“Amazing family rooms”

Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Reviewed 5 May 2014

A great trip for our family. We travelled with our 10 month old and my parents. Our family room was huge and had a separate bath and shower which was good for getting everyone ready quick! My parents room was a good size too. We also had a mini fridge which was very handy for the snacks we brought for our baby.

The pool is fantastic and all the staff we came in to contact with were really helpful too. Booking in advance and paying early meant we got a great deal too.

Our only complaint, or really that of my parents, was the paper thin walls and inconsiderate other guests in the small hours. The hotel could really do with being better sound proofed, especially for the rooms that are in a main thoroughfare or next to the stairs. The old creaky stairs and noisy guests meant my parents were woken every night of our four night stay.

I would definitely stay again it was a great place and close to Bassenthwaite Village which has the great Sun Inn pub.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the stairs!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
pleewells, Owner at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for your recent review and kind words about our hotel.

My apologies to your parents regarding the noise from other guests. It is certainly something I will look at to resolve and I will re-enforce the message to the team to manage noise levels especially later in the evening.

Many thanks once again

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Lovely hotel with delightful staff and excellent food, we enjoyed the bar meals more than the restaurant as after one night in the main restaurant we felt it was too quiet and the sight of the great fish and chips in the bar enticed my husband, the dinner bed and breakfast rate has been altered and the allowance is now £25 in the main restaurant, I think this a little strange as when you book DBB you expect to have three courses and not have to work out your allowance, I prefer to have a total to include the three courses. I do expect some items to have a surcharge. I guess this is now done as some folk book thru a deal system but as we paid full rate I expect full rate in the restaurant. However that is one of two small moans, the second being the jacuzzi which again was out of use, will this ever be usable again??On the whole this is a lovely hotel and the breakfast cooked to order is great.

Room Tip: worth getting a room overlooking the lake but if its cloudy don't bother!

Dear Guest

Thank you for recent review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read your positive comments and I will certainly share these with the team. We are a family owned and run hotel and we take all comments good and bad seriously so we can celebrate the success and act upon areas that need to be improved.

My apologies regarding the Jacuzzi, but we do not have one anymore as mentioned in previous responses.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just arrived back from a four night stay at the Castle Inn Hotel and it more than lived up to our expectations. We booked a standard room (no 63) and although not massive it had everything you needed and it was immaculate. It had a side view to the hotel's garden and the lake. The bathroom was very modern with a big shower cubicle. We ate two nights in the Laker bar and the food was excellent and very well presented. We ate one evening in the Ritson and again the food was to die for although a little pricey. All the staff were friendly and went out of their way to ensure you wanted for nothing. The hotel is in a perfect location away from it all but only 7 miles from Keswick. A perfect place to relax.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review and we are all pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Room 63 is in 'The House' and has fantastic views over the gardens.

The team and I look forward to you returning in the near future.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Lovely relaxing weekend break in a peaceful location. Ate in the Lakers bar both nights, the food was a little pricey but similar to most hotel bar prices. The food was very nice and served quickly. We enjoyed a cooked breakfast on both mornings and there was lots of different choices for cereal, fruit, etc too. So full we didn't need lunch. The pool, steam room and sauna are a nice addition too. Our room was lovely with patio doors and a big window and a large bathroom. Staff were friendly. Good location, about 15 minute drive to Keswick. If you're looking for somewhere peaceful to relax you will enjoy it here.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for the recent review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read your positive comments and I will certainly share these with the team. We are a family owned and run hotel and we take all comments good and bad seriously so we can celebrate the success and act upon areas that need to be improved.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

very nice hotel close to the lake where there are places to picnic. Pool good size but disappointed jacuzzi not working - apparently hasnt worked for 2 years so really shouldnt be advertised as a facility. Nice bar area for drinks/food although both a bit on the pricey side so went into Keswick on an evening which is a 10 minute drive. We were room only so it wasnt the cheapest of breaks but it was easter so always going to be a bit more expensive. Overall very nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank janandreece

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and we are really pleased you had a nice stay with us. I am sorry that you thought that we had a Jacuzzi, as we removed this two years ago and we do not advertise that we do have one. Please could you let me know where it was advertised.

Thank you once again and we look forward to you returning to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Room was small
And cramped although immaculate. Very limited supply
Of
Drink making facility had to ask for milk . 2 teabags 1 coffee sachet .
Pool was lovely.
Breakfast was an experience to say the least !! With a waiter like basil fawlty! He continued to pace up and down and circle our table making us feel very uncomfortable , I took a bowl of ketchup to use for my little girl and he promptly came and stood over us waiting to put it back!! Breakfast was very mediocre no continental meats or cheeses ,
1 bowl of natural yoghurt no other flavours offered. Coffee was awful. No paper given to me as I was told I had not specified a paper therefore I could only have the free IT paper ( no thanks)was not shown where anything was or where to have breakfast etc kinda of found my own way. Rooms and hotel are very tired and the staff are not over friendly. Would not stay here again. Very poor service.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank julie w

Dear Guest

Thank you for recent review on Tripadvisor. We are a family owned and run hotel and we take all comments good and bad seriously so we can celebrate the success and act upon areas that need to be improved.

I am sorry and very surprised to hear about your experience and I will certainly be investigating the points you have raised and will deal with these issues.

My apologies once again and I hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Peter.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
The Keswick Country House Hotel
Embleton Spa Hotel
Embleton Spa Hotel
#1 of 1 in Embleton

Been to Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!