“Wonderful stay however comment was inappropriate”

Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Me, my partner and pouch stayed for 2 nights in March. The setting is beautiful with suburb views of the lake, the spa was lovely and the food was great. Really great steak in the brasserie.
Nice touches in the room for the dog such as treats.

The staff were very polite and attended to our needs. However on our first night a member of the bar staff offended me greatly, stating that the hall shouldn't put deals on Travel zoo as it encourages the wrong type of people to come and stay lowing the class and standards of the hall.
I was therefore made to feel like us lower class people who are actually well to do shouldn't be staying at the hall. The moral of the story is not to judge I feel this member of staff should be educated in the fact that all your customers have value no matter how they came about purchasing their stay.
I was also over charged £90 upon settling the tab. I contacted reception (Gemma) who was very good and made sure I received the refund without any quibbles.

Overall I would recommend staying in this establishment but avoid the rude comments.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JSuddsy
There are newer reviews for Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Disappointed with service. Wait 40 mins to get tea. Waiter very disinterested and irritated when asked to take us to our table. The next waiter was more helpful but never came back to check if we needed extra tea. Had to go back to reception and ask at desk for more tea. Hairs in cakes and tea definitely not anywhere near quality of previous visits. For price of £21 each would not recommend or go back. Only plus is view from hotel across lake is spectacular wish I could say same for service and food.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aileen A
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Having just returned from a few days at Armathwaite Hall, we would recommend this hotel to anyone. From the moment you arrive, to leaving, the experience is superb. The quality of the room, with superb lake views, through to the spa and treatments was all outstanding. Without fail, any member of the team that you meet go out of their way to say hello and make you welcome. In particular, special mention to the chef and his team for an outstanding menu. The food quality was excellent. Having read a review that described dinner in the lake view restaurant as mediocre, we could not disagree more. The service and quality had been outstanding. It was also very nice to see that there is a slight change to the menu each day. So often in hotels the menu is only changed one a week. Thank you again to all the team. A must for any guest, as well as enjoying the food & wine, is to enjoy the spa. You can quite literally spend all day there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with lake views
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 3BTraveller
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I visited the Armathwaite Hall for a two night break in March. What a fabulous setting, helped by the weather of course, the first two days sunshine for a very long time! We were greeted warmly and was over the moon to have been upgraded to a junior suite. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, they seemed to want to help to make your stay special. The Brasserie meal was superb (even though the new wing didn't have quite the character of the main Hall) as was the breakfast in the morning which was served overlooking the gardens and lake. The only fly in the ointment was that there was a business function on at the same time and they were quite a rowdy lot! but then again, you can't have everything.

Room Tip: Stay in the main Hall. The new wing does not have the same character.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeonaR778
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Visited for our 38th wedding anniversary. They brought us a beautifully decorated slate dish with Happy Anniversary, cake and gorgeous cream and red currants. Hubby had normal tea and they provided a gluten free version for me. I advised when booking. Sandwiches, scones, cake, biscuits etc. Excellent. We had a glass of very nice champagne. Service was brilliant and all staff incredibly helpful and pleasant. Beautiful surroundings, would recommend for a treat.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HethT
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I had great expectations about this hotel after reading the reviews, upon arrival it looks very grand, it was a few weeks before Christmas time, so I thought the atmosphere would be great (how very wrong)
Check in was smooth, not given any advice about where to find spa etc......room spotless, bed comfy, plenty of tea and coffee, and a TV in the bathroom (I coudn't get it to work though)
We went for a wander around the hotel, found the spa and a little bar that served food, we settled in the bar which was ghostly quiet, I think one other person in there, we ordered a light lunch and a couple of drinks, food was good, staff excellent ( I noticed all the waiting staff and bar staff are foreign and they were absolutley excellent)
We later found the spa, this was very nice, an infinity pool outside that is heated ( a lot of couples sitting in that drinking champagne.... lovely) speant an hour or so there, then back to the room to relax and get ready for dinner.
We had dinner in the restaurant, I was soooo disappointed, the food was mediocre at best, starter okay, we had the flambed steak for main, not good and came with one potato croquety type item and a small amount of vegetables. Dessert I chose the cheese board, well it tasted like it had been lying around for months, awful.
We then retired to the drawing room by the fire, no atmosphere again, no music, no people just silence.............service by the bar staff great, we tipped them very well because they were so good.
Breakfast superb! enough said
Waited to check out for about 15 minutes, finally a man came, never asked did we enjoy our stay, would we come back nothing just paid the bill and left.
I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Samuela66
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had saved up for a quality weekend away. Part romance, bigger part, rest and relaxation!

I had planned this visit some weeks in advance, as we were going by helicopter and wanted to make sure the hotel was ok with it etc

Danni the receptionist took my call and it was like chatting to my mum! Nothing was too much trouble and she remained a huge part of our weekend away.

Our room was fabulous. But if I had to criticise...a bath big enough for two people would have been nice! The bathroom was huge! Also, a drinks fridge would have been useful.

Sarah took my bookings in the spa. I've never booked spa treatments for a girlfriend before, so Sarah picked them and absolutely got it right! My better half was blown away by the knowledge and professionalism of the staff in the spa.

I swam a lot! The pool is excellent, the steam rooms etc are also first class! As for the outside hot tub and a cheeky glass of champagne, well, what can one say!! Loved it!

We ate in the brasserie on the Saturday evening. The food was first class! The surroundings in the brasserie could be updated but we were very much absorbed in our own company. The two waitresses who looked after us were very professional and totally understand the customer service etiquette.

The menu wasn't extravagant but it worked. We ordered steak...and a very fine steak we got!! (Much better than the Swan!) would have like to have seen more cuts of steak available. Equally, Cumberland sausage would have been very welcome.

Breakfast in bed was superb. Our only complaint would be, another round of toast would have been very very welcome.

Would we stay there again?
-Oh hell yes!!

We can't wait! Superb weekend and we've lined up friends and family for another visit...to be honest several visits!

Facilities were great and the staff were excellent!

M (London)

• Stayed: March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!