“perfect peaceful place.”

Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Reviewed 10 June 2009

we stayed for a special anniversary, and couldn't have chosen a more perfect place. really enjoyed the spa, especially the hot tub surrounded by woodlands and beautiful gardens and could watch the rabbits on the lawns. very helpful caring staff,an extra special "thankyou" to susie who helped us. nothing was too much trouble.
Excellent food and service in the resturant,with splendid views, enjoyed our cup of tea on the patio after breakfast.
Excellent walks around the area.
wonderful stay. perfect

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed 9 June 2009

I booked this hotel for a special anniversary treat because of the Spa (which was fabulous) Unfortunately the hotel left a lot to be desired. VERY OVERPRICED, stuffy, dingy and dowdy. It felt like we were in the game 'Cluedo'. I was expecting Miss Marple to pop out and declare that there had been a murder in the library. The dinner was the fastest we have ever been served, we sat down at 7.45 and were out by 9.10 after six very average courses.The staff were fine. The only save was the beautiful Spa with facilities and service to rival any I have visited. Don't bother staying in the hotel if you want the Spa, just visit for the day and stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank spagirl_9
Reviewed 3 June 2009

We stayed for one evening in a Club room with a view of Bassenthwaite, included in the price was a six course dinner, breakfast and full use of their brand new spa facilities. We could not fault it from the very warm welcome we received to the hot tub overlooking the beautiful woodland. We even used the spa before breakfast as it was open from 7am.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2009

Although this is a beautiful hotel with fantastic grounds, I am sorry but I would not recommend this hotel.
Key negative points -
1. Very polite but extremely poor service. Examples - lunch orders have to be in by 1.45. Dinner Orders 9pm. Why? This is an expensive hotel, and I would expect better. We ordered tea on the patio and this took a really long time.
2. It seems a small thing, but I went down to the bar for a drink and nuts/olives etc to eat while I was waiting for my colleagues to come. They told me that they did not serve any food at the bar. It was only when I complained to the manager that I reluctantly got a bowl of crisps.
3. My Room was very hot, and the shower did not really work (water came in a dribble, and kept turning off). I think that other rooms were fine, but I was still paying a lot for my room.
4. The management were very polite but really did not seem to care. e.g. they provided broadband in the bedrooms but only with a cable, which they did not provide/sell (who walks around with a network cable)
On the plus side, the grounds were lovely, the spa (although I didn't visit) looked fine, and the food while terribly expensive, was of acceptable quality

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank danielgreen
Reviewed 20 May 2009

I paid £180/night for 2 people, B&B. The standard rate, at the time, was £270/night (£135/pppn).

I wanted a special break with my girlfiend, and I thought that, at £270/night, we were going to get something pretty awesome. We didn't. The overriding factor that let the hotel down was the room.

The room was ground floor in the extension, which had the advantage of having access to a small patio area outside (its only good point). The extension itself is very unsympathetically designed, and the rooms themselves are no better than the average Travelodge room. It was dark, the decor was circa. 1980, the bed creaked and was tilted to one side (I kept rolling out of bed) and the bathroom was dank and pokey, and furnished with cheap lino.

Despite having a nearly empty hotel for the 3 nights of our stay, we were not offered the chance to stay in the main hotel building- which IS pretty special. I took a look around some of the other rooms, courtesy of their very nice head of housekeeping, and the suites were quite literally stunning. But that's what you'd expect for £370/night (based on 2 people in their top-level suite).

The staff I found to be generally good, with the exception of management (whose attitude is snotty). I enjoyed the food, but found dinner to be overpriced (£100 for 2 people including 1 bottle of wine). Activities on offer are good, but... yes, you've guessed it: overpriced.

If you want a luxury break, I would not recommend Armathwaite Hall. Why pay £270/night for this when you can pay £270/night for the 5* Beach Rotana in Abu Dhabi? Closer to home, you can get a better room in a similar standard hotel for £150-200 night. As it stands, I would say that the Armathwaite Hall Hotel's "club rooms" (in the extension) are worth no more than £100/night, and the rooms in the main hotel building worth no more than £180/night (and £220-£250/nt for the suites).

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nrg710
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I booked it for a family get away and it was my birthday. Make sure you read the small print when you book. The childrens swimming pool is only open during breakfast and high tea (pants!!). Spa members have priority. Why bother advertising a childrens pool? Although they try and cater for small children they are not really well equiped and need to focus on this. Very stuffy.

Book online as I got a mega deal. It was half price but families staying there had paid top dollar - why?

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank cloudcatcher17
Reviewed 28 April 2009

Well it is a nice building quite impressive to drive up to then it all sadly goes wrong!.
It is a bit tired and while advertised as child friendly it really it is not !
Pool times are during breakfast and hight tea Well it is a spa madam not a leisure club (when children eat!! and you may not join them with anything to eat at high tea time and if they are over 5 years will need 2 portions )
No food available in evening other than dinner in restaurant which is a bit pretentious !!
drinks in bar while you order and that is no bar food ( as just not right while pre dinner drinks are being served)
Had one very excellent lunch with child.Served by Lithuanian Waiter who was excellent

Sadly very much overated and I had looked forward to this trip so much

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank faircommentEssex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!