“You need a machete...”
Review of The Pheasant Inn

The Pheasant Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Reviewed 2 October 2013

...to reach the bar - the way is generally blocked by the local gentry who are usually incapable of sitting (even when all the seats are empty) or standing away from the bar to allow us mere visitors a chance to get served. The hotel boss is equally guilty of this practice. Perhaps it's the two bowls of "free" crisps on the bar that keeps these blokes (always blokes) in the way of service.
Once you've got their attention then there's a most reluctant slight shift to one side accompanied by some naff joke about having to get the pints in if you want serving. I've heard that one at least twice.

Come on chaps, show a little consideration.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Wainwright007
There are newer reviews for The Pheasant Inn

Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Pheasant was full so we couldn't stay here but had a meal in the restaurant last Friday. The food was superb, beautifully presented and every mouthful a taste bud hit. For various reasons I'm a dairy free vegetarian and mentioned this when we booked the table. To my astonishment I could choose from a menu made specially for me, the first time this has ever happened! Very friendly helpful staff. The only draw back is that the restaurant itself has no atmosphere which is unfortunate. The bar is a delight, a step back in time.

Room Tip: N/a hotel was full so we just had a meal in the restaurant
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We called in to the Pheasant at about 2.10pm on a Friday. We had been walking in the fells and wanted a sandwich and a pint.
At the bar my husband was advised that he couldn't run a tab as it was last orders, so he ordered 2 drinks and paid for them. We looked at the menu whilst waiting at the bar to be told that they had finished doing food in the bar at 2pm. We could go to the Bistro (but we only wanted a sandwich). We said we would just have a bag of crisps with our drinks, but they didn't do crisps!
So we settled down to our drinks. At about 2.25pm a "local" who had been seated at the bar ordered a pint and was served.... so much for last orders.
Overall the staff were miserable and unhelpful. Perhaps they don't want "passing" trade, they will not be getting ours again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have just returned from a week at the Pheasant which came highly recommended and certainly did not disappoint. The atmosphere was warm and friendly, locals and guests mingling in the bar; comfortable lounges; good food in both the bistro and the restaurant.

Our room (Applethwaite) was lovely - large, comfortable and well appointed - a delight to spend an hour or so pre-dinner in. Above all, the staff were superb - efficient, friendly and welcoming, nothing was too much trouble.

Highly recommended.

Jo Wymer

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Firstly I'm totally shocked to see some of the previous negative reviews as my experience was just lovely! Myself and partner visited The Pheasant last month for a relaxing weekend away which is exactly what we got and even more! The staff are very friendly but not intrusive and the food was just brilliant: good value, terrific taste and perfect presentation! If your looking for luxury relaxation then this is the place to be!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We used to drink at the Pheasant many years ago and so were highly relieved that the bar remains exactly the same as we remembered. The bistro seemed quite pleasant and lively and we enjoyed the informality of eating there. Our rooms were very comfortable and luxurious and my only request, as an unsteady elderly person, is that there might be a grab rail in the shower.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I have stayed and/or dined in the Lakes in places such as The Samling, Gilpin Lodge, Sharrow Bay and Holbeck Ghyl. The Pheasant at Bassenthwaite is up there with the best of them. It continues to provide a genuinely-warm welcome and unfussy service - and I have been a regular over the last ten years. In my most recent visit, I felt that the quality of food served in The Fell restaurant reached new heights. It was absolutely tantalising. And that bar! You would go some distance to find one with the same character or characters! I've seen quite a few developments taking place over the years in different places where I have stayed. The changes to The Pheasant haven't ruined its character, As far as I am concerned, it has certainly not gone down hill. Far from it. And The Pheasant always seem to attract new, smiling faces to greet you when you arrive and serve up the food and ale. Personally, I have yet to have a bad experience after over ten years. I particularly like the way restaurants have their own character and the fact that you get some peace and quiet in the residents dining room and that it doesn't have piped music. Each room - and I have stayed in a few - have there own character and atmosphere. I don't think there is a better place to relax and explore the Northern Lakes. A delight.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 5 in Bassenthwaite
Embleton Spa Hotel
Embleton Spa Hotel
#1 of 1 in Embleton

Been to The Pheasant Inn? Share your experiences!