“An absolute must for those seeking an experience to revitalize their spirit and soul in the healing magic of Hawaii”

Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapaau
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I was a solo traveler seeking a healing spiritual retreat and was a bit nervous about it, but once I was greeted by the staff and settled in I knew I was in the right place. Everything, from the hotel, to the bountiful, beautiful food (grown on the grounds) to the meditation, yoga and spa services, is done with care and thoughtful joy. I loved every moment! And the location is stunning, a true feeling of the Hawaiian coast.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia

Reviewed 26 July 2010

I'm a travel writer and have been to the Big Island over 30 times in as many years. I've not stayed north of Kohala and finding this new oasis in Hawi was pure heaven. Run by one of the gurus of spa culture, she worked a miracle on a leg problem I had that defied doctors, osteopaths and a massage therapist here in Australia which gave me the mobility I'd lacked for three months.

That was the surprise of the holiday and it gave me the freedom to zip around the property which comprises a nine room main building, a small colony of yurts up the hill, yoga facility, organic garden and a special spiritual place down th hill in a clearing where King Kamehameha used to meet with elders. The cliffside views plunge to infinity as sea breezes course up the coast. A pine grove gives way to rainforest and the surroundings are spectacular yet soothing.

All this activity was fueled by an immense yet meticulously prepared breakfast which included a Mexican influence one day and a fruit filled extravaganza of homegrown delights the next with some of the best birchermuesli I've ever tasted. The room was superb, the bed cocooned me and all the amenities were spot on for comfort. THere is a media room for the TV addict and a plentiful library. You couldn't ask for better staff who advised me of restaurants I'd missed in my travels including Sushi Rock and Luke's Tiki Bar and Restaurant in addition to my fave Bamboo.

The only shortcoming was my timing, I had only two days but found that they were like a week of decompression condensed in a mesmerising environment and family feel, yet private and spiritual without being new age.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank trippsterSydney
Reviewed 14 June 2010

My husband and I were married at Hawaii Island Retreat last month, and we can't wait to go back for an aniversary. Every member of the staff is friendly and helpful; the rooms and grounds are beautiful; the spa treatments we enjoyed were top notch, and the ceremony was perfect. I don't think we could have found a better venue anywere.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2010

This year old retreat/spa is a perfect place for a relaxing get-away. Elegant, Island style architecture on developing grounds, with a beautiful pool and spa facilities. Quiet, with fabulous views out over the ocean from the bluff the retreat sits behind. A large, very private location with its own valley and trail to the water's edge, where whales are seen in season.
A full delicious breakfast is served and arrangements can be made for other meals, as well.
Hawaii Island Retreat is perfect spot to restore your mind and soul. It is also located in a lovely, very Hawaiian part of the Big Island, with great art galleries, and restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2010

This is a beautiful, quite new inn, overlooking the ocean and facing Maui at the northmost tip of Hawaii Island. The owner and staff are solicitous of your comfort. The food is delicious and almost totally raised on the 60 acre property. Everything is fresh and beautifully prepared by a Morrocan chef whose use of middle eastern spices like curry and cumin enhance healthy, delightful meals. It's a place to totally relax, have a massage, read, swim in a beautiful pool, hike the trails and be renewed. It is not a place for people who need entertainment. It has no glitz - only beauty, comfort and care.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank edithseattle
Reviewed 11 March 2010

Having spent the first few days of our vacation in a big hotel on Waikiki Beach, we wanted an entirely different experience on the Big Island. Ahu Pohaku Ho'omaluhia was an absolutely delightful, beautifully appointed retreat set in a lovely off the beaten path location. We walked the land with the owner, fed the goats and picked passionfruit from the trees. The breakfasts were a tropical delight. Havi, the little town, near the resort has a nice assortment of restaurants and there are lovely hikes and spectacular drives within short distances. The nurturing nature of the retreat is truly restorative.

This is not the place to stay if you need lots of planned activities or expect to easilly access major tourist sites on the island like Hawaii Volcanos National Park. It is a place to be surrounded by nature, quiet, and breathtaking scenery. At night the night blooming jasmine releases its fragrance, the stars are spectacular and you see and hear no other signs of civilization.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bethanybeach6
Reviewed 1 March 2010

From the moment we arrived we knew we were in a special place. Not only is it beautiful, but there is so much history and spirituality embedded in the land, the rocks, the trees, that even those as thick as I am, can't help but feel the power. Every comfort has been addressed in the rooms and the spa facilities. We stayed in the Jacaranda Room which overlooked the ocean and were lulled to sleep at night by the crashing of the waves on the rocks. The spa treatments are the best we've ever had: Jeanne's facial left my skin looking better than I can ever remember. Jeanne worked some magic on my aching legs (from climbing down to Polulu Valley the day before) and on my neck, leaving me pain free. After a few days there we were changed people. This place is unique and well worth the money, but if you can't justify the splurge, it is worth is to go for the treatments and to have a look around this historic site where King Kamehameha often beached his canoes and met with his councilors. Jeanne and Jackie are very special people. Jackie introduced us to Yoga and now I am hooked! The new pool is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks to everyone for their great attention and sorry I didn't get this review in sooner.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bearsox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaau
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia? Share your experiences!