“Just playing at running a hotel”

Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Stayed for 2 nights. We could see the hotel had just been refurbished. However not to any great standard. The wallpaper was already coming away in a couple of places.
The hotel room was not a great size but of a good standard, but once again the refurbishment in the bathroom was poor. Sink tap was loose were it had been attached
Certainly not a 4 star. We nearly always stay in Best western and this is not a good one.
The hotel itself could be good if the staff were more professional.
Examples include:
Going to the bar at 5pm (open 11am-11pm) to find it empty and no barman, but a sign pointing you in the direction of reception if service was required. After waiting 5 minutes a manager appeared and asked our order behind the pulled down grill. The drinks were served at the end of the bar (entrance), and he went. Nobody came back to see if any further drinks were required.
The receptionist Tina deserves special mention. Both times at breakfast we said our "good morning" as we went to breakfast and both mornings we were ignored. Other members of staff she was talking to responded but Tina it seems seemed preferred chatting to her friends than talking to the guests. Not the ideal face of the hotel.
Also after we were over charged for drinks Tina seemed incapable of understanding the discrepancy. It was left for someone else to resolve later in the day. In fact I resolved it myself by explaining the situation to the barman concerned
Breakfast 2nd morning. After waiting 25minutes for breakfast, my kipper was overcooked to the point of being burnt on top, (inedible) my wife ordered smoked haddock and poached egg, it came with the plate swimming in water. Poor cooking and failure of the waitress to notice. No quality control.
The hotel was only half full and still the service was poor.
We will not return.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2010

Dear Guest,
I would like to apologise if you felt your stay did not met your expectation. I have shared your comments with the team at the hotel and taken onboard your comments. I also would like to take the opportunity to clarify a few points.
You mentioned the 4 star qualities within the building and the staff: We recently had an audit from the AA star rating. The hotel inspector was pleased with the high standard of our accommodations and we increased our score compared to last year 4 star accreditation, also, for the second year in a row the hotel received a special mention for the friendliness of the service and staff attitude as well as housekeeping. Best Western conducted a similar inspection and again found no issues with the building and as well gave us a high score on the guest satisfaction. (8.80 out of 10).
I am sorry if you did find the bar unmanned at one point during your stay, we have a desire to keep the staff employed during the lower time of the business and have crossed trained each departments to help each other when possible. It is Unfortunate that at that particular time, the bar tender was helping our busy conference and event team.
As always we wish our customers to enjoy the time spend at the Castle Inn and recommend to our guests to contact the manager on duty or myself if needed.

Reviewed 26 October 2010

Very friendly staff. Clean, well sized room and spacious and modern bathroom. Leisure facilities satisfactory, and nice idea to provide free tea and coffee. Good menu and food. Great to find several places throughout the hotel to sit and relax and read the free newspapers. Internet provision was unreliable and should be looked at urgently. Overall, a very pleasant place to stay and worth the money.

1  Thank junost
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2010

Dear guest,
I appreciate your comments and took special mention of the fact you had experienced difficulties with the WI-FI. I would like to apologise about that matter. I am currently investigating the situation and had asked our outside IT consultant to provide the hotel with better connection as to guaranty the level of service we are thriving on.

Reviewed 25 October 2010

I read the last review previous to our stay which claims that you can't believe the tariff you have booked via Best Western. Firstly I have no connection to this hotel. I had already booked to stay there for the first time using Best Westerns web site. The previous review made me worry that all would not be well. It was the opposite, our stay was wonderful and I can only suggest that the Lady who claims she was forced to pay for breakfast must have booked 'room only' as this is a cheap option offered by Best western and that would fit with the staffs comments to her complaints about having to pay for her meals. Like her we also had an executive twin and the room was very spacious, the bathroom was very well appointed with a separate shower cubicle, bath, toilet and washbasin all were very clean. Her gripe about there being only one bath towel and one hand towel would have been easily resolved if she had bothered to look in the cupboard as the 2nd set were stored in there. I presume the hotel does this as they may get many single travelers, business men etc There is a sign telling you where the 2nd set is kept. I am beginning to think the lady did not bother to read things correctly! As for children, there were plenty staying there this last weekend, none were any bother, all seemed very happy and the hotel even laid on films in a room for children to watch.
I find it amazing that on tripadvisor people seem to feel like running down establishments for the sake of it. They may have a small gripe, address these to the hotel management whilst staying there. It is too late after you have gone and once it is put onto the internet it is there forever and can be very damaging to a businesses trade and quite often it is unfair and over exaggerated. Most hotels I have stayed in have been excellent but on tripadvisor there may be the odd unnerving review which has made me doubt my decision to book but has proven unfounded when staying there.
This hotel is 4 stars rated by the AA who have exacting standards and the Castle Inn lives up to these. The food was also of an excellent standard.
You may have guessed I do work in the hospitality industry but not for Best Western, I am independent. I have exacting standards too and thats why I usually pick 4 star properties as these tend to fit my needs.

1  Thank ninabelina

Dear reviewer,
A big thanks you for your comments and I am pleased you had a wonderful time at The Castle Inn Hotel.
As you so rightfully say, guest who experiences any problems while staying in hotels should express their feeling to the management during the stay as it is too late once checked out.
I am always available to speak to customers and we, at the Castle Inn, will do our best to see our guest leaving satisfied with the quality of service they received during their stay.
Once again, thank you for your comment; it is fantastic to have review like yours.

