“Hotel room/leisure ok, food not”

Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had some bar meals and 1 afternoon tea, overall very moderate, I had the afternoon tea the sandwiches were cheese and pickle, thick cut cheddar and the smoked salmon was very thick and not good, just two choices. They brought me jam and clotted cream but no scone, I received a red hot microwaved one eventually.

My son had spaghetti Carbonara but they did not bring any garlic bread it came eventually.

We waited nearly 50 minutes for our meal, clearly they were short staffed but we won't go back and we only live 8 miles away in Keswick

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Stewart3250
pleewells, Owner at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest

My apologies that your experience of the food this day wasn't very good as we usually get very positive comments about our food. In my recolection it was an exceptionally busy time which is no excuse. I have reviewed this with the chef and we have altered our working practices in order to overcome times like this.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope you will try us again.

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We popped in early evening as my husband was keen to have a draught beer and our hotel, although fantastic in every other way, did not have beer from the pumps . The young bar man was very welcoming but having tried each of the beers in turn it was clear that all were off and barrels had to be changed. After a little while , my husband was by now drinking a different beer that would not have been an ideal choice, the manager arrived and put a new barrel on one of the beers. We saw the young barman draw off a couple of clear pints so my husband ordered a half pint from the manager. Again if was cloudy although we could not work out why. ! He drank only a small amount before we gave up and left . But unfortunately he was ill in the night. Would not return .

Room Tip: Did not stay
3 Thank Muriel G
Dear Guest

My apologies that the beer wasn't right when you came in on this particular day. It is very unusual as our beer is kept really well and we have a huge turn-over of real ales. All I can think of is it that the barrel was off. I will investigate and give feedback to the brewery.

My apologies once again

beith
Reviewed 9 July 2014

just back from a short break here. What a lovely hotel. We upgraded to a suite and it was great. Really big, lovely seating area, patio doors out to the garden and a fantastic bathroom with a rolltop bath!! Breakfast excellent. Loads of choice in the buffet and everything you could ask for freshly cooked. All staff were welcoming and very pleasant and helpful. Would definately recommend.

Room Tip: Suite was well worth the extra cost
2 Thank iangillan
Dear Guest

Thank you for recent great review on trip advisor, I will share your comments with the team and we do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes

North Yorkshire
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here recently on a DB&B booking. Greeted initially by lovely receptionist Alison who made us feel very welcome. Lovely room and bathroom. The jacuzzi was out of order which we were told has been long term, but pool very nice and staff again very pleasant. The evening meal for which we were informed by the restaurant manager that we each had a £25 allowance against the menu was a mix of appalling and good. My wife's meal of scallops followed by sea bass was consisted of overcooked rubbery fish and burnt potatoes, whilst my parfait and lamb to follow was good. However my wife's meal had to be sent back as it was Inedible and the restaurant manager was both professional and apologetic. She offered to replace the meal which was politely declined as my wife's stomach was a little upset by this point, She reassured us that we would not have to pay for the Inedible food despite asking me to sign the bill which included coffees and drinks so had no problem doing so. However next day after a good breakfast and feeling we had had a pleasant stay we experienced the worst customer care we have ever experienced from the duty manager when we came to settle our bill. The lovely receptionist asked first one gentleman how she could subtract my wife's meal from the bill he was very nice but confused us by his explanation, he then bought the duty manager. He was from the outset very rude eg "I only have your word for it that your food was Inedible", insinuating we were liars, and quoting how dinner, bed and breakfast does not mean you pay for dinner so we were not entitled to a refund of menu prices, he belligerently said as a "good will gesture " he would knock
off £11 of drinks but it was not done with good will and he reduced my wife to tears and caused us both gross embarrassment. The receptionist could not have been kinder but this rude man ruined our stay We left the hotel with my wife in some distress. We will not be returning or recommend to friends on the basis of his poor customer care, which is a shame.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cara009
Dear Guest

I am sorry that you felt that the incident was not dealt with at the time whilst you were at the hotel and then you felt it necessary to put the comments on tripadvisor.

As mentioned at the time we have addressed the issues but if you feel it is necessary to contact me, please call me direct.

Kind regards

rossendale
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just returned from a nights stay on booking asked for a quiet room with nice views. Must say we were not disappointed we were upgraded to a suite which was large with fabulous views of the fells. The grounds were lovely with well kept gardens. Could not fault the hotel the breakfast was freshly made with plenty of choice. Friendly, professional staff. Will return

1 Thank judithRossendale
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent fantastic review on tripadvisor.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and myself hadn't been to the Lakes for a very long time and decided as weather was nice to make the trip, decided to treat ourselves and found this lovely 4 star hotel, about 5 minutes drive from Keswick and overlooking a spectacular Lake, the peace and quite was wonderful just what my husband needed as he works in London. When we arrived we were greeted by Alison on reception who was charming and very helpful, we had decided to book a suite and we were not disappointed. For the more strenuous the pool and gym fit the bill. We ate in the restaurant the first night and the food was first class (I can be picky), we were shown to our table by Jonny, the Duty Manager who was cheerful and could not have been more helpful, felt as though we had known him for years. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Delia007
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and we are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I will certainly pass on your positive comments to Jonny and the rest of the team.

Many thanks again

Peter.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Embleton Spa Hotel
#1 of 1 in Embleton
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!