This is easily the best lunch in the Keswick area. I have not stayed in the hotel or eaten on an evening, so can't comment on that, but have eaten lunch on several occasions and it is consistently good. If it is warm, the garden is a lovely setting to eat. If not, the bar is the sort you rarely find these days, with an authentic feel. It is small though, with small tables, but now there is a more modern and airy bistro room (same menu). It is quite an upmarket place, with a calm and rural feel. Most recently we enjoyed excellent queenie scallops in gruyere sauce, fish cakes, linguini with crab and chilli. Twice cooked thick chips. Our daughter enjoyed plaice gujons and chips from children's menu. Fresh, more imaginative than bog standard pub menus, but without trying too hard to be 'modern'. They could maybe showcase more Cumbrian produce as do similar places of this kind in Cumbria ( George and Dragon, Clifton and Drunken Duck are comparable in a if you like those you will like this sort of way). We always enjoy it here though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dating back to the 17th century, this former haunt of the famous huntsman John Peel has been entertaining guests for the past 300 years in the traditional Cumbrian manner with stunning food and refreshment and good old fashioned values. With an abundance of unique period atmosphere and a sense of timelessness with the clever mix of luxurious, contemporary comforts provides The Pheasant a well deserved national and International reputation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your The Pheasant Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pheasant Hotel Bassenthwaite
- The Pheasant Inn Bassenthwaite/Keswick, Lake District