“Lovely Hotel and accommodation, meal in restaurant disappointing”

Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Reviewed 18 September 2010

The hotel has recently refurbished rooms. We stayed in a standard double which was well furnished, although overlooked by a neighbouring room and from the conservatory below. Unfortunately, for any privacy we had to keep our curtains closed, which denied us a lovely view. Our en-suite bathroom was beautiful.
The hotel is quite remote and therefore unless you want to drive, you need to eat in either the bar (Lakers) or the restaurant (Ritsons). Our bar meal on Friday was typical bar-food, a delicious Thai curry with accompaniaments and a steak meal. Our Saturday evening meal in Ritson's restaurant began well with a sesame goat's cheese with caramelised pear and a smoked chicken, bacon and gnocci starter. Unfortunately the standard was not continued for the main course. The lovely presentation was let down by the food that was served luke-warm. The peppercorn sauce on the steak was tepid, the accompanying veg were all but cold, and the main of lamb served with rosemary mash promised so much but delivered little, simply because the meal was cold. The restaurant manager and the rest of his staff couldn't bre faulted on service. They were warm, friendly and helpful. Come on kitchen staff don,t let the side down!!!!! This was a treat for our silver wedding anniversary. Had a lovely stay but felt let down with what should have been a special meal.

1  Thank lel163
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. As a family own and run hotel feedback are very important to us and we do take your comments seriously.

I am happy that you choose to stay with us for your Silver Wedding Anniversary, I would like to congratulate you on celebrating 25 years of marriage.

I would like to apologise for the food issues you encounter during your recent stay with us at the Best Western Castle Inn Hotel. I have spoken to our head chef and we are currently investigating the situation as this is not representative of the standards we pride on.

I also wanted to thank you for the positive feedback regarding the staff and the accommodation, I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again at the hotel and you will give chef and his team the chance to impress you with the food we are serving in both our restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel

Reviewed 13 September 2010

This hotel provides a service which is everything you would expect for a weekend break. We choose this hotel for its swimming pool, sauna and steam room - a little luxury for a relaxing stay - the facilities were clean and up to standard including very nice changing rooms. All staff we encountered were professional and friendly. The bar food good and reasonably priced. The room spacious and comfortable with a nice firm mattress. The north Lakes area is beautiful. We visited lovely villages Caldbeck (and its lovely little shops) and Hesket Newmarket (as a change from nearby Keswick) and we had blanket sunshine for the weekend. We returned home happy and refreshed : D

1  Thank katizzy78

Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending the hotel, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and find time to discover the beautiful surrounding of the Lake District. I am particularly pleased you had the chance to visit less known places such as Hesket Newmarket, we are pride to work with this fantastic little village and serve in our Lakers bar the local brew ale.

Also a warm thank for the kind words about our staff. We pass on every feedback and we are proud of the hard work done by our great team.

Reviewed 8 September 2010

What a fantastic place! Looks are VERY deceiving - it doesn't look much from outside but it's lovely inside, very modern, light and airy and far larger than you'd think. Receptionist was a pleasure to deal with - welcoming, friendly and efficient, a real credit to the place.

Our room was a good size - massive bed (super-king size?) which was very comfy, very quiet, and the bathroom had separate bath and power shower. We were given complimentary WiFi access which many hotels charge for - a nice touch.

Breakfast was lovely - not only the usual full English but Eggs Benedict, kippers, kedgeree, and boiled eggs too.

We were only here one night but it's a fantastic place to spend longer - close to Bassenthwaite village (you can see the lake from the hotel) and only about 15 minutes drive to both Keswick and Cockermouth.

Gem of a place and a credit to Best Western!

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank Oldbrookie
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2010

Great Feedback! Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your kind words to our reception team. Again Thank you and we look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed 4 September 2010

Positives: comfy beds, hot powerful showers, good pool and sauna
Negatives: room needed artificial light all day, road noise not helped by ill fitting windows
breakfast had better cooked from wetherspoons, beer served too cold,

1  Thank happejo
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2010

Dear Guest, I am glad you've enjoyed the comfort of the bed, and the power shower. I am also please to hear that you had time to use our Leisure Club and liked the installations.
Regarding your comments about the lightening in the room and the window; I have spoken to my head Housekeeper and head of Maintenance and we are looking into that matter. Finally, I have met with Chef and also our restaurant manager to discuss your comment about breakfast and they re-assured me it was an isolated incident and they will find ways to make sure it will never happen again. I am sorry for the inconvenience and I hope we will see you again.

Reviewed 15 August 2010

We 've been frequent visitors at this hotel over the past years and while it is being refurbished to a high standard it retains the qualities we always loved about it. The atmosphere is relaxed, staff are friendly, attentive and helpful, leisure facilities ensure you can chill out and provide an alternative when weather is not so good. We've been as a couple, and with children aged toddler to early teens and they've loved it too - table tennis, WII and games to occupy them. Ive been back with friends and most recently in a wheelchair after breaking my ankles, when once again we were treated very well and went home feeling relaxed and revitalised.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank judithcodurham
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2010

Thank you for trusting us over the years. I am glad you enjoy the latest refurbishment and find time to relax. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 13 August 2010

2 night break to walk & visit family. Refurbished room with sitting area. Nice pool, small gym - due to be upgraded. Lovely evening meal & great breakfast. Staff were all pleasant & normal. The hotel seemed full so there was a good atmosphere. Easy drives to go walking or to the coast. No issues at all & would stay again quite happily.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anniemtb

Thank you for your great feedback, I am happy that we ticked all the boxes. We look forward to see you again.

Reviewed 6 August 2010

My husband and I have just returned from this hotel, we only booked it on the morning of tuesday 3rd August and left that same day for a two day break. We had only looked at places to go that morning for a couple of days relaxation and we couldn't have chosen a nicer hotel to stay in. We decided to treat ourselves and we booked a suite which was lovely, it had a nice big double bed and the bathroom was lovely with a free standing bath and lovely modern round handbasin and a nice heated radiator. it was also spotlessly clean and bright as was the room and sitting area as well.
We had dinner on the first night in the restaurant and the food and service were very good, my husband had the steak and I had the salmon and both were cooked very well. On the second night we opted to have our meal in the bar and again the food was lovely,my husband had the lamb and it was cooked to perfection while I opted for the lasagne which was fine.
We had a very minor problem which when we made it known to reception was dealt with immediately and courteously. Steven in Lakers bar was very helpful with a bit of a problem my husband had and this was much appreciated.
All in all we had a lovely time and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and we would certainly stay here again without any hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sheeli
CastleInnManager, Deputy Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2010

Thank you very much for the kind words. I am happy you've enjoyed the suite and the food. I also wanted to let you know that I have passed on your comments to the staff and specially Steven.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Embleton Spa Hotel
Embleton Spa Hotel
#1 of 1 in Embleton
The Keswick Country House Hotel

Been to Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!