We stayed here for a weekend break. The hotel was cosy and full of atmosphere with log fires burning in the lounge. Breakfast was well cooked and used local produce where possible. At night we ate in the Bistro rather than the more formal Fell Restaurant. The service was good and the food delicious. We ate early because we had a long drive and were hungry. This was a bit of a mistake as there were 3 families in with very young children so it was a bit like being in nursery. I would suggest eating later to have a quieter experience.
Our room was large, spacious and scrupulously clean. The bed was large and comfortable with good quality bedding. It overlooked the front of the hotel but the car park outside wasn't particularly noisy, and as the last cars had gone by 11.30 , sleeping was not a problem. The rooms at the rear of the hotel are quieter so if you are exceptionally noise averse go for one of those. We have stayed in Fellside (front) and Caldbeck(rear)- both were very pleasant.
The hotel is situated well away from the busy road so noise from there was not an issue. There was a nearby nature trail which was ideal for an after breakfast stroll. It is ideally placed for walking and visiting Keswick.
I think there is a rolling programme of redecoration taking place as some of the bedrooms are in need of a little TLC eg wallpaper lifting at the corners and a couple of chips out of the cast iron bath. If you are particularly fussy that may be an issue for you.
We didn't use the hotel bar so can't comment on its size or service .
All in all I found it a lovely experience and would recommend it to couples for a weekend break.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dating back to the 17th century, this former haunt of the famous huntsman John Peel has been entertaining guests for the past 300 years in the traditional Cumbrian manner with stunning food and refreshment and good old fashioned values. With an abundance of unique period atmosphere and a sense of timelessness with the clever mix of luxurious, contemporary comforts provides The Pheasant a well deserved national and International reputation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Pheasant Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pheasant Hotel Bassenthwaite
- The Pheasant Inn Bassenthwaite, Keswick, Lake District