“Just go”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Reviewed 25 March 2011

My wife and I just returned this week. Absolutely gorgeous resort property. Stayed in the French portion. We needed the exercise. Best beach and pool though, so well worth walking to dinner. We have been to Jamaica three times, and Whitehouse is now our new favorite. We will miss the friendly folks that make your every care "no problem"; until we return again.

1  Thank EMacCarib
Write a ReviewReviews (7,188)

Reviewed 24 March 2011

We never went on a honeymoon and always 'vacationed' to visit family, so this was long overdue and we wanted it to be perfect - Sandals Whitehouse certainly delivered! Since my husband and I both work full-time and we have teenage kids, we only went for a long weekend for my birthday, Thursday through Monday, and we loved it so much, we are already booked to go back next year for my birthday for a full 8 days! I can't say enough good things about this resort and the staff! Many thanks to Camille for an amazing candlelit dinner and the extra attention over the next few evenings to find us at dinner and bring our favorite appetizer. Sheldon and the entire concierge staff were so helpful and always went out of their way to make our stay worry-free, and thanks for the birthday cake! We used a private driver we booked through Sandals and Mr. Stevens made us feel so welcome and told us so much about the island! His Mercedes was incredibly comfortable, the appetizers, wine, and beer in the car was a nice surprise, and he even stopped at a roadside fruit stand for us to get a whole coconut so I could drink the juice/milk on the way! My ankles get puffy when I travel and that always helps! I wish I could remember the name of the bartender in the French village, started with a D I think - anyhow, on my birthday, we were sitting on the beach and we saw all these people walking down toward the French village along the beach and returning with coconuts so we decided to head down there, but when we arrived, they were all out! The bartender said they were getting more and he should have some in about 10 mins, but 20 mins later, no coconuts! He asked where we were hanging out and said he would bring one to us when he got them so we returned to our beach chairs near the Dutch village. Other couples said there was no way he would bring it, but he didn't dissappoint! He walked up about 30 mins later with 2 coconuts! All of the staff was like this, always going out of there way to not just do their job, but make sure all the guests ALWAYS got whatever they needed and were happy! The whole property (rooms, restrooms, beaches, pools, restaurants, shops) was so pristine, the food was always good, and the entertainment may not have been vegas show quality but was always really fun! We stayed in Dutch and I recommend that over the other villages. Other guests said France was a bit of a long walk and they were always partying at the French pool which is great to go hang out at but I don't think I'd want my room there. Italian village is closest to main pool but rooms don't have pool view. We also enjoyed massages and wraps in the spa and will certainly book these treatments again when we return! The staff said they were 100% booked, but it NEVER felt that way! Highly recommend Sandals and especially this property and am really looking forward to our return visit next March!!!

1  Thank Terisa36
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Excellent Excellent Excellent....... Only down part was the ride over and back.... But nothing to ruin the Excellent Vacation.....

Reviewed 22 March 2011

The rode on the way over had some pot holes but oh well, pull out your mug at the airport Sandals, fill it with beer and enjoy the ride. The resort was beautiful, white sanday beaches, great pools and fantastic restaurants. Wine was great too - glad they went to the Barringer brand. We stayed in the French Village which is the furthest away from the main area but we loved the pool, pool bar, and great little restaurant right there - who needed to leave, except for dinner. Our friends got married there as well and it was beautifully decorated and they made everything very special. The resort only has around 360 rooms so you never felt crowded - there were a few chair hoggers as well as towel hoggers but we would find a chair eventually and just waited for more towels to arrive. The place was totally awesome and we plan to return again next year!

