“JEFFERSON YOU ARE A STAR”

Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Holmrook, United Kingdom
“JEFFERSON YOU ARE A STAR”
Reviewed 18 October 2010

My sister and I stayed at this wonderful hotel for the 2nd time this year. We got upgraded to a lovely room with a sitting area in the spa wing. The room and decor suits the hotel and the beds were lovely and comfortable.

We had lunch in the brasserie and two wonderful treatments in the fabulous spa and chilled out in my favourite part which is the quiet room. Only downside is when the staff are tidying up in here maybe they could be less noisy and the door does slam when entering and leaving but other than that it is lovely and relaxing.

The highlight of our stay was our meal in the evening in the brasserie, we did book for the main restaurant but having had a large lunch we decided that we couldn't eat such a big meal so opted for the brasserie and thank god we did. Jefferson is a star, we had such fun with him during the course of the evening, his customer service skills are excellent and he certainly exceeded our expectations. We couldn't decide on the wine so he gave us a taster session in between entertaining us with tales, he is a lovely guy and a credit to Caroline and the team who were all lovely.

All in all a wonderful stay yet again, we shall return. The gift vouchers are a great present for a loved one for birthdays, xmas or just as a treat.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Great old country house with friendly and helpful staff, particularly Lorraine, Allison, Gabriel, Cosmin Claire in the spa and just about everyone! Marvellous surroundings both in and out of the house, picturesque setting, great food. It may not be cheap but you don't expect this quality of hotel to be, but it is worth the experience of the stay. We were there with friends for a quiet wedding and the time could not have been made more special by the staff or more romantic by the location.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2010

For a special birthday I booked 2 nights, OMG what a mistake! The room was miss-matched furniture with a lovely view of the kitchen area and roof top. Having payed £520 for the privilege, on first impressions the Hotel looks very quaint like an old manor house, the very long narrow corridor leading to the spa, passing function rooms on the way, made you feel like you were entering another hotel.
The dining experience was something like I never experienced before, as I was not old enough in the 70's to have seen a hostess trolley in all its glory.
No wonder they are not see today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The staff tried to present the starter, smoked salmon and king prawns, (still FROZEN prawns and packaged salmon). When politely mentioning to the waiter (an Italian gentleman of later years) that this was not acceptable, he told me the prawns were marinated the same as the salmon. While trying to discuss this, the waiter turned his back on me and walked away, leaving me rather annoyed.
H'oderves consisted of bombay mix and cheap olives.
The second night we didn't want any of the starters on offer on the set menu, talking again to the italian gentleman, we agreed on a compromise, which I must say were fantastic.
Overall the Hotel was satisfactory, but not good.
We stayed at another Country Manor House last week in Troutbeck, what a comparison,
you can forgive small things, like the walk to the spa. But to me when it comes to quality food and good staff, there should be no compromise.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank stuthefridge
GMsteele, General Manager at Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 October 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your contribution and feedback on the Tripadvisor website. As with all constructive criticism, I do hope you will allow the hotel to defend itself as we are quite passionate about ‘...getting it right’.

Clearly I was very disappointed to read the various comments you made and whilst I do realise that apologies after the event do little to make amends, I do hope you will accept mine and that of the team at Armathwaite.

With reference to your comments on your bedroom, we do strive to ensure that all of our guests are comfortable, however I do apologise that the condition of the room was not as you would have hoped for. To ensure that we are constantly improving standards, I would like to inform you that the bedroom you stayed in was in fact a newly refurbished one of which we have lately received many compliments. On ‘the view’, I do concede that “...it could be better!” however I would state that the price you paid does not just include the bedroom; it includes the grandeur of the lounges and public areas, a multi million pound Spa facility in addition to some of the most attractive views in our part of the world. More importantly we do hope that this is consistently reinforced with natural hospitality and great service.

