“What's not to Love!!!”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Derby, United Kingdom
“What's not to Love!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from another trip to this wonderful Cumbria country hotel. On arrival you are greeted by professional courteous staff, show to your wonderful room by Porter. The rooms particularly in the old hall are a real treat beautifully decorated and totally in keeping tradition.
The food from breakfast, dinner and cream teas are delicious with homemade jams and scones.
Finally the Spa - the BEST I have ever been to! Had a great treatment too then chilled in the outdoor bit tub .
All of the staff are professional courteous and do all they can to enhance your stay.
We will definitely be back and would recommend a stay at this Cumbrian Gem .

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank 52nell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We had a couple of nights at the hotel and loved it. The building and it's location are beautiful . Our room was clean , very well presented with high quality bedding, soft furnishings and towels and very comfortable. We had lunch in the brasserie on arrival ; service was good the food well presented and excellent value for money. We were blessed with sunshine for the whole of our visit so really enjoyed walks to the Lake , in the grounds and further away around Derwent Water and the Borrowdale Valley . Breakfasts were excellent and served in the Lake View Restaurant . Loved the pool and hog tub ! My only reservation would be the evening meal in the brasserie .

Room Tip: We had a club room with no view as we had a special price deal but could not quibble about he qualit...
Llwyngwril, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We picked Armathwaite Hall to visit for our 'doggie' holiday as when I spoke to the most helpful young lady on reception she advised me that she would put us into the dog friendly room on ground floor. This was also a bonus as my husband is disabled. We arrived mid afternoon and we received wonderful service from the word go. I was helped with the luggage and dog items into our room which was large with a really nice enclosed seating area overlooking the lawned gardens towards the lake. The food here was excellent with a good choice of menu in the main dining room. Good choice of wine on the wine lists also.The staff here are all so attentive and nothing is too much trouble. Our dogs loved the walks around the grounds the hotel provided doggie treats and maps also.The cute Alpacas across the field were very friendly and loved to come and talk when you went to see them. All in all a very nice four day break with good food and great service.

Room Tip: Ground floor spa room great for disabled and dog owners
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I visited Armathwaite Hall earlier this week for my 21st birthday celebrations. Myself & my family had Afternoon Tea followed by myself and my other half staying over night with the 'Lakeland Break' package. I have done a lot of travelling & have stayed in some beautiful hotels all over the UK from 5* in London to Edinburgh & everywhere inbetween. And I have to say, none of them even compare to Armathwaite Hall - in particular, the service from the staff.

The Afternoon Tea was beautiful with a huge selection of sandwiches, cakes, scones, cheesecakes, quiches & biscuits. It's not your basic sandwich, these sandwiches were unreal. I think too many people may expect a baguette and a slice of cake, but this afternoon tea is more 'fine dining' and 'gourmet'.

We had booked to stay in a Deluxe Double room however the staff had obviously got wind of my 21st birthday (probably from my mother...) & upgraded us to thee best room in the hotel. Which was AMAZING. We were on the top floor of the tower, with our private balcony that wasn't overlooked by anything, with a view over the lawns and straight down the middle of the lake. It was just breath-taking. And I only live ten minutes down the road!

We used the spa that afternoon which was very peaceful and relaxing - I had forgotten make-up remover and the receptionist at the spa insisted that she must make me up a little bottle of remover. This was followed by a three-course-meal in the evening which was beautiful. I had the steak (and I have eaten a LOT of steak in some very exclusive restaurants) and I'd say it was well up there in my top 10 steaks. The staff then brought us free champagne & wished me a very happy birthday.

I had walked past a couple of female staff in the corridor who had stopped me to ask how I was enjoying my birthday and how lovely my outfit was. Every staff member I came into contact with always had either birthday congratulations or lovely things to say, even though I'd never seen them before! (How did they ALL know it was my birthday?!) The staffs attention to detail was unbelievable and I have never felt more welcome anywhere in all of my life!

I would 110% recommend this hotel to anybody who is need of a QUIET and RELAXING break. It's a beautifully traditional British estate/'stately home' however the merge between this and the contemporary spa is just seamless..

Thank you so much Armathwaite Hall for making my 21st birthday unforgettable :)

Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We recently stayed at the hotel for a few nights away from the hustle and bustle of our busy lives. We have stayed at the hotel before and are always delighted by the quality of service, accommodation and food. We requested a room in the main building and yet again had a lovely room, well presented and very comfortable. We ate at the main restaurant where the quality of the food and service is consistently high.
During the day we visited the spa and had a few treatments. We also used the outside jacuzzi and indoor pool, both of which are excellent facilities. Sitting in the outdoor jacuzzi overlooking the hotel grounds is so lovely!
This hotel is very nice and an excellent place to relax and unwind in luxury.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Had a very relaxing weekend here. Lovely countryside and lake view. Main hotel is country manor style. Traditional style bedrooms but with good modern bathrooms. Very attentive staff. Spa is a real contemporary contrast. Great treatment rooms and once again lovely staff. We will be back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Does not understand the poor reviews on this place at all!!!! It's beautiful, lovely staff in a fantastic setting.

We stayed for 2 nights in February. Arriving late around 11pm. The staff couldn't of been more accommodating. Food was delivered to our room within 20mins. With 2 ice cold beers.

Spa treatments and facilities were amazing. Swimming pool was great. And being in the outdoor hot tub whilst it was freezing was great.

Food here is amazing. The guy who greets you on an evening (sorry can't remember name) is a true gentleman. Attention to detail here was superb. Great wine selection. And beers very well priced. Couldn't of asked for a better stay.

Get booking!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Under Skiddaw

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!