Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
The Pheasant Inn(Bassenthwaite)
US$223
Hotels.com
US$251
Lyzzick Hall Hotel(Under Skiddaw)
US$211
Agoda.com
US$188
US$230
Ravenstone Lodge Hotel(Bassenthwaite)
  • Bar/Lounge
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsexecutive roomleisure facilitiestable tennissauna and steam roomswimming poolbar mealslake districtgames roomlovely hotelgood sizefamily roomfour poster bedlarge roomlounge areaan upgradeenjoyable stayhigh standard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We have just returned from the Castle Inn on the outskirts of Keswick for a weekend break and feel totally relaxed. The reception staffs were extremely professional and provided a detailed description of the hotel facilities and areas that would be of interest. They also explained the layout of the hotel and how to get about.

Our room was furnished to a very high standard with a extremely large double bed and modern bathroom. After dropping off our luggage we decided to take a walk around and It wasn’t long before we noticed the lack of structure to the interior design of the new extensions; it almost felt like no thought had gone into the planning on how the new layout was going to work. There were lots of areas with empty spaces and a number of bland corridors which I`m sure with a little more artwork and plants could have helped improved the look and brought the old back to the new.

However, this is not a criticism of this hotel, but a mere observation of an improvement that could change the cold look. Overall I would have no hesitation in returning here or recommending to a friend. So well done Best Western and thank you for a lovely weekend.

P Anderson Jarrow

Room Tip: The room faced out onto the court yard with a lovely view of the water feature
1  Thank Pamela A
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear Mrs. Anderson Jarrow,
Many thanks for the review, i have passed on your kind words to our reception staff, again much appreciated.
Kindest regards.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

After reviewing the photo's and location i booked the hotel. My wife and I are/where doing a road trip, so thought the location would be good. On arrival, we were allocated a room , that you had to access by various sets of stairs, my wife has issues with stairs, no lift. We eventually got to the room, only to find that it was very small, I went down stairs to see if there was a larger one, there was but would cost an extra £15 a night, which I paid. I got to this room, stairs yet again, but a few less. The room was "slightly larger", not £15 larger though. That evening we went down to the bar to have an evening meal, the menu was a bit lacking, the price of the drink was expensive, we decided in the end to go to Keswick to eat, much more choice. The following day we decided we would cancel the 2nd night that I had booked. I went to recption, the receptionist said i would have to pay for the second night, i pointed out the cancellation policy, she said I would have to contact late rooms, which I did. they phoned the hotel. I went back to reception, who phoned upstairs, and found the room cancelled, I asked why she couldn't do that, she muttered something about commission. From this attitude alone, I won't go back to this hotel. The size of the rooms leaves a great deal to be desired, for the monies you are paying. The staff could do with further development in customer relations. i wouldn't recomend this hotel.

Room Tip: if you like the small rooms, and receptionists with atttiude, and don't expect any monies back if you have/or want to cancel, go here!!
2  Thank kevin o
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2012

Dear Kevin,
i am sorry to hear about the negative experience you had while staying with us.
If you wish to contact me directly i would be very happy to talk to you about your stay, i am not sure i understand what you mean by menu lacking, we have two dinning option and offer various menu with a total of more or less 20 main course. Also, i'll be happy to develop on the situation about your cancellation and booking with third party website.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2012

My girlfriend & and stayed I stayed at The Castle Inn for the 3rd time Sat 9th & Sun 10th June. For us it is the perfect base for a weekend getaway in the Lakes, and as it was an anniversary, we were thrilled when we were given an upgrade to a lovely, spacious room with a four poster bed.
Due to the rain, we couldn’t take advantage of the lawn tennis court or putting green upon arrival, and so headed inside to the well equipped gym. After that we slipped into the lovely warm pool which we had to ourselves, as did we the sauna & steam room. So relaxing.
We ate a very tasty evening meal in the bar together with a few hard earned beers before a competitive game of scrabble. One of the things I love about The Castle Inn is the relaxed ambience, and being set in such an idyllic location, it is easy to unwind and forget about the stresses of day to day life.
After a hearty breakfast the following morning , we headed up into the mountains, climbing Great Gable for views across the Lake District that only those who climb such mountains on a sunny day will appreciate.
One cannot adequately describe the immense pleasure of then returning to The Castle Inn, collapsing into the swimming pool, and then warming the exhausted leg muscles in the steam room & sauna. For the Sunday we took advantage of the £55 per person dinner, bed & breakfast offer, and had another lovely meal, this time in the restaurant. We slept well that night!
Continuing investment into The Castle Inn satisfies me that rather than sitting back and resting on their laurels, the owners are conscious of the demands of customers and continue to improve and update.
I note a previous reviewer made mention of having trouble understanding some non-British members of staff.? Being conscious of the presence of some Scottish, Welsh, and Geordie customers, we actually found it easier to understand the staff than my fellow customers!
The Castle Inn is everything that we want when we go away for such weekends. The location is perfect as a base with splendid views. It is clean, it is warm, the rooms are lovely, it is tastefully decorated and has great facilities. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the food is good. For us there is also that important feel of being relaxed, comfortable and at ease. Maybe we will see you there in the future, because we will definitely be returning.