I would like to give you my personal assurances that what you experienced in the Restaurant, notably the food and service is not indicative of the standards we strive for. I have spoken to the Restaurant Manager and Head Chef and of course they too mirror my apology. All I will say is that we would never use and never have used ‘frozen products’ as you describe.

In response to your comments on the ‘H’orderves’, I am sorry that’s what you felt they were... We take on board your feedback and maybe we should consider upgrading our ‘Bar nibbles’ in the future. Rest assured however that the snacks and olives are of a high quality.

In reference to your ‘...seventies experience’, I would like to refute those comments. Yes, ‘flambé’ service within fine dining restaurants was in fact a ‘very seventies thing’ all over the world, but as with the proverbial ‘classic Prawn Cocktail’, it’s made a comeback..! From consistent guest feedback we find that with both our fresh ‘roast meat’ served each evening and the flambé choice of two dishes so popular, we would be foolish to take this away. Some people like simple food and all I can say is that as luxury hoteliers, we are in the business to provide it..!

Finally may I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time and trouble to write as it is only by receiving constructive feedback such as yours that we can strive to improve the service and standards we offer.
London
Reviewed 7 October 2010

After 5 nights spent at the Armathwaite Hall country house hotel I can state, without any hesitation, that I have nothing but praise for this fine establishment. This is a splendid 4 star hotel coupled with a fantastic 5 star spa.
Upon arrival we were upgraded, free of charge, from a deluxe room to a suite with view on the lake. No doubt that this made our stay even more pleasant as the suite has access to its very own tower! As is customary with country house hotels, Armathwaite Hall rooms have an old charm to them. You either like it or not; we did. We also found the bed very good (suitably firm, but not too hard) and enjoyed great quality of sleep. On the down side, there are no safe or air-conditioning, which probably explains why this hotel is still stuck at 4-star. But this was not a major issue for us. Our bathroom had both shower and bath tub, all equipped with massage jet sprays (nice but not useful when you have that great spa at hand).
We dined several times at the main formal restaurant and found the food (classic French cuisine using local ingredients) to be excellent and varied (I prefer classic cuisine to fusion/modern cusine but it's just my taste). The brasserie also offers some very nice popular dishes, always well presented and far more tastier than your average pub grub. Finally, the breakfast, without being out of this world is solid and varied enough; it covers the essentials from English and continental breakfast. In all cases, we found the main restaurant/brasserie staff to be very polite, professional, helpful and friendly. The public rooms are also very relaxing, well maintained and add to the experience.
The spa at Armathwaite Hall hotel is one of the best we have been to, if not the best. The facilities are modern, clean and well maintained. The thermal suite and the outdoor hot tub are extremely pleasant. The gym room is also very well equiped with modern machines. For our family, it was also important that our 2-year old child has access to the pool. Kids are allowed at specific times only, but don't worry that still gives plenty of time for them to burn their energy. My wife and I found the spa treatments to be exquisite and fairly priced (the list of treatments available is impressive too). Some of the therapists were friendlier than others but all were competent.
Of course, no review of this place would be complete without a special mention of the location, lake district. The hotel has a view to Lake Bassenthwaite and its surrounding mountains. The country house gardens are well maintained and make the place even more relaxing. It's also worth noting that hotel residents have free access to the zoo next door, which is great for kids.
Now there were some down sides too. As I said above, no safe and no air-con. The lack of air-con is not an issue for autumn/winter seasons. The lack of safe in the room is a bit more annoying. On Saturday night, there was some noise until around 10pm~11pm. We were fortunate to be on the second floor and I think other guests with a room nearer to that loud party must have been far more disturbed. We also noticed that the place gets more crowded on week-ends as locals use the restaurant/spa facilities (inc. wedding ceremonies). My advice for spa-breakers is therefore to stay during the week. Also, I found the selection of cognac and whisky at the bar to be poor (the wine list is much more impressive).