Reviewed 19 October 2010

I booked an overnight so that my 12-year-old grandchild and I could have a mini break in the in the Lakes during her school holiday. Staff courteous but crisp. The room -- an "executive twin" -- was average. Inadequate bedding: a thin hard quilt each, Bathroom so small there was room for no more than one towel set. Cheap, thin loo paper. Unbranded toiletries. We had to ask for the promised bathrobes, The online reservation said "breakfast included", but the staff insisted we pay the £14.50 each for ful breakfast or £750 each for continental. They said, "The online site (Best Western) does that to make people think they have a good price, gets people in." The spa is not open to children under 12 and the water is heavily chlorinated. The "vegetables" part of my "lamb shank and vegetables" consisted of a few limp squares of carrot and turnip in the gravy.. This is a hotel in a lovely location that seems geared to skimping on small amenities for guests in order to make as much money as possible.. It certainly is not welcoming family place. My grandchild was the only child we saw. I've stayed in Best Westerns in other parts of the world, but I'd not return to this charmless one.

• Stayed: October 2010
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2010

I am upset you did not enjoy your stay with us, we are a small family run hotel and we take each guest feedback seriously. I respect your opinion and I have taken your feedback on board, other trip advisor reviewers already commented on some of your issues but I wanted to also clarify few points.
1.) Booking a room only is an easy mistake to make as internet reservation can sometime be confusing. However, our reception staff did ask at check in if you wanted to add breakfast at a discounted price.
2.) The Spa; Indeed, does not allow 12 years old (but the swimming pool yes) and we took the decision based on health and safety guidance, also, the Chlorine level is tested every hour in the spa and every two hours in the swimming pool.
I already discuss your comments with yourself upon your departure, and I was hopping I had explained and answered them. However, I am at your disposition if you wish to talk further about it.

Reviewed 18 October 2010

My husband and I took my 85 year-old father to the Castle Inn Hotel for a weekend break. The rooms were lovely - nicely decorated, good size and clean - and the staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. In particular, the restaurant staff were particularly kind to my father who is in a wheelchair and has some hearing problems. They were very patient with him and really attentive. Great food on the restaurant too.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

The entire team and I wanted to thank you for your comment. It was a pleasure to assist you during your stay at the hotel.

Reviewed 18 October 2010

The service was brilliant, checking in so easy, our 5 year old was given a activity pack from Tina the receptionist (which was a really nice touch!) and booking another night was done without any hassle. Family room was huge and very cosy and clean (excellent housekeeping in all area's). The bathroom again was spotless. Location was great close enough to Keswick (5-10 minute drive) if you wanted shopping/pubs etc, but far enough away if you wanted some great views and peace and quiet. The Lakers bar had good menu, and the giant domino's/jenga and connect 4 kept us all entertained after dinner. The staff were attentive and friendly without being too intrusive. Breakfast was great and really set you up for the day, there was a lot to choose from. The Leisure facillities were excellent and the pool was great. We loved everything about this Hotel and would recommend it to family, friends and anyone reading this review, its perfect for a nice relaxing break or just family time. We will definatley stay here again but for a longer break next time.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank travellerwith5yrold

Dear reviewer,
The fact you decided to extend your stay is for us the best compliment you could have made! Thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed 7 October 2010

After deciding that we wanted a weekend away before my 14 year old daughter returned to school we decided to look for a late deal at a hotel in the Lakes. E-mails were sent and replies were received from various hotels. However it was the friendliness and professionalism of Tina Kelly on the reception at the Castle Inn that made me book this hotel. She responded to my various e-mails and many questions and even had the time to phone me to discuss my requirements as my wife is partially disabled. She promised to book us into a room suitable for our needs and even managed to do a deal on the price. Tina is an exceptional employee and a real credit to the hotel.

Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted by friendly, smiling and extremely helpful staff who instantly made us feel welcome. Although we were offered assistance with our luggage I politely refused as I had been sat in my car for two and a half hours travelling and needed the exercise. We were shown to room number 21, just a few stairs up on the first floor. Opening the door revealed a superb clean, fresh family room with lots of space, an enormous king size bed and a large single bed for my daughter. It also had a seperate seating area with a large wall-mounted, flat-screen television and lots of complimentary beverages and biscuits. The free wi-fi was used extensively without any break in connection. The bathroom was spotless with plenty of fresh towels, shower gels and shampoos.
It offered superb views over Bassenthwaite Lake to the right and Skiddaw to the left which were absolutely breathtaking as the sun began to set. We could not have been allocated a better room for our requirements.
The leisure facilities were magnificent and swimming in the pool and a jacuzzi at 07.30 was the ideal way to begin the day before indulging in an excellent breakfast of fresh fruit, cereal, toast and a hearty full English. The breakfast staff were friendly, attentive and the service was excellent.

The lounge area was very comfortable with ample seating on plush sofas and chairs, reading the complimentary papers whilst admiring the stunning gardens and views.
My only complaint would be that on the evening we arrived after a long journey we decided to eat in the bar. I understand that it was 19:30 and it was very busy but having to wait 45 minutes before we were even asked if we would like to order was a little excessive and I let this be known. The following evening was a much more pleasant affair as the service this time was exceptional. The food on both evenings was extremely good and I can thoroughly recommend the lamb shank. The prices were very reasonable and the portions of more than adequate size..
ALL the staff were superb and I would have to allocate them all 10 out of 10 for their professionalism, attentiveness, politeness, sincerity and obvious pride in working for this hotel. I will definitely be returning in the near future to sample some more delights of the Best Western Castle Inn Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Tony_Price100200
CastleInnManager, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2010

Thank you so much for this fantastic review. It brings me great pleasure to read it and specially the fact you choose us due to the friendliness and professionalism of our staffs. We are very proud of the team working with us and we strongly believe that personality alongside great service can make or break a hotel.
Of course I have shared your comments with our team, and Tina really appreciated your feedback. Again a warm thanks and we look forward to seeing you again soon while visiting our beautiful area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
The Keswick Country House Hotel
Embleton Spa Hotel
Embleton Spa Hotel
#1 of 1 in Embleton

Been to Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!