“Enjoyed our week at Whitehouse”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Reviewed 20 October 2007

We stayed at the resort between 6 and 13 October 2007. It rained quite a bit while we were there, but the resort did all it could to move outside entertainment and theme dining events indoors so guests could enjoy as many scheduled events as possible. We stayed in a lower category room and found it very roomy, clean, well appointed, and free of mold, mildew or musty odors, and bugs. The food, particularly the seafood selections, was good, but we didn’t like the steak served at one restaurant. There is no off-resort nightlife, shopping, or exchange privileges with other Sandals resorts here, so if that is important to you, this may not be the place for you. There are a large variety of daily activities, water sports, and tours to choose from, or you can simply enjoy doing nothing. While the weather put a damper on our week, and curtailed a lot of watersport activities, we nonetheless very much enjoyed our stay at the resort. Guests while we were there ranged in age from young newly-weds to geezers like me.

Getting there and back

We flew Air Jamaica out of Baltimore because it was the only airline offering direct flights. That flight has a poor on time record, and we experienced a two-hour delay on the outbound leg and a 50-minute delay on the return flight. Even with the delays we arrived in less time that it would have taken us had we booked alternative flights with interim stops and their built-in layovers.
Upon arrival in Montego Bay, we retrieved our bags, Cleared Customs and Immigration, and made it to the Sandals Lounge inside 30 Minutes. Red Strip, Coffee, and soft drinks and restrooms await you there. We left on a weekend and it took over an hour to check in at Air Jamaica due to the long lines. The lines moved reasonably quickly – just a lot of passengers for multiple flights trying to check in at the same time. Security and immigrations procedures went quickly, however. I don’t know if weekday travel is any less busy.
The trip to/from the resort took 75 minutes because we chose to skip the midway rest stop. While the pucker factor might go up now and again when your bus or van is passing other vehicles, the ride isn’t all that bad. Besides, it gives one an opportunity to get a feel for how rural Jamaicans live – not always a pretty sight.

Room at the resort:

We received a room upgrade and stayed in a Beachfront Luxury room on the second floor of the Dutch Village. All the lower category rooms are the same, just located higher in the building as the category and costs increase. Even the lowest category rooms face a pool and the water. Higher category rooms are larger (suites), better appointed, and have greater services and amenities. Since we are seldom in our room except to sleep, the extras were not important enough for us to spend the extra money. Our room was equipped with a mini fridge stocked with bottled water, soft drinks and a selection of Juices that were replenished every day. We’ve stayed in similar category rooms at other Sandals and this one was by far the best. We particularly liked having the mini fridge.
The resort is divided into three Villages: the Italian closest to the main pool and restaurant area; The Dutch Village, which sports its own pool and whirlpool; and, the French Village. The French village is a mini resort within a resort with its own pool and restaurant (open during the day). It is the most active of the three Villages, and many people want to stay there because of that. I’ve read comments that the French Village is too far from the main Restaurant area, but that should not be a concern for most people. We are both in our mid-60’s and had absolutely no difficulty making that walk.

Meals:

None of the restaurants require reservations, and perhaps because we were at the resort outside its high occupancy season, we never had to wait for a table. I saw only one couple waiting for a table as we left a restaurant during our entire stay. Three restaurants (Giuseppe’s, Eleanor’s and Jasmine’s) require long pants and collared shirts for men in the evening, and the dress code was enforced. The Arizona, and Bayside Restaurant allow more casual dress (dress shorts).
We took breakfast at Eleanor’s once to try their stuffed French toast. Their menu also included other items like Steak and Eggs, and Omelets. Eleanor’s was good, but we chose the Bayside breakfast buffet the remainder of the week. Bayside offers the usual breakfast fare: French toast, waffles, pancakes, made-to-order eggs, smoothies, juices, breakfast meats, pastries, cheeses, cold cuts, fruit, hot and cold cereals, bagels, breads, and more. It is hard to complain about a breakfast you build yourself.
You can also stop by the Café de Paris, which opens at 5:30 a.m. with a selection of pastries, coffees, and teas. Make sure you go back later in the day because what they offer constantly changes during the day and evening when a wide selection of desserts is available. You will also find a selection of hand dipped and soft serve ice cream there.

