“Beautiful hotel in beautiful setting”

Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We stayed at the hotel to celebrate a special anniversary, after having enquired after many hotels you always hope you pick the right one, well we did. Armathwaite is in a beautiful setting and the approach does not disappoint, a driveway through woodland to the grand frontage of the hotel. On arrival it was apparent that there was a wedding in full swing, which was a bit off putting and we wondered if that was going to overtake our stay, we needn't have worried as the wedding guests were later moved along to the spa area where there are good sized function rooms and they did not impact on the main hotel where guests enjoyed evening meals in the restaurant.
Our room was in the main house on the top floor, one of the smaller rooms i think but well furnished, very comfortable, our only disappointment was the bathroom, this was incredibly small and a larger person may have found the bath difficult to use,was all very clean though and with the usual complimentary toiletries etc. Rooms refreshed each day and each evening beds turned down, trays refreshed and curtains drawn, lamps turned on for our return.
We ate in the restaurant on both our 2 night stay, there is only a table d'hote menu on offer, which we found very adequate with different choices available within the menu . We found the food very good, staff helpful and attentive and wine list not too expensive. Coffee and petit fours served in the lounge which is also very comfortable.
The spa is wonderful, didn't feel the need to have any of the treatments on offer, just enjoyed the swimming pool, outdoor jacuzzi (really lovely to sit in the outdoor hot tub whilst it was raining, not feeling cold, watching the rabbits on the lawns, heavenly) and the hydrotherapy room. But if the spa isn't your thing then the grounds are good to walk around too. You can walk through the woodland right down the the lakeside.
We really enjoyed our stay, even visited Trotters which we loved. This is a country house hotel furnished with old/antiquey style furniture some parts being similar to a National trust house ie snooker room (which even in middle of summer is a cold room, could do with some ambient heating in there) so for those who enjoy ultra modern, this isn't for you.
But it felt special for us and we enjoyed the atmosphere, there were families staying and the children seemed very welcome and were not shunned away from the dining room as in some hotels.
One comment i do feel needs to be said, is the corridoor down to the spa is very creaky and noisy, it seems almost impossible to walk down this passage in a quiet manner which must be very annoying for the people in rooms along there, so glad we didn't have one of those rooms.
Would thoroughly recommend Armathwaite hall to anyone who wants to be away from the hustle and bustle of places such as Windermere, this is an altogether quieter and nicer part of the lake district.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,745)

Reviewed 25 July 2010

I visited Armathwaite Hall from the US in mid July with my wife, son, daughter and son-in-law. We stayed for 4, 5 or 6 nights depending on the person and paid a total of about UK 5,000 which included meals. The hotel has exceptional views of Bassenthwiate Lake and is very secluded from the hustle and bustle of the touristy parts of the Lakes. It is close to Skiddaw (about 3000 ft) , which is well worth climbing for the incredible views. The best thing that can be said about this hotel is that they have incredibly helpful staff. They went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable and gave us a lore of local information. The evening dinners were not exceptional but quite acceptable and the chef made a special effort to meet our needs. On the downside I think that the management needs to upgrade all of the carpets and furnishings throughout the older, most interesting, part of the hotel. They seem to neglect detailed daily cleaning and I don't think I heard the hum of a vacuum cleaner during the entire time we were there. There is also no air conditioning which is useful in the middle of the summer. This may seem trivial, but the entrance to the hotel is quite awkward and one cannot seamlessly enter from the road. Given the room costs, I think that management should consider the value proposition, especially for those who make little use of the spa.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank 10k_34_22
Reviewed 11 July 2010

A friend treated my husband and I to afternoon tea for my birthday on Sunday 11th July. The greeting was lovely; there was a table ready with our name on it and the whole place had a lovely peaceful feel. There were lovely fresh flower arrangements around the place and all the staff were courteous and efficient. The tea was excellent, plenty of variety and perfectly served; extra fresh tea and coffee being brought without the asking. The cakes left on the stand were prettily boxed for us to take home; I don't think anyone could actually finish all that was offered. I give afternoon tea at Armathwaite Hall 10/10.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LittlemoCumbria
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I booked a 3 night spa break to celebrate my 60th birthday. I chose the hotel because of the spa and the special offer. It lived up to my expectations. A charming baronial mansion with a spanking new state of the art spa and leisure complex and brasserie with internet lounge. Staff, food, ambience were excellent. Our room was in the extension nex to the spa and had its oown little garden complete with table and chairs.the nathroom had a television!! The food in the restaurant was very good, the service old fashioned but charming. The brasserie run by a Brazilian chap was a joy!!
I had a hot stone massage,reflexology and a facial as part of the package[used hubby's hour too] and went back the next day for anothe hot stone massage and a maincure. The Hush Room is a great place to relax. Iloved every minute of my stay...as did my husband who spent his time hillwalking while I got pampered!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We paid £350 for one night for two adults and two children. As it happened we were placed in the main house and the roomwas spacious, but had it been a room off the corridor leading to the spa, I would have had a fit (it was smelly and cramped). We were lucky with the weather and were able to sit on the terrace overlooking the lake: the view itself was worth the money, as far as I'm concerned. But if it were a cold day, we would have been inside, with the main lounge overlooking the car park and being a bit dark (although there was a 'morning room as well). The kids dinners were not included in the £350 mentioned above. Overall, a grand hotel but too expensive and no guarantee everyone would have the same experience: as far as I am concerned, any room outside the main house would not be worth it.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We love the lakes & visit 3 or 4 times per year to relax & chill with our young daughter. Many of the smaller so called lux hotels are stuffy & not quite right so having just returned from a 4 day break at Armathwaite Hall I am very happy to report that we have found a perfect hotel at last.
From moment one we found this hotel very relaxing. The staff are helpful & courteous without being smug or false. The decor is impecable & I might add, this is one of the cleanest hotels I have visited. Unusually the rooms are spotless & well-equiped. We always have to ask for an ironing board & iron, here it is neatly tucked away in the wardrobe. The food is great & the spa even better. If like us your child likes to spend hours in the pool then this is for you. Again one of the cleanest spa & pool areas that I have seen which makes for a wonderful experience. We took our little dog & had a garden area which was perfect. Lots of comfy lounge areas & great service. We will be back without a doubt & whilst I read some negative reviews about this place which made me apprehensive go & see for yourself as it really is a winner!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel in January as a spa break package. It was pure luxury from the moment I checked in to the moment I left.
The hotel is set in an idyllic location. All of the public areas are finished to a high standard and the spa was first class.
The staff were very pleasant and welcoming. I can't fault this hotel in any way and I would recommend a stay here to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Embleton Spa Hotel
Embleton Spa Hotel
#1 of 1 in Embleton

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!