“Great food but”

Ranked #2 of 3 Oxted B&B and Inns
Westerham, United Kingdom
“Great food but”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

This was bought as a wedding gift and emails from the manager confirmed a double en suite bedroom had been booked. On arrival we were taken to our room which was freezing cold, first week of January the young woman was very apologetic and said she would deal with it, which she did. On further inspection we found we had a Jack and Jill bathroom to share with guests next door this was unacceptable and we were not told this was to be the case, we would certainly not have booked to have this facility. There were no toilet rolls in bathroom, we went to unpack and the drawers were all sticky inside and out, but have to say the young woman behind the bar and the chef was great doing all they could to put things right, food was great and fab cooked breakfast. We were disappointed that the manager did not make an appearance. We would possibly eat there again but certainly wouldnt stay because even though you have booked en suite you might not get it!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We got a night here with Wowcher which included a 3course meal and breakfast. Our double room was very quaint with our own ensuite. We were very pleased with the prices of their drinks, we sat by the open fire before sitting down for our dinner. Our meals were delicious, and were hearty portions; all I'd say is there should have been a note on the menu to warn of small bones in the Partridge Stew as this was the first time I'd ever had it... Breakfast was also brilliant, cooked to order.
We would visit again.

Room Tip: From reading other reviews it seems like we had the best room at the front of the building with an e...
tonbridge
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I stayed here at the beginning of December 2012 with my partner . I had red previous reviews about having a bedroom without a bathroom so I made a point of visiting the venue before arrival . I was shown a very large en suite bedroom and was told that this is the bedroom that I would be staying in . I then had a look at the menu , and I was impressed with the variety and prices . I paid for my room.

Upon arrival I was shown to my room which was not the one I had seen before . It was still a double en suite but smaller . I noticed there were no towels and I asked for some towels and was told that they would be brought to the room .
I then made my wan to the bar where I tried to order a bottle of red wine as I had booked in for dinner. I was shown a wine list but my first three choices were not available so had to settle for a rose.

We were shown to our table and I have to say the food was very good and the service was a little abrupt at times , but overall a lovely dining experience .

When we returned to our room we noticed we still did not have any towels . At about 12.30 I made my way down to the bar and asked for some towels . The man , who I think was very apologetic brought me some towels . We also noticed that there were only minimal supplies of tea and coffee - not enough for two cups each . However , due to the lateness of the hour we decided to make do.

The room was well heate and I cannot find fault with the bathroom - good powerful hot shower . Breakfast was excellent and plentiful .

Overall I would say the stay was ok but I had also bought an over night package for a relative and I have just found out that her stay was far from satisfactory.

Room Tip: The large Double at the front with en suite
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Studham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Last Monday my wife and I stayed at this pub using our Wowcher coupon. It was excellent!! The satff were great. The beer was very good. The food was excellent and the room was clean and spacious.

Regards, Ross Balaam.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Our one night stay at the Barley Mow was a lovely experience. As we've done on numerous occasions we were meeting up with our best friends of 36 years as this hotel is halfway between us. My friend booked this on Wowcher and I couldn't believe the price. I didn't expect such a good standard of food and choice. 6 starters, 9 mains and 6 desserts. Though a bit limited on the gluten free meals, the staff were very helpful and checked which ones were ok.The rooms were basic but very clean and we had a giggle with the shared bathroom. Four of us cleaning our teeth at once, hilarious!
I am sure we will be back!

Room Tip: Only book the rooms with shared bathroom with good friends or family!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I am SO glad that I didn't believe all of the negative things written on here before arriving at The Barley Mow - I was expecting to be greeted by Manuel or Basil from the terrible things that people had written. I bought a 1 night stay through Wowcher and I can honestly say that we were made to feel so welcome. Granted, it wasn't the Ritz but it was certainly GREAT value for money, considering all that we got for our money! Delicious 3 course meal, overnight accommodation AND breakfast in the morning for 2 all for less than 60 quid. Result! The rooms were comfortable, cosy and clean and the staff were absolutely brilliant!

I had booked the trip as having a 15 month old, money is tight but we wanted a trip away and this was too good to pass up. Naturally, as soon as we sat down to eat, my daughter got upset and it became apparent that there would be no relaxed evening meal... Until, the delightful chef (Wayne, I think his name was...) said, "Tell you what, tell me what you want and I'll bring each course up to your room for you. Here's my number, just call me when you're ready for each course..." Seriously, don't know what we'd have done without his kindness! Then, the following morning, he entertained our daughter so that we could eat a quick breakfast before setting off for a day at Bluewater. What a gem!

Really, really lovely friendly people who did everything they could to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Thanks so much guys!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RebeccaM81
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Have just returned from a one night stay at the Barley Mow pub. I bought the deal through Wowcher and this was the first time I had used any of the voucher websites. I was pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent and the service from the staff very friendly and helpful. We stayed in Room Number 1, which was clean and the facilities more than adequate for a short break. Overall a real bargain and we will be going back in the future for a meal.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 1 which was quiet and I had a good sleep. Not sure whether it would be noisy on a mu...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxted
Chiswick
Chelsea
Draycott Hotel
Draycott Hotel
#24 of 1,063 in London

Been to The Barley Mow? Share your experiences!