, with lots of 80's swaggy cutains and floral boarders and the toilet was in a corner of the room away from the modern bathroom and again a bit of a throw back to the 1980's. Don't let that put you off we had a fantastic short break and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask the staff they are very knowledgable and will guide you.