Reviewed 22 March 2011

OK, I have been reading reviews since October 2010, as that is when I booked my trip for March 5 - 12th 2011. So it's now my time to write one. I will try to make it a little unique as after a while they become a bit mundaine. This was our 4th Sandals trip - we have been to SOR, SN, SRB, and now SWH. These trips are all special in their own way so I will spare you some of the comparisons. First off the ride was no big deal, the drivers make it fun, and its the only time you get to see the true Jamaican countryside due to WH being so remote - this in my opinion is not the place to go if you want to take excurions. SOR ans SN better if thats what you want to do. Just a note - the ride to all 3 of these Jamaican Sandals are all about 1 1/2 hours. I will say SWH is the nicest property we've stayed at. The grounds are pristine and landscape is perfectly manicured. The same can be said about the staff at all 3 of these Sandals properties. Jamaican's are special, they're personalities are so positive an uplifting, take some time to get to know a bar tender, playmaker, room keeper, server - they're ear to ear smile is so nice, it just becomes contagious - this is due to good training but more than that they are just wonderful proud people who really care about you're well being. They realize that travel is a huge percent of their economy and they will go the extra mile for you. O'brian is a playmaker by the Dutch pool. He told me on day 1 that "if their was anything, anything he could do to make my stay better he would do it, if I can't do it, I'll find someone who can, if you need anything I will get it, if I cant get it I will make it." this was how we were treated the entire week. Jamaican hospitality is second to none. Special shout out to Otto, Garth, Copeland, and Avril - these guys and all the staff for that matter, made our week so special. The weather was perfect, the food was good at all the restauraunts. Usually we would hang out during the day at the French pool, after volleyball I would belly up to the swim up bar, have a few drinks, pick myself some mint for my Mojitos- then I would order my lunch and eat right at the swim up bar, jerk chicken, curried goat, fish escovitch, basically the Jamaican daily special from Bluefield's. All wonderful. We booked at the French but were upgraded to the Dutch with concierge. I would say the Dutch is the best area to stay because it's right in the middle so going to Frech during days and the main area by the Italian at night. 5 minute walk to either location. No need to pay the extra money for Dutch or Italian. French was fine your walks are beautiful anyway. As opposed to SOR, and SN, being very Jamaican feeling culturaly - SWH reminded me a bit like dowtown Disney or even like Vegas, but obviously in the Carribean, whearas SOR, SN were all Jamaican all the time, all reggae, all irie, and ofcourse Ya Mon! It is clear to me that they've scaled that down some at SWH - you would hear reggae, but also top 40, Michael Jackson, stuff like that. This did not bother me, just a stark contrast to the other properties.
Before I forget, (especially for those traveling on Saturday's) do not miss the Steel band on Saturday night at La Cabaret like I did, this was a highlight to many I've spoken to. SWH is secluded from it all, it's back drop are the Blue Mountains, nothing to the left or right. This was a major plus +. They do bring in native merchants to sell souvenirs, carvings, bracelets, etc... Yes bring bug spray. You don't really need it if you stay on the resort. But walking on the beautiful beach, especially at dusk, you will need it. We will be returning, and it will be my first repeat trip to Sandals. My wide and I, vowed years ago on our honeymoon that we would go to every Sandals within our lifetime. That is still the goal, but I have to go back to SWH..... We loved it!!!!

9  Thank futurehaas
Reviewed 21 March 2011

My boyfriend and I travelled with another couple. This resort is amazing. I felt like I had died and gone to Heaven. The food was absolutely delicious. Giuseppes was my personal favorite restaurant and I loved Cafe de Paris. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The staff was very friendly moreso if you struck up a conversation with them. We went to Bayside every morning for breakfast and not once to Eleanor's. Bayside had everything anyone would want and you did not have to wait. One they ran out of something it was replenished within 5 minutes.

I would have to say the resort exceeded my expectations. They certainly are not skimpy on the drinks. We had to ask them for half shots or light on the alcohol. I loved that every night an agenda for the next day was left in the room for us. I ready a review once that if you wanted to dance this was not the place. Not true! We danced 4 out of 7 nights. We could have danced every night but we chose not to some nights. There was a disco every night in the martini lounge unless the disco was on the beach.

The beach party/dinner was the best part. The road to the resort was not as bad as others stated. Yes it was bumpy but nothing major. The traffic does come close to eachother and that is a little unnerving but nothing the driver could not handle as they make the journery daily so they are use to it.

I have only a few complaints. Not so much complaints as suggestions. They keep the martini lounge too cold. It's freezing in there. Once you start dancing you are fine but you should not need a sweater. I wish the restaurants were a little more general. What I mean by that is that Jasmine's and Eleanor's options were limited. A lot of different food. I'm all for trying new food but I wish they would have had a couple more basic choices on each menu. Perhaps all restaurants could have mixed up the menu after a few days to change things up a bit. I also think the plates left at guests doors (room service or food brought to room) could have been picked up a little quicker. I called on one occassion to ask that leftovers outside rooms down my hall be picked up as they were attracting ants. Within 10 minutes someone came to take care of this. We were unable to have internet access in our room for some reason and had to go to the business centre to check email. Again this are simply suggestions.

My friend and I received two treatments at the redline spa. We received a great deal. Reps from the spa walk the beach and pool and will approach you to see if you are interested in services. They are not pushy at all. I would suggest you book your spa treatments once there after one of these reps approach you. You will get a better deal.

Lots of activities during the day and the evening. We were at the french village and that seemed to be the better pool. We were going to do an off resort excursion but opted out as it was at least a 1 1/2 hr trip each way. We did not want to take so much time from our trip off the resort. Plenty of free activities offered at the resort. We did the glass bottom boat tour. A must. Our captain got off the boat and dove in the water to bring up a puffer fish, sea urchant, start fish etc so we could hold and take pictures. Amazing!

I would recommend this resort for everyone. I'm sure I am forgetting many things. Lots to see, do. A great place. A speacial thank you to Joan, Lig, Otto, Adrian, and Andre from the entertainment crew.

6  Thank fnadon
Reviewed 21 March 2011

This was our 3rd trip to Jamaica in 20 years but our first stay at a Sandals Resort
We landed in Kingston, purely because the Mo Bay flight was fully booked, but the journey - 3 hours was fine, and they have some new motorways which was even better - dont fret about flying into Kingston and as we were the only couple going to Whitehouse we had a private car transfer there and back at no extra charge.

We were upgraded on arrival from a PC room to a one bedroom suite in the Italian village on the first floor which was just fantastic
We enjoyed everything about Whitehouse - the food was great the drinks and the staff - the evening entertainment was also fab
Would we go back - no
Id like to try another Sandals on a different Island - there's alot of the world to see!!
Enjoy

#8 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!