We stayed at the hotel to celebrate a special anniversary, after having enquired after many hotels you always hope you pick the right one, well we did. Armathwaite is in a beautiful setting and the approach does not disappoint, a driveway through woodland to the grand frontage of the hotel. On arrival it was apparent that there was a wedding in full swing, which was a bit off putting and we wondered if that was going to overtake our stay, we needn't have worried as the wedding guests were later moved along to the spa area where there are good sized function rooms and they did not impact on the main hotel where guests enjoyed evening meals in the restaurant.
Our room was in the main house on the top floor, one of the smaller rooms i think but well furnished, very comfortable, our only disappointment was the bathroom, this was incredibly small and a larger person may have found the bath difficult to use,was all very clean though and with the usual complimentary toiletries etc. Rooms refreshed each day and each evening beds turned down, trays refreshed and curtains drawn, lamps turned on for our return.
We ate in the restaurant on both our 2 night stay, there is only a table d'hote menu on offer, which we found very adequate with different choices available within the menu . We found the food very good, staff helpful and attentive and wine list not too expensive. Coffee and petit fours served in the lounge which is also very comfortable.
The spa is wonderful, didn't feel the need to have any of the treatments on offer, just enjoyed the swimming pool, outdoor jacuzzi (really lovely to sit in the outdoor hot tub whilst it was raining, not feeling cold, watching the rabbits on the lawns, heavenly) and the hydrotherapy room. But if the spa isn't your thing then the grounds are good to walk around too. You can walk through the woodland right down the the lakeside.
We really enjoyed our stay, even visited Trotters which we loved. This is a country house hotel furnished with old/antiquey style furniture some parts being similar to a National trust house ie snooker room (which even in middle of summer is a cold room, could do with some ambient heating in there) so for those who enjoy ultra modern, this isn't for you.
But it felt special for us and we enjoyed the atmosphere, there were families staying and the children seemed very welcome and were not shunned away from the dining room as in some hotels.
One comment i do feel needs to be said, is the corridoor down to the spa is very creaky and noisy, it seems almost impossible to walk down this passage in a quiet manner which must be very annoying for the people in rooms along there, so glad we didn't have one of those rooms.
Would thoroughly recommend Armathwaite hall to anyone who wants to be away from the hustle and bustle of places such as Windermere, this is an altogether quieter and nicer part of the lake district.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Armathwaite Hall Country House Hotel and Spa is a beautiful four red star 17th-century former stately home situated near to Keswick on the shores of Bassenthwaite Lake. The hotel and spa is private owned and features forty six bedrooms of individual character from stylish spa bedrooms to the luxury of studio suites with stunning lake views. The rosette fine dining Lake View Restaurant serves table d’hote lunches and dinners in elegant surroundings to both residents and non resident guests. The Courtyard Bar and Brasserie is a stylish modern alternative serving meals in a relaxed atmosphere. Afternoon teas are served daily and are a great way to celebrate with family and friends. Licensed to hold civil ceremonies for romantic weddings up to 150 guests. The award winning spa, offers the best in facilities from the 16 meter infinity edge pool to the luxurious outdoor spa pool, thermal suite and life fitness gym. Ten treatment rooms including a double treatment room offer relaxing and soothing treatments to guests, day spa and members. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel Bassenthwaite
- Armathwaite Hall Keswick
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel Keswick
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa Bassenthwaite, Keswick, Lake District