“Not quite 4 star standard”

Westgrove Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clane
“Not quite 4 star standard”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Ladies toilets were clean but in bad need of a make over. Taps hanging off sink, no soap, toilet roll holders all broken. Bedroom was very cold. There were no extra pillows or blankets. No pen for the room service menu. Breakfast was freezing cold. It should have been very tasty but too cold to enjoy. Bar and restaurant were very cold. I sat at the table with my coat wrapped around my legs all evening and night. I was served a very flat bottle of beer at end of the night. There was no staff in bar to get an exchange but I did eventually find someone at reception. It's a 3 star hotel at best. Food in restaurant was lovely. But that was not enough to redeem the place. I wouldn't go back or recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed August 2014
JerryRu, General Manager at Westgrove Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review of your stay. I am sorry it did not meet your expectations. If you would like to discuss the service issues you encountered please contact me directly.
Jerry Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed with family using Pigsback voucher.. Although hotel didn't appear particularly busy were left waiting until 3pm on the button to be allowed check in even though we were there for 1pm..a short call to housekeeping not an option evidently! Attitude of receptionists was cold and unfriendly not just to us but to all we saw them engage with during our wait, not a single smile between them!! I can't understand having worked in the hospitality industry how management can fail to act on such an important an issue which has been repeatedly reported by reviewers.. Surely the object of the Pigsback offers is to encourage repeat business!!? The bar staff appear to be the complete opposite so hats off to the bar manager.. They were all helpful, smiling, enthusiastic and as it should be.. treated us as Guests! Housekeeping do a great job, room neat and tidy and were pleasant when we passed them with the kids. Pool area was really lovely for families and well maintained, family dressing room a great idea! One thing to remember is that there is no lifeguard on duty unfortunately.. all in all a good stay but unnecessarily soured by reception staff!

3 Thank sunnydaystocome
JerryRu, General Manager at Westgrove Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review on your stay. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and found our front office team unwelcoming. If you would like to discuss your findings please contact me directly.
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

First night out without baby and we got a special offer..how bad could it be???? Awful! Room stank floor was sticky blanket on bed dirty and awful music pumping from bar which was audible in room. The offer came with a three course dinner which was so restrictive we were almost left with just 2 choices and they managed to get that wrong. Worse thing is you are stuck here as there are no good bars or restaurants around. Should have gone to Dublin city!!!

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. If you would like to discuss your findings please contact me directly.
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel was booked as part of a Hen Night package and I have to say I was "Well Impressed"!! I wasn't expecting too much as the hotel was in a small village but it was lovely. There was free car parking and wifi which was a good bonus. The hotel was huge but in a good way. We had a lunch snack in the bar and a three course evening meal in the restaurant which was amazing, the food was so tasty!! The hotel in general, accommodation, food and drinks were all excellent value for money. It was a short distance to near by towns. My only disappointment was I didn't have time to use the amazing looking spa or stay longer. I recommended to my parents to go last month which they did and they to have a great two day break! Will look forward to my next trip here!! :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amanda H
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review of your stay. I am so glad you enjoyed your girlie break away and that you recommended us to your parents. Thank you for choosing the Westgrove Hotel and yes you have given yourselves a good excuse to return.! Seanna and her team in our Elemis Spa Haven would be delighted to look after you on your next visit.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back at sometime in the future.
Limerick
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Just back from.a two night stay with The westgrove. It was just super. Wonderful kids club, lovely staff throughout the hotel. Fab bed and pillows. Yummy food. All in all we will be back. Really great trip.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lovethehols
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review of your stay. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful and friendly. Thank you for recommending our Hotel it is very much appreciated. Thank you for choosing the Westgrove Hotel and I do hope we encourage you to return again in the future.
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 18 August 2014

It was a weekend away for my sister as it was her birthday. It was such a lovely stay. We got a family room which gave us 3 beds. A great start. The hotel had given us a few little treats in the room which was such a lovely touch. (chocolate dipped Strawberry's) We had dinner that evening in the Italian Restaurant Assaggio. The food was gorgeous and the service was brilliant. Such lovely staff and friendly staff. The waiter must have over heard us say it was a birthday weekend so he arranged a lovey desert and birthday candle for her. A perfect touch that topped a perfect day.
We had treatments booked in the lovely relaxing spa. Again lovely staff. Perfect treatments.
We stayed 2 nights and the second night we ate in Naas town.
When we checked out the lovely receptionist gave us VIP passes to Kildare Village.
It was just a perfect stay and even though the hotel was booked out on both night it was so quiet.
Highly recommend it as a nice base to see Kildare or as a relaxing stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read your comments and so glad you were well looked after by our team. Thank you for all your praise.
Thank you for choosing the Westgrove Hotel Leisure Club & Spa Haven and I hope we encourage you to return to us again in the future.
Brno, Czech Republic
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We just spent two nights at the westgrove, we were at a wedding so we had fun and the food was very nice. The breakfasts are good too as was the service. But the whole hotel is very dark, the rooms are dark, the carpets are dark, the main dining room is dark. In America this would be regarded as a 2star hotel. The reason is that the whole space smells of damp, like an old cleaning rag. That's not pleasant. There is no way you should go here if your not attending a function. They do have good wifi, but I had to constantly get new door keys as they kept not working. Will not be going back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank patpaddy
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and that you thought our hotel smelt and that your bedroom keys did not work. You mention the Hotel was smelt of damp. Our Hotel is a relatively new build and does not smell of damp. On the bedroom keys not working I have organised all our bedroom door looks to have their annual service. Thank you for complimenting our Free Wifi, our Food and Our Service.
I do hope you will reconsider and come and visit our lovely property again in the future.
General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clane
Osprey Hotel & Spa
Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Lawlors Hotel
Lawlors Hotel
#1 of 5 in Naas

Been to Westgrove Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!