The Bayside offered a buffet lunch, which provided the widest selection, or you can order off menus at the Bluefield’s and Arizona’s restaurants, and the Pizzeria at Giuseppe’s. A beach grill is also set up on the sand near the main pool where you can get burgers, and chicken. Bluefield’s is a must, at least for the calamari, and if you want to sample Jamaican fare.

A guest told us on our first night to just eat dinner at Giuseppe’s (Italian) because it was by far the best restaurant. I had an excellent Snapper dish there, and my wife liked her Chicken dish, but we also dined at Eleanor’s twice (Filet Mignon and pepper shrimp -- both good) and at Arizona’s twice (Grouper was great, Lobster tails – small, but tasty, but the NY strip way too tough). Almost everyone who had the steak there complained about it. We didn’t try Jasmine’s (Asian) or the evening buffet at Bayside.
In addition to the restaurant fare, the resort stages a Caribbean bonfire beach party buffet and a Pirates of the Caribbean feast during the week. They also offer a late-night chocolate buffet and seafood buffet in the Piazza. These events are moved under cover should it rain, as it unfortunately did while we were there. We also attended the dinner for returning Sandals Signature Guests one night where stuffed Capon and Snapper were served. I liked the capon and folks who took the snapper said it was good as well.
All in all we liked what we ordered and thought there was plenty to choose from at each restaurant. The seafood served at the resort was by far my favorite.

Entertainment
Entertainment is scheduled in the theater nearly every night. Most of it reasonably good, but often sparsely attended. Musical events are also scheduled out on the main piazza throughout the week, especially in conjunction with the beach party and Pirates Night. A saxophonist and Violinist also perform on the piazza at various times during the week. It was nice sitting on the café terrace and listening to them. When it rained as much of the outside entertainment as possible was moved to the theater.

A long list of activities is scheduled throughout each day that guests can participate in, or you can do as we did and simply chill out. A pricey gift shop, boutique, jewelry and art gallery are also present at the resort, as well as a Spa facility which we didn’t take advantage of. The beach is free of vendors pushing their wares, but they are allowed into the resort once a week for those interested in what they offer.
Off site excursions
A wide variety of tours are available at the resort for an additional fee. A tour of the Black River, where you can possible see crocs, and the YS Falls was included in our stay at Whitehouse, so we took it. The tour lasted about six hours, which included a boat ride along the river in the morning, Lunch at a restaurant near the boat docks, and the visit to the falls in the afternoon. One can get in pools along the way up the series of falls and try a rope swing into one of the pools as part of the tour. Take water shoes if you intend to get in the water, and extra money if you want to ride a zip line back down to the base of the falls. The fee for that was $30.00 for the first trip, and $10.00 for each additional trip. Also take some money to tip the tour people.

• Stayed: October 2007
29  Thank clark8273
Write a ReviewReviews (7,184)

Reviewed 19 October 2007

We booked our trip with Amy McHugh at DreamMakers and could not have had a better time. She set us up with a fabulous man named "Q" and he made our stay in Jamaica one we will never forget. The weather was perfect and Q set us up with an amazing dinner on the beach. He made our stay so enjoyable we are excited about booking another trip soon. There were five restaurants and two swim up bars. The resort was not crowded and the the staff kept the grounds very clean. We recommend this resort to anyone interested in seeing Jamaica and make sure you get Q as your resort coordinator.
Jim and Mary Beth Eberle

6  Thank MBJPennsylvania
Reviewed 18 October 2007

We stayed at Sandals Whitehouse from Sept 21-26. Overall we liked the trip. The bus ride wasn't quite as bad as we anticipated but it had its moments. When we arrived at Sandals we were greeted with the cool towels and champagne. The check in process was easy and then we were shown to our rooms. I saw some of the negative reviews of Whitehouse and i'll have to say most of them do have valid points. If you are looking for a beautiful, relaxing resort then you will still enjoy this one. Our service was spotty with the housekeeping, some days it would be 5 pm before the maid came in at all. The food is pretty good but we were starved when we arrived at 4pm and had problems finding something to eat. We stayed in the Dutch village on the third floor and didn't have butler service. I asked about having some Red Stripe beer to put in the fridge with the complimentary sodas and I was told I had to buy beer in the gift shop. It was a minor setback but after paying $3000 dollars I expected at least to have the same services provided that we had in Mexico at another resort on a previous trip. If you are looking at booking, go ahead you will have a good time. The grounds, pools and beach are very nice. The main pool bar is lots of fun as well even if you are not a big drinker. They will be glad to serve cokes or whatever you want. I think we would go back to Whitehouse but we will try another resort first.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank tngalKnoxville_tn
Reviewed 17 October 2007

