“Great Food, quite pricey”
Review of The George Inn

The George Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The George Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 35 Restaurants in Oxted
Price range: US$7 - US$47
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I went here with some friends on a Saturday night. The atmosphere left a little to the imagination and I would have hoped that it was slightly busier but the food was faultless. I had the mussels in cider and bacon to start and the lamb rump for main. Both were really tasty and well prepared. We have a bottle of wine between 3 of us and the bill was almost £40 a head. For a starter, main and a 3rd of a bottle of wine, I thought this was quite a lot of the area. With so much competition nearby, I think they may need to reevaluate their prices.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Quality of food and variety of food for a pub spot on. (Above average)

Service a mixed bag....had to ask on three different occasions for a round of drinks yet again they were so accommodating with bringing a birthday cake with us.

£8 for a double vodka seems excessive and only worthy if the service was top notch. Was also told that red bull wasn't served as it wasn't the clientele they wanted in the pub.

Real shame, great location, great food, rubbish service and a rip off with prices.

Wouldn't go again in the hurry!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Popped in mid afternoon half way around a long hot walk. Beer was fine and we had a couple of.really nice sandwiches. Service was friendly and food turned up promptly. Shame they didn't have a wider choice of ales on , there were three pumps on the bar but they all had the same Badger beer on, would have liked to have seen some of Hall & Woodhouse's others on offer.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We are local and the food at the George never fails us, it's a place we can always take visiting family members and have a great meal. The old chef has gone and a new Head chef appointed and he's doing a great job. We went there two weeks ago and it was excellent. Recommend the burgers, the steak with home made bearnaise sauce and the desserts are divine but the sticky toffee pudding takes the crown!

1  Thank Pippitypop
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Have just come back from The George in Old Oxted. Today was quiet so we were confident we would be served quickly and were not disappointed. The cheerful waitress allowed us to sit where we wanted. One thing that strikes you immediately is the cleanliness of the place. Whilst furnished with rustic furniture the tables had not succumbed to the stickiness that can often be found in other establishments. Specials of the day were tarragon & coriander soup or steak & kidney pie. This being a light lunch we opted for something off the main menu. North Sea smoked fish chowder for me and carpaccio of beef for my wife. Both were served with a tasty rustic bread. The chowder was just perfect. It comes in a very creamy sauce which makes the dish quite filling when eaten with the bread. The beef was tasty and not dry at all. Unfortunately when it came to paying the bill we were informed that the card machine was out of order. Not having quite enough cash I went to the machine down the road (at the petrol station). This ATM charged a whopping £1.75 for the privilege of withdrawing my own money but the manager at The George gladly adjusted the bill to account for this, which I thought was very fair. All in all a very pleasant experience and well worth another visit, perhaps for an evening meal. The place was very quiet at the time so it was difficult to accurately judge the atmosphere but I got the impression it would be one of homeliness.