“Wonderful Hotel, Amazing Location and Fabulous Spa”

Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Spent one night at this wonderful spa hotel and wish it could have been much longer. The location is out of this world, spectacular scenery and so serene. We stayed in a club room overlooking the deer park. The room was beautifully furnished with an extremely comfortable bed and a great bathroom. The spa facilities are wonderful and I think you would be hard pressed to find better. We upgraded to have evening meal in the Lake View restaurant and this was well worth the extra. The food was delicious and all of the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just returned from another stay at Armathwaite Hall. This was my longest stay yet. Staff are delightful; friendly and courteous. Rooms are excellent with all the facilities you need and delightful views.I prefer to stay in the main body of the hotel but the spa rooms look good too. Food was superb and the gym, pool and jacuzzis are brilliant. All make it an excellent play to stay, whether it be for one night or a week. I will definitely be returning soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2014

11 of us booked for the weekend of my 40th birthday.

The location is stunning, the animal park next door is not only convenient but the kids (and adults) loved it.

The Brasserie was good, although lacked a little atmosphere.

The Spa is one of the best we have been to. Brilliant!

The whole thing was let down by the staff who (although nice people) are clearly lacking enough understanding of the English language to transmit simple orders to the kitchen, i.e. we ordered a Ham and cheese sandwich with no butter for our 4 year old for lunch and we got 2 plates, 1 ham and 1 cheese sandwich both buttered and 40 minutes later.

On the night of my 40th birthday celebration we were looking forward to dining in the Lake view restaurant. When asked regarding the menu for our 4 small children the head waiter snapped there is nothing else but this menu, the kids can only have half portions. So how many 2 year olds do you know who will eat fine french food? Foie Gras? Crazy inflexible idiot! This ruined our whole weekend. The kids went hungry, we could not wait to leave and get them some food while the waiters were still trying to decipher our Yorkshire accents.

When checking out the next morning trying to resolve the bill was a different story, the very stern woman on reception was having none of our questions regarding the copious amount of sandwiches and drinks on our bill for dinner that we did not have.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Runtothehills
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from another trip to this wonderful Cumbria country hotel. On arrival you are greeted by professional courteous staff, show to your wonderful room by Porter. The rooms particularly in the old hall are a real treat beautifully decorated and totally in keeping tradition.
The food from breakfast, dinner and cream teas are delicious with homemade jams and scones.
Finally the Spa - the BEST I have ever been to! Had a great treatment too then chilled in the outdoor bit tub .
All of the staff are professional courteous and do all they can to enhance your stay.
We will definitely be back and would recommend a stay at this Cumbrian Gem .

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank 52nell
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We had a couple of nights at the hotel and loved it. The building and it's location are beautiful . Our room was clean , very well presented with high quality bedding, soft furnishings and towels and very comfortable. We had lunch in the brasserie on arrival ; service was good the food well presented and excellent value for money. We were blessed with sunshine for the whole of our visit so really enjoyed walks to the Lake , in the grounds and further away around Derwent Water and the Borrowdale Valley . Breakfasts were excellent and served in the Lake View Restaurant . Loved the pool and hog tub ! My only reservation would be the evening meal in the brasserie .

Room Tip: We had a club room with no view as we had a special price deal but could not quibble about he qualit...
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We picked Armathwaite Hall to visit for our 'doggie' holiday as when I spoke to the most helpful young lady on reception she advised me that she would put us into the dog friendly room on ground floor. This was also a bonus as my husband is disabled. We arrived mid afternoon and we received wonderful service from the word go. I was helped with the luggage and dog items into our room which was large with a really nice enclosed seating area overlooking the lawned gardens towards the lake. The food here was excellent with a good choice of menu in the main dining room. Good choice of wine on the wine lists also.The staff here are all so attentive and nothing is too much trouble. Our dogs loved the walks around the grounds the hotel provided doggie treats and maps also.The cute Alpacas across the field were very friendly and loved to come and talk when you went to see them. All in all a very nice four day break with good food and great service.

Room Tip: Ground floor spa room great for disabled and dog owners
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I visited Armathwaite Hall earlier this week for my 21st birthday celebrations. Myself & my family had Afternoon Tea followed by myself and my other half staying over night with the 'Lakeland Break' package. I have done a lot of travelling & have stayed in some beautiful hotels all over the UK from 5* in London to Edinburgh & everywhere inbetween. And I have to say, none of them even compare to Armathwaite Hall - in particular, the service from the staff.

The Afternoon Tea was beautiful with a huge selection of sandwiches, cakes, scones, cheesecakes, quiches & biscuits. It's not your basic sandwich, these sandwiches were unreal. I think too many people may expect a baguette and a slice of cake, but this afternoon tea is more 'fine dining' and 'gourmet'.

We had booked to stay in a Deluxe Double room however the staff had obviously got wind of my 21st birthday (probably from my mother...) & upgraded us to thee best room in the hotel. Which was AMAZING. We were on the top floor of the tower, with our private balcony that wasn't overlooked by anything, with a view over the lawns and straight down the middle of the lake. It was just breath-taking. And I only live ten minutes down the road!

We used the spa that afternoon which was very peaceful and relaxing - I had forgotten make-up remover and the receptionist at the spa insisted that she must make me up a little bottle of remover. This was followed by a three-course-meal in the evening which was beautiful. I had the steak (and I have eaten a LOT of steak in some very exclusive restaurants) and I'd say it was well up there in my top 10 steaks. The staff then brought us free champagne & wished me a very happy birthday.

I had walked past a couple of female staff in the corridor who had stopped me to ask how I was enjoying my birthday and how lovely my outfit was. Every staff member I came into contact with always had either birthday congratulations or lovely things to say, even though I'd never seen them before! (How did they ALL know it was my birthday?!) The staffs attention to detail was unbelievable and I have never felt more welcome anywhere in all of my life!

I would 110% recommend this hotel to anybody who is need of a QUIET and RELAXING break. It's a beautifully traditional British estate/'stately home' however the merge between this and the contemporary spa is just seamless..

Thank you so much Armathwaite Hall for making my 21st birthday unforgettable :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Ireby
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!