Overall, Armathwaite Hall is a great place which I heartily recommend, a luxry hotel-spa combo that is really family friendly and relaxing.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Froggy76
shropshire, england
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Staye d at Armathwaite for our honeymoon immediately following our wedding in August. We had booked the Tower suite, their mostexpensive room but were woefully let down by their service. On check in I asked for a vase to put my bouquet in. I was assured this would be sent up immediately. On entering the room we noticed several large spiders; the room had an air of not being used for a while and was musty. the bathroom was very dated with an 80s style sunked bath surrounded by unhygenic carpet. upstairs balcony was unuseable due to the smells up there which smelt like sewage. no idea where that was coming from. in our room was some champagne. how nice! we thought they made a note that it was our honeymoon. dinner time arrived. still no vase so i asked again. again promised it would be sent up. paying £400 a night i dont think it was too much to ask just to get a vase. still had not arrived when we went to bed. my gorgeous bouquet was starting to wilt :( next day we received an embarrasing phonecall from my father in law. my sister in law had not been thanked for the champagne she had sent and the personal message she had spent time composing! absoluetely livid with the hotel by now by not telling us who the champagne was from and letting us assume it was them!! disgusting. we went to query this and they had compeletly lost the note despite the man on reception being the very same the order had been placed with. not much by way of apology and could i please get a VASE! vase turned up the next day really had had enough by now. we went to pay our bill. how nice they had put the price of the champagne on our bill with a - sign next to it to show it had been paid. probably not what my sister in law had attended. again not much of an apology. I wont be staying here again. if this is how they treat customers paying for top price rooms on what is their honeymoon i hate to think how they treat anyone else, very disappointing stay and the room was not worth £400!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shropshiregal82
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2010

My wife and I have just returned from a short break at this hotel which incorporated our wedding. We had a dinner bed and breakfast package for four people for two nights which was, in my opinion, nothing short of superb value.
The hotel itself is situated in the most beautiful surroundings and has the utmost character and charm. The accomodation falls into two categories in as much as there are rooms available in the original part of the building and also in a new wing. We have had the pleasure of experiencing both during two separate stays and have been extremely impressed on each occasions. Rooms are spacious and beautifully appointed, leaving the guest wanting for nothing. The beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever experienced and I have experienced many both at home and abroad.
The leisure facilities are a delight. The spa is immaculate, varied and extremely well maintained and real treat at the end of a hard days trek in the Lakes.
The restaurant has class, warmth and rustic charm whilst avoiding the 'stuffiness' that some top end hotels seem to promote. The food is plentiful, delicious and the menu is varied.
For me the backbone of a quality hotel is its staff. In this respect a visitor to Armathwaite Hall cannot fail to be impressed. Everyone we encountered was friendly, helpful, caring, efficient and superbly professional. These attributes served to consolidate the smooth running of our special day. Armathwaite Hall and it's staff will therefore have a special place in our lives and we look forward to our return with enthusiasm.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Spa was 5 star, the accommodation came in at a 3 star at best as it was shabby and need of a complete refit.

The standard room was £320 for the first night then £200 for each subsequent night as a midweek deal spa break with a bistro meal included, two 30 minute treatments which to use as a combined 1 hour treatment was allowed at a charge of £15 not sure why !

The room was very small and very tired looking, the bed had a nasty throw and matching canopy and the bathroom was in need of updating. The TV did not have proper reception and no wi-fi in the rooms.

The food was nice, the staff friendly throughout, however a bit on the austere side in the main dining room. For example we were served in the morning for breakfast by the same waiter from the evening before but did not show any recognition of remembering us and we had left a generous tip so a bit cold. Having said that the bistro staff were extremely warm and welcoming and seemed a lot more relaxed than in the main restaurant.

The spa and treatments were fantastic, the facilities indoors and outdoors modern and luxurious. The staff were great, friendly, and professional.

Overall the spa and food met and exceeded expectations, shame about the accommodation which did not match the high room rate charges even with the deal.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Under Skiddaw

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!