Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Spotless Hotel”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Just sent Christmas at the Castle Inn, and cannot remember a cleaner hotel. From crisp clean sheets on the bed, gleaming crockery and cutlery at each meal and a dazzling bathroom, everywhere was spotless. Add to this some excellent food, great location and cask ale for £3 a pint and you would be hard pushed to find better value for money at this or any other time of year, excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
pleewells, Owner at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Guest

We are really pleased to read your positive comments on Tripadvisor. We also thank you for spending your Christmas at our hotel. The team work really hard to ensure the hotel is always kept clean and well maintained.

I am also pleased to read that you sampled our ales, we offer local brewer Heskett New Market beer and Theakstons all for £3 per pint, which I think is great value.

Thank you once again and we all are looking forward to seeing you again at the hotel.

Peter.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Uttoxeter
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Just spent 3 nights here over Christmas. Absolutely first class hotel in a beautiful location. Lovely swimming pool - decent size too.
The hotel was spotlessly clean. The food was excellent with a really good choice - breakfasts to die for,
But above all the staff were friendly, efficient, professional. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
Most especially the restaurant staff were superb.
Throughout our say Paul French and his team made sure that we enjoyed every minute of our stay.
This was not our first Christmas away from home, but was the first that we spent in a hotel; and what a great experience it proved to be.
So, a huge 'thank you' to everyone involved at the Castle Inn - it was a joy to be with you at this special time of the year.
We cannot recommend this hotel too highly - superlative in all respects!

Room Tip: Choose a suite -0 well worth the little extra!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarikaUttoxeter
Dear Guest

Thank you for recent feedback on Tripadvisor. The whole team take a huge pride in ensuring all guests have a fantastic stay with us. I will also pass on your kind words regarding Paul French my Deputy, who I know will be pleased to see this feedback.

Many thanks once gain and we all look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

cumbria
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My company booked a christmas party night, I didn't stay over at the hotel and so my review is of the food and atmosphere which I thought was pretty poor and uninspiring.

I'm leaving a review because I was so disappointed, Ive been to weddings here before and its been great, but no so tonight. Perhaps they need a change of chef or if its the manager whos insisted on this sad menu/pricing then manager needs to be less focused on low cost high profit and more on quality and respect for those eating the food! We are not fools. I suspect most people there could have cooked nicer more lovingly prepared food at home. I had pork terrine, cold and tasteless, then a turkey dinner which came fully plated up dished out without much care, gravy already on and with bought in prepacked veg..... but the main point being that there was just no taste at all. No extras brought to the table.Then cheesecake, just tasteless cream on soggy crumb base. Quite an achievement to serve up 3 courses so very bland.

The atmosphere was poor also. Over dinner the service was watched over closely by a manager keen get everyone fed quickly, which they achieved, but it ended up like a free for all with waiting staff emerging with panicked looks and saying "soup", "turkey", "cheesecake" and then diners shouting "here, over here" and that's how service went. I think it may work better to have staff dedicated to tables rather then dedicated to the dish - one doing soup, one doing terrine etc and no one apart from the the overseeing manager, who did seem very dedicated checking that each table was fully served. Lastly The DJ ..... gosh.... well he seemed to be asleep during the meal, literally eyes closed up on stage, dozing, poor chap looked very bored and had no rapport or attempt to create an atmosphere by introducing tables or making a few jokes or even welcoming people when his time came!

All in all a Straaaange night. Please do better, you know you can!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 10diamonds
Dear Guest

I am really sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your Christmas Party with us recently. Particularly as my Conference & Events Manager spoke to the organiser from your company and they had told us that everyone did enjoy themselves.

If you would like to contact me direct and I would be happy to discuss your points raised.

Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a nice weekend away and it was just what we had imagined!! And more!! The staff were so welcoming and could not do enough for you. Our meals on both nights were delicious and we tried bar and restaurant!! The menus were very different but the standard didn't differ - wonderful food and atmosphere with all the candles everywhere and Christmas carols! The weather wasn't the best but the views were spectacular!!! Thoroughly enjoyable...will definitely be visiting again!!!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank jesssm
Dear Guest

Thank you for review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your positive feedback and are really pleased that you enjoyed weekend away.

