“EXCELLENT HOTEL, 100% FOR THE EXPERIENCE OF STAYING IN SUCH A BEAUTIFUL ESTABLISHMENT” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel

BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

The Castle Inn is situated in Bassenthwaite, which is a small village approx 15 mins from Keswick.
The views are outstanding, the grounds to the hotel are extensive, and very peaceful.
The staff are very well trained and polite, they are extremely helpful and friendly.
The rooms are wonderful, very clean and very spacious, the bed is sooo comfortable, the best bed that I have slept in in England !!
A very enjoyable holiday and we will be visiting the Hotel again very soon.
Thankyou to all at the Castle Inn !!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GIBBSJOANANDCLIFF
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
Dear guest, thank you very much for your fantastic review. I am particularly please about your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room and the staff attitude. I believe this is what makes all the difference between hotels. The team at the castle look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Cumbria, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

We used this hotel for a short break for our anniversary and really enjoyed our stay.
The staff were very helpful especially in the restaurant where the food was very nicely presented with a good choice of meals. We were on a half board deal where you were given a allowance for your evening meal which proved to be quite adequate. You were given the choice to eat in either the bar or the restaurant so we chose the restaurant which looked more relaxing.
My only gripe (and its a small one) was the jacuzzi in the leisure club seemed as if it had been in a state of dissrepair for some time. I hope the hotel have now found a suitable maintainance contractor to repair it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your great feedback. Chef Neil and Manish our Restaurant & Bar Manager are very pleased by your comments, and I know they have passed on your kind words to their team. On the other hand, the situation with the Jacuzzi as been resolved and we are happy to offer the service to our guest. Happy belated anniversary and I hope to see you again soon.
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

I arrived at the Castle Inn at the end of the first day of a walking holiday. It was a really great hotel - nothing I can fault it for - and more importantly - I chose to cancel my next night's booking so that I could stay an extra night at the Castle Inn.

The room I had was really comfortable, spacious and the bed extra large and comfortable. And a really comfortable bath - most important when you have been walking all day.

The food in the restaurant was excellent - really exciting flavours and nicely set out (although a slight point was that the approach for the dinner I had on the second night was not a million miles different from the approach on the first night).

The staff were all really friendly and went out of their way to be helpful - eg. on the day that I arrived I somewhat stupidly decided to clean my walking boots in the bathroom sink, which resulted in me blocking the sink (yeah really stupid - I was knackered!!!). Far from being annoyed, the staff went out of their way to sort the problem out and were really friendly about it. As well as this, because I booked a second night at the Castle, it meant I had to get a taxi to where I needed to be to keep up with my itinerary. Despite the taxi ride I needed usually costing over £35, the receptionist plugged away and managed to get me the taxi ride for £20.

And the leisure suite was the icing on the cake - being able to get in a jacuzzi, a steam room, a sauna and a swimming pool after having walked all day was paradise.

The location is also really good - tucked away under Skiddaw and near Bassenthwaite Lake - so walking wise - you have a choice of challenging or easy - but both unbelievable beautiful.

In summary - this hotel is excellent - and well worth the price.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CastleInnManager, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2010
Thank you for your review. The fact you extended your stay is the best comment we can have. i am happy you enjoyed your time and the food at our hotel and we look forward to see you next time you go walking in the lake district.
brit in uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2010

We stayed here on our wedding anniversary and found the hotel very comfortable. The only issue we had was the dinner, that unfortunately we didnt enjoy, but the breakfeast however was very tasty. Our room was very good, the bed was the biggest and the most confortable we have ever slept in. The jacuzzi was very relaxing, very good lesure centre. The hotel was exceptionally clean.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CastleInnManager, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
Thank you for your review. I have passed on your kinds words to our Staffs, specially housekeeping. I also appreciate your feedback regarding Dinner, Chef and his team are working hard to raise the standards and I am sorry that it was not at the same quality level that the rest of your stay. We look forward to your next visit.
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

Went for an overnight stay to the Castle Inn. Went on a whim and to an area of the Lakes we'd never really explored. The hotel is great - rooms clean and airy. The only quibble was the shower which for some reason wouldn't run hot water though the bath and sink taps did. The beds are extremely comfortable and have that 'I don't want to get out of bed' feel to them. The view from our room was absolutely stunning and the photo doesn't give it justice. The food is very good in Ritson's restuarant though its a bit on the small portion side and the lamb we both had didn't come with any veg but was done perfectly and served on (I presume) a slab of Lakeland slate. The service was a bit slow but it didn't spoil our enjoyment of the meal.If you'd had a hard day's walking, I'd suggest eating in the Lakers bar as I noticed the portions were good and solid and looked well nice! Breakfast is very good with a selection of fruit, cereals etc as well as the different 'cooked' breakfasts in addition.
The leisure facilities are fantastic - swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi as well as tennis court and while we were there you could play indoor tennis. There was also one of the large conference rooms being used for the little ones as a cinema and showed a number of films throughout the day.
We were told on check out that the hotel does special offers and have advised the next time we book to do it directly with the hotel (we went on laterooms.com) as we could have got our stay cheaper......ah the beauty of hindsight.
Overall, its the best hotel we've stopped in (and we've stopped in a few). We couldn't fully appreciate everything the hotel had to offer - my poor bloke had really bad toothache and so it marred our short stay. We WILL be returning and look forward to the new brochure coming out as we'd like to go there for Xmas.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
CastleInnManager, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2010
Thank you for the great feedback! I have shared your comments with the entire team at the hotel. We look forward to see you again in the near future.
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

We just stayed for four nights at the Castle Inn Hotel, we booked 3 nights and extended our stay and we were extremely happy with this hotel. The suite was large, comfortable and sunny overlooking the garden and a bit of the lake in the distance, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom spacious. The only criticism I have is the lack of glasses by the wash basin. Cheap, disposable catering cups is a definite no for a 4* hotel and I do hope that the management will take steps to rectify this faux pas.
The food at both, the restaurant and the bar was good, the service was excellent and all the staff were extremely polite and helpful.
The final rating of any hotel is always the question if you would stay there again or if you would recommend this hotel to your friends and the answer in both cases must be an empathetic ‘YES’

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
CastleInnManager, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments, I am glad you enjoyed and decided to extend your stay. I also will pass on you kinds feedback to the staff. We look forward to see you again.
Sherburn in Elmet, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

I chose the Best Western based on its advertisement for 'new sealy beds' - all I wanted after a day of hiking was a hot shower and comfy bed. It would have been more comfortable sleeping in the bath, something I contemplated throughout the night when I lay awake thinking how exhausted and uncomfortable I was. Management - please note that FIRM mattresses are only for very heavy people and whilst you may have wanted to invest in a mattress that would last for years, you've exchanged longevity for comfort. We could only get tepid water in the shower and to get hot water my parter had to constantly flush the toilet. I wouldn't recommend staying here if you simply want a comfortable overnight stay.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am sorry to hear your comments regarding the bed. Hard or soft mattresses are always a very personal preference and although we received great review for our Sealy bed I am taking your feedback on board. Thank you for taking the time to express your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Glen Rothay Hotel
Glen Rothay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rydal

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!