The Pheasant isn't bad, it just isn't 'all that' and has the feel of somewhere trading on its past reputation. The place itself is lovely, but as a customer I hate that sense of somehow feeling I should be privileged to be there. I think £7.50 is a bit dear for an open, ie single slice of bread, sandwich, but would have been happy with that if the service and atmosphere had been a bit warmer. One member of staff assured us the soup would be vegetarian: thankfully another one decided to check, as it wasn't. We ordered food and drink for nine of us and asked for tap water as well. This didn't come and when I asked again, I was somewhat reluctantly given a bottle of water but no glasses, and had to go and get some, one of which was dirty and again, felt as if I was being done a huge favour when a clean one was provided, and as if I was making a fuss, which I absolutely wasn't - merely a polite request. The food was ok, nothing exceptional, and while it was lovely to see leaf tea it was stewed by the time it reached us. In sum, our visit was disappointing and as one of the teenagers commented 'underwhelming'. There are so many lovely places nearby that the Pheasant would do well not to rest on its laurels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dating back to the 17th century, this former haunt of the famous huntsman John Peel has been entertaining guests for the past 300 years in the traditional Cumbrian manner with stunning food and refreshment and good old fashioned values. With an abundance of unique period atmosphere and a sense of timelessness with the clever mix of luxurious, contemporary comforts provides The Pheasant a well deserved national and International reputation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Pheasant Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pheasant Hotel Bassenthwaite
- The Pheasant Inn Bassenthwaite/Keswick, Lake District