The Lake District and the hotel is lovely at Christmas time, warming fire, good food and fantastic decorations, the only thing we couldn't organise was snow!

We look forward to welcoming you again to the hotel in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 2 nights here for our anniversary. Booked a suite which was lovely and had a fantastic bathroom complete with separate shower and double ended bath. There was also 2 sofas in the room and 2 tvs. Excellent and a great start. The food at the bar attached to the hotel was very good.

The first night the hotel had a Christmas party which wasn't mentioned when we booked and if the potential extra noise from the party and guests had been we would have booked somewhere else.
So at around 1:30am quite a number of guests came back to their room and were very noisy. In all fairness I got up and told them to be quiet and after that they were.
At 5am we received a phone call waking us up from the night porter asking if we were playing loud music. When I said no and that ringing us was the wrong thing to do he said he'd jad a repprt we were playing music so I said I would speak to his manager in the morning. He said I was welcome to. 5 minutes later I heard the night porter in the corridor shouting "Hello". I went out and he clearly saw he'd made a mistake but just said he was told it was us.

On speaking with the manager the next day he offered us drinks to make up for it. I thought it a bit pathetic. We don't drink but said we'd had dinner there the night before and asked he paid for that. Other hotels would have refunded the night so this was a compromise.

The second night went without incident but when I checked out I saw only £17.95 of the £34 bill had been paid. That wasn't even the price of our main courses.
That caused me to complain again. A different manager saw us and said he would get the general manager to call that day. I received a message later saying he will call on Wednesday.

Pity... I have had to complain twice already and will do so a third time if I receive the call. I did say to the manager I spoke to that you had the opportunity to make it up to us. Pity you haven't taken it.

Shame on you best western. Our only weekend away alone from the children all year in your most expensive room. I expected better :(

I will update with the outcome.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
pleewells, Owner at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Guest

As we have spoken to you already and apologised deeply for this regrettable incident and compensated you for this issue, I feel it is deeply regrettable that you then threatened my receptionist that if we did not give you further compensation you would put a scathing review on Tripadvisor. Well thank you for this! But we certainly do not rise to threats. We are a AA accredited 4 star hotel with 4 star service as you will ascertain by the many fantastic comments we receive on this review website from our happy guests.

Redcar
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Just enjoyed a Tesco Clubcard stay in this hotel. We took our dogs and so had room 17 which had access via patio doors to walk the dogs. The room was immaculate and the bathroom looked brand new. We ate in the Laker Bar one night and it was tasty home cooked fayre. The breakfast was good and hot (thanks to the hot plates) and there was variety including kippers and eggs Benedict . All the staff were excellent and made us feel very welcome. We used the pool and sauna one afternoon and these were clean and very quiet.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest

Thank you for your recent feedback about the Castle Inn Hotel. I will pass on your feedback to all of the team at our weekly operational meeting.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Late on the1st night in our EXECUTIVE room, to our horror the sheets were BLOOD stained. We made the wrong decision to sleep in the bed and ‘avoid’ the problem area. Disgusting. 10am next day, we informed reception of the blood. She said all the linen would be changed immediately. At 6pm I checked the sheet. To my shock, the BED WAS MADE but, NOT CHANGED. Clearly, a) laundry is inadequate b)staff making the bed did not care c)communication did not happen d) staff remaking the bed did not care. This hotel is dysfunctional. 7am Sunday, woke to NO HEAT and NO HOT WATER. Duty manager’s ONLY OFFER was to USE the GYM. Our 2 local council-run swimming baths have better privacy/luxury. When leaving, another room was offered. Other rooms had always been available – just not to the guests. We have been offered an apology and if we go again(!) an upgrade. This means if we gamble another £330 we get an £85 upgrade! This is immoral and probably illegal. If you go – pray nothing will go wrong. It will never be sorted. the General Manager will now NOT REPLY

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

3 Thank Paul R
Dear Guest

We always take every comment from our guests very seriously. After several emails backwards and forwards I am sorry that you are still not satisfied with our generous offers of goodwill to remedy your situation.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 5 in Bassenthwaite
Ravenstone Manor
Ravenstone Manor
#1 of 5 in Bassenthwaite

Been to Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!