Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Newcastle
“Leisure dismal”
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Returned once again to this hotel which purports to have a leisure club. Let me tell you there no longer is a jacuzzi and the steam room room is still not working despite promises from the owner that it would be fixed.

Empty words: you still wait 10 minutes for steam and when it eventually does arrive it cooks you.
No use complaining, nothing gets done. Even Best Western don't give a fig. I know, I've written to them but they aren't bothered.

If you like a hotel with leisure facilities, forget this one - go elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wainwright007
CastleinnDirector, Owner at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2012
Dear Wainwright007

Thank you for your recent review.

As you are a Leisure Club member I already know that you have been upset with us because we do not have a Jacuzzi anymore, as mentioned in my letter to you in August. Again, we are really sorry for your disappointment but I would like to draw your attention the many fantastic facilities that we still offer. 15 metre swimming pool, sauna, steam room (that does work), well equiped gym, tennis court and putting green.

Peter.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Just returned from a 6 day stay at the Castle Inn. There was a problem with the room we had booked in advance (we had stayed before in this room) there was no fridge. James the manager sorted it within 10 minutes. ALL the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast are excellent and there is a good choice, we ate in the bar most evenings and again the food was excellent and the service of a high standard. We would not hesitate to recommend or indeed return to this hotel.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Taiho1
Dear Guest

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and glad that James managed to resolve the issue with the fridge. But I know that we have now moved all of our fridges into the Suites and Four Poster Rooms, so this is where the issue may have arisen.

We all look forward to seeing you again.

Uttoxeter
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I wouldn't usually review a sandwich but on this occassion it's definitely worth the time. We stopped here on route for a snack and we were greeted by a lovely warm welcome, a big comfy sofa, very clean surroundings and a wide selection of food choices. We decided on a sandwich which came with homemade crisps a large salad and a choice of brown or white; I opted for the ham which was thickly cut and not plastic, my partner had the chicken which was also plentiful - both were excellent, the bread was lovely and fresh and we didn't have to wait long - 5 minutes and the smiling bar man brought our food to the table. I would certainly stop here again if I were passing.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review regarding our sandwiches. As you mentioned, Chef makes his own crisps, we use fresh thick sliced bloomer bread and local ingredients to fill our sandwiches!

We appreciate this feedback especially Paul my Bar Supervisor who served you and Neil my Head Chef. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future to sample more of our delights!

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stayed at the Castle on Friday and Saturday night. I have to say we were very pleased with our stay. The room was lovely clean etc. The bar meals and breakfasts we had were excellent. The staff were all very helpful, polite and welcoming.
We would definately stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Maurice M

Thank you for your feedback. My team always work hard to ensure that we deliver memorable experiences to all our guests and it much appreciated to see positive feedback from our guests. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Scone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Enjoyed 4 nights in this lovely comfortable hotel where we had a room overlooking Bassenthwaite Lake. Staff were all excellent and service was great. We ate in both the restaurant and bar and the food was very good but we felt the bar meals were better value.
Facilities are excellent and there are plenty of lounges with comfortable chairs and sofas.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words and feedback. I will ensure that my team reads your review and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

very nice location rooms are nice. Food is TERRIBLE, sat for dinner food arrived after 70 minutes after I shouted at the waiter, food is very bland, cooking standard are below average very bad presentation. Breakfast was average, but again mushrooms out of a tin, bacon not cooked properly and the buffet was lacking any type of cheese. My advice go there but try not to eat there

Room Tip: Family rooms are big enough
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank thepharo543
Dear Guest

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment during your stay with us. We have taken your feedback seriously and I have spoken to the teams responsible to ensure that this does not happen again.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I do hope that you will try us again in the future.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

After yet another magnificent stay at the Castle Inn Hotel, I would like to pass on my thanks and appreciation to the staff. My fiancée and I love coming here. This time we stayed in one of the lovely four-poster rooms which was perfect for our romantic break. (They've even thought about the location of the tv so you can watch it it bed! Genius!) The staff are friendly and no task is too big or too small, the food in both the bar and the restaurant are terrific and really reasonably priced and the hotel itself has a beautiful location. The reception area is now in a different location so they now offer a lovely lounge to snuggle up and read a book. The bar area is cosy with the fire, and the rest of the hotel has enough space to breath, so if its busy, you can still escape the rest of the patrons. (I think this is the best part about this place!)
I look forward to the next time we come to visit. This time, I might even go for a swim!

Room Tip: Not every room has a view of the lake, so if you're particular looking to wake up with that view...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
CastleinnDirector, Owner at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Dear Kimlikestotravel
Thank you for your recent kind words about our hotel. We always endeavour to ensure that we meet and surpass our guest expectations. I have passed your kind words onto to the team here at the hotel and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

PLWells.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 5 in Bassenthwaite
Embleton Spa Hotel
Embleton Spa Hotel
#1 of 1 in Embleton

Been to Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!