5  Thank Yorkie054

Great review, Thank you for you warm, detailed feedback. Comments on this website are always very personal, and it is fantastic to see that, on this occasion, we got it 100% right.
We look forward to welcoming you back again and again at the hotel.
Kindest regards.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

This is the first time I have reviewed a hotel to display my findings for a hotel but felt it nessacery after our stay with The Castle Inn as £695 is not a small amount of money in today's current climate.

We stayed at the Castle Inn as a family for a four night break over the Queen's Jubilee week. We were allocated room 40 which was at the top of the hotel in the attic space, a very warm room but with windows that can be opened and a fan that was also available for use if required. I booked this hotel after careful research to ensure my family would enjoy their time in the lakes. If you book this hotel from the pictures on the main website then you could be disappointed if you are allocated this room.
The hotel claims it has now completed the refurbishment of all its rooms, I feel that room 40 may have been missed? The bathroom is VERY small and with mould growing on the shower ceiling and around the sealant of the cubicle this is NOT 4 star standard.

My wife spotted a stain on the base of the bed, it could be blood but I was not willing to find out. The bed itself seemed to be a little on the worn side, no headboard (unlike the website room pics), the mattress felt tired and it was not a SEALY bed as stated on the website. This put my wife off so I nipped down to reception to see if a room change was possible. I was told the hotel was fully booked and too much moving around would be required so no room change was available. Again NOT 4 star standard. The room carpets, decor and general cleanliness were also NOT 4 star standard
Watch out for the sharp metal bits sticking out of the near bedside cabinet drawer front next to the main bed, 5 in total.

Moving onto the public areas, the 'flow' of the hotel is quite disjointed but some may call this quirky. The hotel booklet explains they are going to begin a complete update of the public areas, this needs to begin sooner rather than later. Tired looking furniture etc do let the areas down.

Food. The breakfast was just average and edible and at £14.95 each if you were paying for it seperately would score a low 3 out of 10, I have had a better English breakfast in Greece or Spain. The white plates, bowels etc are all also ready for replacement, dishwasher staining and wear is very obvious.

We opted to have an evening meal on our second night after a long day out walking. Again the food was a little disappointing. My meal was ordered from the 'specials' board and was a butterfly chicken breast served with a rasher of bacon, on a bed of cheesy mash with a smokey sauce and veg. The chicken was fine as was the veg(peas) but using instant mash in a 4 star hotel, REALLY? My daughter opted for the pasta in sauce from the children's menu, again it was ok but the sauce content in the bowel was probably 75% to 25% pasta.

Drinks at the bar are also well above the sensible rate, for example a can of Coke or 7up for the children at £2. a glass of wine (250ml) at £6.50+. Quite expensive but I guess it is because the hotel has the 4 star rating?

Staff members are pleasant, especially the team that work the bar area, they are very busy but always have time to answer any questions you may have.

I am sure this review will initiate a response from the hotel manager, it would be nice to see a positive one unlike some of the other comments to other reviews that have been resonded to.
I have been honest in my review and hopefully it proves to be worthwhile for others and the hotel management to take on board and act on paying customers findings.

Very average and at the moment it is NOT a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Keith_Ang

Dear Keith_Ang,
Thank you for your review, i have find it very interesting and shared it with the team. Without doubt it raise some important points and we are currently looking into it. However, it is unfortunate that during your four nights at the hotel, you decided not to speak to myself or any of the duty managers about the issues you had.
Kind regards.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

We have just returned from a four night stay here and wanted to comment on here about how much we loved it. It sounds like a cliche but everything from the staff right down to the hash browns at breakfast was just spot on. A special mention has to go to the reception staff, Jennie in particular, who went above and beyond to accommodate us for an extra nights stay in order for us to complete a marriage residency.
The whole stay was relaxing, comfortable and value for money. Walking into the Castle Inn after a four night stay at a Travelodge was very, very welcoming indeed! Well done to everyone at the Best Western Plus.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank redang187069
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Great feedback,
Thank you for kind words regarding the hotel and our staff, also, i have passed on your special mention to Jennie and the team at reception.
Again, thank you, it is much appreciated.