“Afternoon Tea”

Carlisle
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We enjoyed Afternoon Tea for £13.50 each in February 2014. Atmosphere was welcoming and relaxed; the lounge was very cosy with a log fire and several large couches and arm chairs. Tea included finger sandwiches (unfortunately a little dry), mini scones with cream/jam and wonderful rum butter, fruit cake, lemon drizzle and a delicious lemon posset. I would describe it as Cumbrian farmhouse style, with strong black tea (1 large pot between 4, we were charged extra for a second pot). Very enjoyable as there was plenty of space, and we were left to relax and recharge our batteries.

Cumbria
“Unprofessional Staff”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

The Afternoon Tea was measly, and very expensive, and when my friend complained the deputy manager lost her temper and shouted at him. As we were part of a group of friends, I went and paid quietly, and explained who I was (my son was runner-up in the nation inter-hotel customer service awards a couple of years ago and I was then working for Citizen's Advice) - and advising the woman about basic customer service and the Sale of Goods and Services Act. She did at least listen, so hopefully it has improved in service and price!

Visited July 2012
3 Thank Ducklet2
carlisle
“Ok Afternoon tea - service needs to be improved!”
Reviewed 31 October 2010

I do like a nice afternoon tea in pleansant surroundings. The Pheasant Inn was very old worlde, with nice little rooms to choose from to sit in. BUT, first impressions are important, starting with the welcome you receive from the staff and this was "very lacking". I do not expect to check in at reception and to be told to go and find somewhere to sit, however busy an establishment is. I expect to be shown to a table, that has been booked in advance, and it is ready and prepared. I also do not expect to have to find that table myself, sit around waiting to be served, then go and have to find someone as not so much as a cup of tea, or an apology, has arrived at the table. Eventually after nearly a 30 minute wait, halleluhah it finally arrived. The afternoon tea was quite nice, certainly not the best I have had, but then i had to ask staff for tea to be refreshed. I really do think management need a training session on customer care and service as this was just not good enough.

3 Thank hamish1carlisle