I wanted to let you know we had a wonderful time at Sandals Whitehouse, Jamaica. We absolutely loved the resort and the staff. A staff member, "Q", took excellent care of us. He made sure we had dinner reservations, a nice room and whatever else we needed. He also set up a private dinner on the beach for our group. It was the best vacation and experience my husband and I ever had at Sandals. We all said the resort looks exactly like the brochure portrays it. The grounds of the resort were perfectly manicured and the rooms, restaurants and rest rooms were extremely clean. The food quality and choices were excellent. We liked the fact you could choose a casual meal by the beach/pool or a candlelit dinner in one of the main restaurants. The main pool and bar were phenomenal. We would highly recommend this resort to anyone. The views surrounding the resort are breathtaking! The crystal clear ocean is on one side and the green mountains on the other. We wanted to thank Dream Makers Vacation Services for arranging an amazing vacation and making sure every last detail was taken care of. We were amazed by the service and hospitality of the staff at Sandals Whitehouse, especially "Q." Whenever we asked a staff member for something in the restaurant, for our room or at the pool the answer was always, "no problem!" It was a memorable vacation and one that will never be forgotten. We hope to return in the near future!

10  Thank chrisgirlLancaster
Reviewed 17 October 2007

We choose to travel to Sandals Whitehouse after looking at all the other resorts online, mainly because of its size, ammenities, and the fact that its less than 3 years old. We were there on our honeymoon for 5 nights.

On our first night there, I had called and requested a few new pillows to be brought to our room. I was told they would bring them right away, and never received them. Our room was also missing the TV remote, but we received one after talking with the front desk.

On our second night there, I called to get a bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries brought to our room. Since we were not in a concierge room, I had to go to the sales office to order it; which was no big deal. The lady there told me that they might not have strawberries available at the resort, but would bring other fruit if strawberries are not an option. I told her I was ok with that. She said she would get the items ASAP. 2.5 hours later, they arrived with the bottle of champagne and chocolate covered grapes, cantaloupe, and honey dew! The grapes were ok, but the other fruit was HORRIBLE with chocolate. I can't believe she charged me $35 for the fruit! The very next night, we found another bottle of champagne in our room with a note congratulating us on our honeymoon. I am under the impression the resort does this for all honeymooning couples, which was very nice. HOWEVER, it would have been nice to know this before I spent $25 on a bottle the night before! The lady could have easily found out this information and informed me I would be receiving a free bottle anyway, or just not charged me for the one I ordered. I was very disappointed in the service there! On top of it all, the day before we left, we went into the Cafe, and right on the counter on a big tray, were CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES!!!!!!! Very interesting to see them there, being I was told the resort does not have them, and I was charge $35 for what I could have apparently gotten for free at the cafe!

Unfortunately, it rained every day we were there. I will not complain about that because no matter how inclusive the resort is, I know you cannot do anything about the weather. However, I was a little disappointed in the lack of activities and entertainment available during bad weather. I wasn't expecting there to be a huge party planed somewhere in case of such weather, but I was sort of expecting the resort to know what the forecast is going to be and have a back up plan available to keep guests entertained somewhat.

The variety of drinks available was ok, but the quality of drinks was very poor. We got a lot of great drinks when we went to the Arizona bar when Philip was tending, other than that, we never got the same tasting drink twice! (i.e. I ordered 3 long island Ice Tea's in one night, and each one tasted and looked WAY different than the other.) There is no consistency with drinks between tenders and bars.

The photo shop prices are REDICULOUS! $15 for one 5x7 print?! If the photographers were actually professional photographers and had top-of-the-line cameras, then maybe the price would be right, but they aren't and they don't.

