Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Leeds
“Overall ok”
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We stayed here on 21st May. We booked a family room, which we thought was very impressive. Only downside was the view out the window was of a scaffold platform with bits of building materials. Not really the view we anticipated! Although ,the decor was a bit dated I did think the bathroom was lovely, with a separate shower and bath and quite clean, although I did have to kill a rogue fly, for my 2 year olds benefit. The strange, out of place object in the bathroom was the hairdryer...looked as if it had been there since 1975 at least, and acted like it too. It was not adequate to dry my hair and when I requested if I could have an alternative hairdryer, the staff (although helpful) did not have one. They did suggest I could go in another room and use a more powerful one, but they were all the same models apparently! I chose eventually to use the one is the ladies changing rooms at the leisure part, in the end. Memo to self: must take own hairdryer in future!. Did not like the ladies changing facilties in the leisure area, smelled and looked as if it had seen better days and I don't think it is cleaned regularly, to be honest. It is such a shame because it lets down the swimming pool, and spa area so much. I really think this facility is excellent. The main restaurant is overpriced and the menu detail suggests you're in for a real treat. Don't be fooled by the jargon...it is not that great; certainly not up to expectation or worth what they're charging. Breakfast was ok, nothing fabulous. I will say though, that the staff were lovely, very helpful and friendly. Sometimes, it is worth paying extra (even if some areas fall short) for this very rare thing, almost unknown in this country - good customer service.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I have read your comments and I would like to say a big thank you for the excellent feedback you gave us regarding the staff. With the refurbishment work, I am sorry for the inconvenient. We are now at the final stage of the building work and we collaborate closely with our contractor to avoid disturbance for our guest. The end result will be fantastic and we all look forward to show our brand new hotel entrance to everyone very soon.
We have taken on-board your comment about hair dryer and we are now happy to provide spare one if needed. Also chef is writing a new menu for the summer with some “old favourites” and local dishes, he promises me it would be a success and the price will be very attractive as well.
Finally, We are changing the ventilation unit in the leisure changing room and the all leisure center is schedule a revamp in the near future.
Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to see you at the Castle Inn again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2011

My first impression of this hotel was that it was plonked at the side of a road in the middle of nowhere. Unless you're a walker (which I'm not) it's not the best of locations as Keswick is about a 15 mile round trip. We stayed in room 134, which is HUGE..it has a lovely big four poster bed and separate seating area. The decor was not to my own personal taste as it is quite old-fashioned, though some people will love this about it. The bathroom was in complete contrast and lovely and contemporary, with a trendy sink and stand-alone bath - much more up my street.

Breakfast was nice with plenty of choice. We didn't eat in the restaurant but it looked very boring. The bar area was much more modern with a nicer atmosphere, though the food there was very average and sounded a better in the menu than it actually was.

Our favourite bit of the hotel was probably the spa..lovely! Staff were also lovely, polite, and willing to help.

Overall, I would probably say that the feel and atmosphere of this hotel are more suited to older guests, rather than a young couple like my husband and I.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank KellyAshton
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Our two four poster suites are very popular with our guests, we decided on a more traditional style of décor for the bedroom but still adding up to date technology (IPod docking station, two flat screen free view TV…). All our bathroom however have been refurbished within the last three years and are indeed more contemporary in design. I have shared your feedback with our head chef and taking your points on-board we are putting together a brand new menu who we hope will be pleasing our customers this summer. Finally, thank you for the kind words you had for the staff, I will make sure your review is shown to all of them. Best regards.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Booked as a 'special weekend' ... we had a series of disappointments at this hotel. Booked suite which wasn't a suite ( half height partition behind bedhead ) only to find another man already installed on the bed on entry. One bathrobe & one bath towel between two guests is taking environmental concerns too far. Shower function was limited and in need of repair. Restaurant lacked atmosphere Sat night (almost empty) food mediocre, prices high, breakfast standard fare nothing more.
Good location for northern lakes but overpriced and over hyped... with staff not overly concerned. Not up to Best Western or 4 Star standards.

