“Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We had afternoon tea on Thursday, whilst we arranged our stay for the usual family gathering at the Armathwaite Hotel. The afternoon tea was wonderful as usual and the staff couldn't do enough. We asked for extra tea and coffee, which wasn't a problem. The waiter explained all the different sandwiches and cakes. We had more than enough to eat. I cannot recommend this hotel enough to eat or stay, we always have a great stay and are made to feel very welcomed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I booked afternoon tea as a birthday treat for my wife, having been twice before and on both occasions it had been superb, we were both looking forward to returning.

Changes had been made to the menu and sadly not for the better, the sandwiches were not special, one of them had small chunks of ham which was not what we expected for afternoon tea.

Then on to the scones, one cheese and one cherry, my wife asked the waiter why there was only one of each and he replied that we were expected to share!

As scones jam and cream are the main part of afternoon tea we thought it very strange that we had to share one fruit scone.

There was lemon cheesecake in a small glass, two small quiches, cakes and dessert wine, we just could not understand why they felt they needed to make all these additions and leave out an integral part of afternoon tea with the lack of scones.

On our previous visits the waiters returned several times to ask if we would like more tea, this time no one even came to ask.

At £42 this was a very expensive and disappointing afternoon

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 913Enrico9
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We holiday in the Lake District frequently, and each time over 20 years, we have come to Armathwaite Hall for afternoon tea. It is one of our family traditions.
I booked as usual, and we arrived, excited in anticipation of a lovely treat.
Sadly, we were utterly disappointed.
The sandwiches were very tasty, but our teenage son, being a little fussy, only liked the chicken variety. Unfortunately, there were only three tiny fingers of this type and my husband and I had already eaten ours, so we asked our waiter if we could have a few more of those for my son to eat.
He rolled his eyes and said he would ask, which we found a little rude, however to be fair, he did return with a small plate of chicken sandwiches. Son was happy.
My husband asked for a refill of his cafetiere of coffee. This was met with more eye rolling, but the coffee was fetched.
Now to the scones. These are an integral part of any afternoon tea, and in the past we have always received one or two each as part of the meal. We had three scones - two cherry and a cheese one. So as there were three of us, somebody would have to go without a scone with clotted cream and jam. I do not eat glace cherries, and am the only one that likes cheese scones, so I happily ate this, but was disappointed not to have a normal scone with cream.
I do not eat sweet cakes because I have to be careful with sugar, however scones do not usually have an enormous amount of added sugar, so I usually can eat one or two with the cream but no jam. So, without a scone & cream to eat, my afternoon tea consisted of a few little finger sandwiches (delicious by the way) and one cheese scone.
My husband decided that was not right, and asked the waiter to bring more fruit scones and cream. This time, he did not just eye roll, but sighed, slumped his shoulders and walked off muttering in a foreign language.
He eventually brought a plate with 2 cheese scones and one plain scone. No cream.
I decided just to get on with eating the plain scone, as the stress of asking for anything else was too much. Sadly, the scone tasted very heavily of cinnamon, which I did not expect, and have never ever experienced elsewhere. I detest cinnamon. My husband, who loves cinnamon, said it was quite strong, even for him. We could not work out if it had been added deliberately as part of the recipe (how very weird and unpleasant) or had become contaminated by accident.
Deciding to just leave before becoming quite upset, I paid the bill and informed the receptionist that we were not happy. To give her credit, she did seem genuinely sad that we had experienced such a miserable time. A gentleman, who was standing behind reception (I do not know if he was a manager), asked me if I knew the name of the waiter. I didn't, but described him, only to receive knowing nods and "Ah" from both staff.
They did say they hoped this would not put me off, and to make sure I tell them next time I book, and they would ensure we receive some extras by way of compensation.
However, having been on 9 occasions over 20 years, we felt so let down, that we doubt very much we would bother again. We were staying in the South Lakes, so had driven an hour each way for such a terrible experience. Why would we do that again?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank LBrownGT
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed on the 9th August for our 3rd Wedding Anniversary. The hotel really did not disappoint. After driving down the long winding driveway you are greeted by the hotel which looks like an old Castle. Has a really grand appearance to it which is great when you are surprising you wife! Inside the hotel it is very old with lovely oak panelling. You are greeted by a very helpful and professional front of house who greet you with a nice glass of sherry on arrival.

The room was not quite ready and so we ate in the brasserie for lunch. The food was good and the atmosphere very relaxed - most people were actually in their gowns as it is next to the Spa.

We had a room in the tower with a fantastic view over the deer/llama park. Room a good size, bed nice and big and very very comfy indeed. Bathroom small and a bit disappointing to be honest - 2 people cannot be in the bathroom at the same time. No power in the shower (which was over a bath) but I suppose that is to be expected as it is in a very old building.

We had spa treatments which were very relaxing and the staff very professional indeed. The spa facilities - outside Jacuzzi, pool etc excellent. One thing lacking would be an icy plunge pool for when you come out of the sauna/stream room - but suppose you cannot have everything,

Evening meal was excellent and the staff very attentive especially as my wife has very severe nut allergy and so they never complained when we kept asking what was in the food. The only negative I have is that they insist on no jeans policy which to me is a bit stuffy and pretentious - why should you have to wear a suit/trousers especially when a pair of diesel jeans costs £130+. If you can afford the prices at the Armathwaite then you should be able to wear Jeans or what you want as it is not a Michelin star restaurant.

All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and its Spa and we had a very relaxing weekend away.

Room Tip: We would not recommend getting a Spa room as they seem to be on the ground floor which is a thorough...
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Love love love this hotel. Thank you for such fantastic service and lovely food and just everything. Full of character and good value for money as you receive so much in return. In particular thank you to Danni for arranging such a lovely room for us, The spa is wonderful, so relaxing, the location is good, peaceful but so many lovely walks and places to discover, The rooms are beautifully decorated and what a treat to have a TV in the bathroom! We will be back.

1 Thank MGB88187064
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Have stayed here a few times now. It is always lovely with very attentive staff and beautiful surroundings. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. Spa is fantastic, just a shame they had changed the age limit on the outdoor hot tub to 16 - my 13 year old had been really looking forward to it. Worth visiting the wildlife park next door too - big reduction in price for residents.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura C
Brigg, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very expensive hotel that is not worth the price and very shoddy. Paid £400 for dinner ,bed and breakfast. Arrived and despite large grounds, the small car park was full and long way away and had to drag luggage in. Place needs a re decorating. Room had old furniture with doors not shutting, and poor shower. The room was not cleaned properly and had a lot of dust below tv, bed etc. Our bath was not cleaned for 3 days as the toiletries were still exactly as we left the. The tv had a few channels and the Bose radio had the antenna wrapped around the dressing mirror. it did not pick up any radio stations. No air con in rooms and got very hot at night. At £400/night would have expected more comfortable rooms.
The spa was modern and nice.
Dinner was excellent with a vegetarian menu , but next night was offered the same menu with 3 choices despite everybody else getting a different menu. we were told the menu would be the same.
Basic breakfast but on 2nd morning found 2 hairs in our cereal mixture.
Avoid like the plague

10 Thank ajv14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!