“A fabulous experience”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kansas City, Missouri
“A fabulous experience”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I've just returned from two glorious weeks at Hawaii Island Retreat. I went for a wedding and stayed for the amazing experience of old Royal Hawaii. The wedding was at a beautiful spot on a cliff overlooking the ocean, so the sound of the sea punctuated the beauty of the couple's vows. The reception was glorious with tables scattered around the open patio and waterfall lights decorating the trees. Very romantic. There's room for a band and dancing, too.

Staying a week after the event gave me a chance to feel the beauty and the deep healing quality of the land. Chef Mo uses produce from the extensive gardens for meals plus fresh yogurt and cheeses are always available and made on site. A tea and coffee table is available all day long.

Two must-do experiences: walking in the gulch with the sacred stones where King Kamehameha held council and swimming in the salt water pool. Incredible. Lay your palms on the stones to feel their energy; let the salt water wash away tired muscles and rejuvenate your skin. And for an incredible healing session, book a massage with one of the therapists or a yoga session; and even better, schedule a healing with Jeanne who is trained in both ancient island healing and modern Neurolink to bring the brain and the body into alignment.

Great organic food, beautiful location, luxurious rooms, comforting beds and pillows, excellent staff, and a healing ambience. You can rest from this over-taxing world whether you're planning a couples' vacation, a wedding, or some alone downtime, and you won't go wrong. This isn't just a hotel. It's a haven.

Room Tip: Tell the owner, Jeanne, what you are looking for and she will accommodate you. All rooms are airy an...
Green Features: Having meals prepared from fruits and vegetables and yogurt and cheeses made from organic products on the land was marvelous. A windmill provides electricity; the water is pure; the land is cared for in a sacred manner; and the gardens are extensive.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
hawaiiislandretreat, General Manager at Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Aloha Janet, thank you for the amazing review! We are all so happy you were able to enjoy your stay to the fullest, not only the wedding but the time spent afterwards unwinding and absorbing all of the wonderful energy this land has to offer. There is not much more that I can add except, Mahalo nui loa.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This was my second visit to Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku, the first was for a family reunion, and this one was for a wedding. It could not have been better for either one. Incredibly lovely setting for a wedding, the dining room was perfect for the dinner, and the patio just right for dancing. A wonderful time was had by all. The quiet spirituality of the place cannot be missed, a trip down to the historical"circle of Stones" is a must. And to sample the healthful locally grown food is a bit of heaven.

Room Tip: The upper rooms have a wonderful view, while the lower rooms are great for those who prefer no stair...
Green Features: Most food is grown on the premises, and left overs are fed to the chickens--thus fresh eggs each day. Goats provide fresh milk, cream, cheese and even occasionally ice cream.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Judith S
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I loved this place! I stayed at the retreat as part of my University of Minnesota Center for Spirituality experience. This place is peaceful, historical, serene, healing and unforgettable.

• Stayed January 2014
Mahalo. We are so very happy that both you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. We are deeply committed to making our guest's experience a memorable one. Again, thank you for your kind words.
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I had the pleasure of enjoying this retreat for 7 glorious days. The property is so beautiful and the owners and staff made our yoga group feel like we were a part of their family. The yoga room provided everything we needed for practice as well as spectacular views and sliding doors that allowed the ylang-ylang fragrance to fill the room. The food is the best, most tasty and FRESH! We were spoiled with fresh bananas from the garden and honey from their own bees. The property provided incredible opportunities to explore and hike. My favorite part was Jeannie (owner) who loved to "talk story" and share the oral history of the land the retreat is situated on. Don't miss this blessing! The retreat is 5 minutes from Havi and a car is required. The location is on the north side of the island and enjoys many micro climates during a day (even in one hour). I loved how secluded we were but had Havi so close by. Enjoy your stay and again NAMASTE!

• Stayed March 2014
hawaiiislandretreat, General Manager at Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for being our guests; and for your kind review as well! We are so happy you had such a wonderful experience at our retreat.
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We had the best time. So beautiful!
Everything was wonderful from the pool to the yurts to the main house.
One thousand stars!
Location was away from all of the touristy junk but a close drive to all of the wonderful beaches.
Make sure you take a dip in the pool :)

Room Tip: We preferred the rustic yurts
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

hawaiiislandretreat, General Manager at Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
We are so pleased you were able to enjoy your stay with us. You are absolutely correct, we are quiet and private yet within easy driving distance to many of the natural sites in North and South Kohala. Thank you so much for your kind review!
Seattle
Reviewed 6 May 2014

If you'd like your Hawaiian vacation to feel like a monastic retreat on a dramatic ocean cliff, then this is the place for you. Great for romance or feeling remote, and the meals were incredible! I was traveling by bike, and the next day climbing over the mountain pass I was fueled by cinnamon rolls they sent with me!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
hawaiiislandretreat, General Manager at Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Yes, our wellness retreat is private and secluded. Our primary focus is to provide a place where our guests can get away from the daily stress of life in order to relax and regain a sense of balance and wellness in nature. Yet, at the same time, we are within minutes from major activities and sites in North Kohala. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again at Hawaii Island Retreat.
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I will admit that driving in the dark from the airport in Kona to find this hotel made me a bit nervous once the GPS started to take me down one long, beat-up dirt road after another, but once I got there I was very pleased. The first 3 nights I stayed in a yurt which was a great experience but presented a challenge due to the rainy weather. There of course were also the occasional bugs or small geckos, but this was to be expected. I am an earthy kind of girl, so I fit right in. After 3 nights in the yurt it had everything had become so damp that they allowed me to move into one of the guest rooms in the hotel for no extra charge which I greatly appreciated. It was such a treat to get to experience both.
The hotel is a very secluded place, but I personally did not mind having to drive 30min-1hr to find beaches and other points of interest because I was by myself and it was a good way to explore more of the island. The meals that I did eat there were amazing, but quite expensive and I was hoping for a glass of wine to be served with dinner at $45 per person.
I will say that about a month has gone by and I sometimes find myself missing the time I spent at the Hawaii Island Retreat and hope that I can spend some time there again someday.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Amy T
hawaiiislandretreat, General Manager at Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you so much for your review. Our yurts are for those travelers who are looking for a “glamping” glamorous camping experience without actually having to camp outside. Although occasionally they do get in, we work very hard at keeping “geckos” and “bugs” out of the structures. All of our yurts have screens which also help in keeping them out. Our location is both private and secluded yet within a few minutes driving distance from restaurants and cafes in both Hawi and Kapaau. The closest sandy beach is a 35 minute drive away. However, there is good snorkeling at Mahukona and Kapa’a Park which are roughly seven miles to the south of Hawi. We are also at the hub of outdoor activities including zip lines, horseback riding, and hiking. Our chefs are on call as needed to prepare meals for our guests. Meals are prepared with dietary restrictions in mind, using vegetables and fruits organically grown on our property. Lastly, I am so glad we were able to accommodate you regarding the room upgrade. We try and work with our guests as much as possible in making their stay a great experience. Again, thank you for your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaau
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia? Share your experiences!