Walking to our room each night past all the other rooms, there were a few plates and glasses sitting on the path. The problem is that some of those plates had food on them and sat there for as many as 3 days we noticed! YUCK!

We visited Red Lane spa and each received massages. Those were very good and relaxing! However, my wife had a pedicure right after which was not very good. The French manicure left a lot to be desired and was poor quality. The girl was obviously not very experienced.

We did do one of the excursions; Black River tour / YS Falls. The tour was very cool to see the crocodiles and all the wildlife in Jamaica. We had lunch right after and the food was very good! The falls were pretty cool too, but we were a little shocked on how expensive the gift shops were. Again, the excursion would have been 100 times better if it wasn't raining the whole time, but it was still well worth it.

On a positive note; the resort it self was very beautiful and the pool was amazing! The food was great and the staff could not have been better! I've never been anywhere where the staff is so genuinely friendly! You defiantly don't see that much here in the States!

Also, the waiting area at the airport is very nice! It felt sooooo good to finally sit in a comfortable chair/couch after being on an airplane for 5 hours and waiting in the lines.

Overall, we were satisfied with our trip to Whitehouse, and would return to Sandals again. We would like to see all the resorts before returning to one, but would like to visit Whitehouse again when it's not raining all week.

Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank mc1283
Reviewed 16 October 2007

My girlfriend and I spent 4 days at Whitehouse. We are locals, have travelled to several all-inclusive resorts (in Jamaica and elsewhere) and have fairly high standards, especially when it comes to good service and good food. Here are our top 10 tips for persons thinking about booking here, and those who've already booked.

If you're considering booking this resort, you should know this:

1. This hotel is less than 3 years old, so the rooms, facilities, equipment, look and feel new and the staff hasn't been there long enough to have a bad attitude.

2. The beach at Whitehouse is ok but not the greatest. It's imported white sand. Negril has the best resort beaches, followed by Montego Bay. Note to Tripadvisor - this hotel is NOT in Montego Bay (not even close).

3. This resort is as far from a resort town as you can get. This means you'll never be harrassed by local vendors while on the beach (Negril is notorious for this) but also means that if you want a lot of night-life and shopping options, you will have to schedule a day trip, involving at least a 90 minute drive. Good thing about Sandals is that they offer day passes to other Sandals hotels, but again, a 90 minute drive each way could be a bit much while on vacation.

4. They have a first class activity package - including a great gym with new equipment, tennis courts lit for night play, world-class squash courts, a basketball half-court, pool volleyball, beach volleyball, pool tables. No lap pool for swimmers though. Then there's the watersports, great place for sailing, kayaking, water skiiing, but the diving is pretty weak (negril has the best resort scuba diving).

5. If planning to come during rainy season (Sep. to Nov.) This hotel has a hurricane guarantee, but no rainy weather guarantee like the Superclubs chain. Superclubs will give a voucher for each day that the sun don't shine at all. Not Sandals.

6. If excellent service is important to you, this is the place. Never seen such well-trained staff, not even at Couples Sans Souci in Ocho Rios, which is another favourite resort of ours.

7. If room service is important to you, make sure you upgrade to one of the higher category rooms, as it's not available to the basic category. We found this unusual for a resort of this class.

8. If you're into Spa Services, then Sandals Villaggio in Ocho Rios is a better choice in terms of overall facilities like the sauna, hot and cold plunge pools, but you'll get as good a massage, facial, scrub etc, here as anywhere else.

9. You won't find as many secluded, intimate spaces as in other similar resorts. The hot tubs can accomodate far too many people for our liking - we prefer a mix of large hot tubs near the general pool, mixed with smaller, more remote hot tubs.

10. No nude beach, which is strange for an adults-only hotel and although topless sunbathing wasn't expressly prohibited, no-one seemed willing to take the chance.

If you've already booked this hotel:

1. If you have ever stayed at a Sandals before, but are not a member of its Signature Guest Program, make sure you sign up - it could save you $250 off your stay.

2. Check out their Passport Refund program where they could credit you up to $250 in room credit if you had to apply for a passport in order to take the vacation.

