“Expensive”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
london
“Expensive”
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We paid £350 for one night for two adults and two children. As it happened we were placed in the main house and the roomwas spacious, but had it been a room off the corridor leading to the spa, I would have had a fit (it was smelly and cramped). We were lucky with the weather and were able to sit on the terrace overlooking the lake: the view itself was worth the money, as far as I'm concerned. But if it were a cold day, we would have been inside, with the main lounge overlooking the car park and being a bit dark (although there was a 'morning room as well). The kids dinners were not included in the £350 mentioned above. Overall, a grand hotel but too expensive and no guarantee everyone would have the same experience: as far as I am concerned, any room outside the main house would not be worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We love the lakes & visit 3 or 4 times per year to relax & chill with our young daughter. Many of the smaller so called lux hotels are stuffy & not quite right so having just returned from a 4 day break at Armathwaite Hall I am very happy to report that we have found a perfect hotel at last.
From moment one we found this hotel very relaxing. The staff are helpful & courteous without being smug or false. The decor is impecable & I might add, this is one of the cleanest hotels I have visited. Unusually the rooms are spotless & well-equiped. We always have to ask for an ironing board & iron, here it is neatly tucked away in the wardrobe. The food is great & the spa even better. If like us your child likes to spend hours in the pool then this is for you. Again one of the cleanest spa & pool areas that I have seen which makes for a wonderful experience. We took our little dog & had a garden area which was perfect. Lots of comfy lounge areas & great service. We will be back without a doubt & whilst I read some negative reviews about this place which made me apprehensive go & see for yourself as it really is a winner!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
lancashire
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel in January as a spa break package. It was pure luxury from the moment I checked in to the moment I left.
The hotel is set in an idyllic location. All of the public areas are finished to a high standard and the spa was first class.
The staff were very pleasant and welcoming. I can't fault this hotel in any way and I would recommend a stay here to anyone.

• Stayed January 2010
cumbria
Reviewed 28 May 2010

I decided to treat myself for my birthday to treatments in the spa. Fantastic, the staff where 1st class, from the greeting on arrival to Clare who did my treatments. I can honesty reccommend this spa to anyone. I left feeling truly pampered and refreshed. I will return soon. 5 star treatment, 5 star surroundings and 5 star staff.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank CumbriaBoris
UK
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Recently stayed at the Armathwaite Hall Country House and Spa for our honeymoon and can't express in words how fantastic the experience was. Everything about the hotel is first class including the facilites and the staff. Nothing was too much trouble and all the staff ensured we had an enjoyable honeymoon. We will certainly be returning to the hotel in the future. All visitors should ensure they book a spa treatment. The staff are very professional and made us feel very special and certainly pampered. The food is delicious and very well priced.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2010

I booked myself and my partner in to Aramthwaite Hall for a joint Valentines/Birthday getaway. We enjoyed the spa, had a number of treatments and then dinner.

Whilst getting ready for dinner, the room next door to us had there wall mounted TV on. The noise went straight through the walls. I complained at the time to which i was told that it would be okay as the couple were going for dinner soon. I asked for another room but with it being Valentines Day, all rooms were fully booked.

We went for dinner and then arrived back. To summarise, we were kept awake throughout the night by televisions, a gentleman snoring and such activities that occur on this date. The snoring was the worst as this went on all night! We complained a number of times throughout the night to the night porter and night manager.

We live in a busy city location and are used to noise of all sorts. However we found our hotel room sound insulation totally inadequate and completely unfit for purpose.

We complained in the morning and had 15% / £50 knocked off the bill. We said that this was not fair and were told to write to the manager. We did this and have not acheived anything.

We went to The Lakes for a peaceful romantic getaway. We would of had a better nights sleep at a Travellodge at a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ben7404
GMsteele, General Manager at Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 May 2010
Dear Guest,

My sincere apologies that you have had no response to your complaint. Please telephone me on 017687 76551.

Kind regards,

Simon Steele
Reviewed 14 May 2010

Room facilities not as advertised. Staff unhelpful. Duty manager rude, hectoring and obnoxious. Overall, this is at best a two-star hotel masquerading as a four-star. The setting is wonderful; just stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kikashi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!