Room Tip: do not book a suite
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your review. I will most certainly be sharing it with the team. Honest feedback is hugely important to us and I am obviously disappointed that you were not wholly satisfied with the hotel. Thanks again for taking the time to post your thoughts
Buckingham
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We stayed for four nights using the Tesco Clubcard scheme.The breakfast was excellent and the hotel service was of high quality.It is a good base for touring around this part of the Lake District

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tony2mayston
Thank you for your comment. I believe we are the only hotel in the Lake District to use the Tesco club card scheme and I am pleased you took advantage of it and enjoyed your stay.
Bolton
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We stayed as guests for a wedding. The rooms were well furnished & bathroom spacious & modern. Staff were good, swimming pool & jacuzzi good & plenty of car park space. Had to pay full price for room because of wedding - could have hired a holiday home cheaper!
Only minor grumble about the wedding meal - meat was tough - otherwise it was a great weekend. Two good pubs nearby - The Sun in Bassenthwaite village 1 mile away (need to book dinner in advance) & Greyhound (5miles) towards Aspatria.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Jay_and_Elle99
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you for your kind words, I am please you had a great weekend and enjoyed our facilities. The entire team at the castle are happy all went well for the bride and groom, again, congratulation to the happy couple and thank you for choosing to celebrate the special day with us.
I also appreciate your comment about the meat being a bit tough for your liking; I have passed on the feedback to chef.
Northallerton
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Myself and my wife decided on a two night break in the Lake District in late April 2011.
We booked two different places for accommodation the first was the Castle Inn.
On arrival our first impression was favourable, the location was very pleasant and the hotel looked welcoming and had a "quality" feel about it.
Check in staff were smart, friendly and helpful.
Our room was large and spacious, and all fixtures and fittings were tasteful and very well maintained.
Many a night in a hotel has been spoilt by an uncomfortable or small bed - NOT HERE
the bed was large and comfortable, this coupled with the excellent soundproofing gave probably the best nights sleep I have had in a hotel.
The bar and lounge areas which include a conservatory and well kept gardens are all comfortable and tasteful, and the bar staff are all excellent, particularly a young Australian chap who was happy to chat and interact with customers whilst still performing bar duties as required.
Food was good and service was prompt.
We had access to (and used) a swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room all of which were excellent, and when you consider that the cost of staying at the Castle Inn is no more than many other hotel/pubs this is a little touch of luxury.
My only regret was that our second night was already booked elsewhere, I wish we had booked our second night at the Castle Inn.
We will definitely be returning as soon as possible.
Oh.. there was also free wi fi available and a gym.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kaibolton
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us at the castle inn. What a fantastic feedback, the team and myself were delighted to read it! A big thank you from us to you, and Josh, the young Australian, really appreciate the personal mention.
We are looking forward to welcome you again soon. Again, thank you for putting in writing how you felt about us.
Cupar Fife
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We stayed three days at the Castle Inn and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. All the staff are truly hospitable from the receptionists, restaurant, leisure centre to the superb service in the bar where Zach worked with a friendly attitude towards his customers and service of both food and drink. The standard of food was really very good and we had a varied choice of meals from the menu in the bar area and superb breakfasts. The pool is of a good size with a lovely outlook onto the gardens. Situated about seven miles from Keswick this is a perfect base for exploring. A tremendous place, a few miles away, for food is the Pheasant Inn hotel we had a beautiful lunch there.Take plenty change when visiting the area as there are metered parking charges in each town.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wyandour
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
Thank you for your fantastic review, I have shared your feedback with the team and congratulated Zach on the personal mention. I am pleased you enjoyed the food and the facilities we have to offer. I also wanted to remind our guest that the public buses are stopping right in front of our hotel, they are a great way to visit the area and save you the trouble of metered parking. I look forward to seeing you again soon at the Castle.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 5 in Bassenthwaite
Embleton Spa Hotel
Embleton Spa Hotel
#1 of 1 in Embleton

Been to Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!