3. The best restaurant by far is Eleanor's- gourmet Caribbean food. They also cook a plump juicy steak for breakfast, and the custard-filled french toast was divine. Bluefields is a great lunch option as well - try the steak wrap. I saw one reviewer say that you had to bring your own cocktail to the restaurant. That's completely false! Also, unlike some other resorts, Sandals offers real premium liquors (incl. Hennessy, Courvosier, Jack Daniels, Baileys etc) as well as the full range of tropical blended drinks, made with real fruit.

4. Least impressive restaurant is Giuseppe's the Italian restaurant. Didn't like the pizza or the beef ribs, but the Tortellini was ok. The sushi at Jasmine's is hit and miss- great when it's freshly made. Their entrees won't thrill you.

5. If you wish, the resort photographers will take your photo anywhere on the property, but note that a single print will cost $15, so unless it's your wedding, you might want to pass, and take lots of your own photos.

6. The 2 best excursions available from this resort are Dolphin Cove and the Canopy Tour. The Black River Safari tour is nice if you're into that type of National Geographic stuff, but not very exciting.

7. Check-in online at the Sandals Website and save yourself some time in the check-in line. You can also book candelit dinners on the beach and spa services.

8. Don't be afraid to tell your driver if he's going too fast for you. He'll listen. It only takes a couple of bad reports from tourists for him to lose the contract and be replaced with a better driver.

9. Bring a cold mug or other thermal container to keep drinks cool while on the beach. Unlike some other resorts, and perhaps because of the very long beach, Whitehouse doesn't have staff patrolling to check if you need a refill, and doesn't have the 'flag' system for you to get their attention.

10. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful and don't generally expect tips, although they'll accept them if you absolutely insist. Consider taking the name of the person(s) who've gone above and beyond and commend them to the resort manager.

Feel free to contact me if for advice (as if this review wasn't long enough!)

117  Thank gaving
Reviewed 14 October 2007

We just returned from an 8 day trip to this hotel. Overall, it's a nice property, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Let’s start with the good. The level of service at this hotel was excellent and we found the vast majority of the people who work there to be very hard workers with a great attitude, which made the experience much more fun! The property is lovely and well laid out for easy maneuverability and access to all portions of the resort.

While we found the property clean, it was in need of some painting. We were very disappointed in the quality of the food at most of the restaurants. Another disappointing feature is that it was not disclosed to us by Sandals that in the “off season” not all services are available as advertised on their website. There is not 24 hour food service as advertised and we never saw the alleged pizzeria. Additionally, the restaurants that were available had limited hours of service. If you wish to have a cocktail or any alcoholic drink with dinner other than wine offered at some of the restaurants in the evening only, you need to go to one of the bars and bring it into the restaurant with you.

DO NOT BOOK THE DEEP SEA FISHING TOUR! It was never disclosed to us that “deep sea fishing” as defined by this property means nothing more than riding around the ocean in a boat with lines in the water that you are not allowed to touch unless a fish is caught and at that, you must take turns with the other members of the fishing party as to who gets to actually land the fish. In our case, we caught only 1 fish in three and a half hours. (We were to fish for four hours, but were brought in w/o explanation, thirty minutes early.) All of this for a mere three hundred plus dollars!

The hotel is quick to put up red flags on the beach meaning that no ocean activities are allowed at that time and the flags remain in place for extended periods of time, which keeps you from participating in the many “included” activities.

The hotel seems to offer many activities in an attempt to make your stay fun (i.e. outdoor bands, dancing, contests, etc), however, there is no place to move those activities to indoors in the event of rain, thus many activities never transpire. The “shows” in the evenings are truly nothing more than staff performing for you – they try hard, but it’s definitely not a professional performance.

The biggest area for improvement is the trip to the hotel. I can’t begin to describe the horror of that trip! It’s just something you have to experience. The roads are steep & narrow, filled with potholes and other treacheries. The drivers are the worst that I’ve ever seen! The transportation provided for us was an 8 passenger van with 9 people in it. A large, comfortable bus, such as those used for tours on the island, should be arranged by Sandals for transport. We were provided with a much better bus upon our return to the airport.

To end with something positive, I will say that the bars are plentiful and the drinks are excellent!

9  Thank Longhorn_Frog
#8 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!