“Best employees ever....congratulations!”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Our daugther got married last week at this resort. There was 34 of us spending a full week and it was more than expected for everyone of us. Two of us were gluten intolerant. The service we had was fantastic...we got special desert...they baked good bread for us....they cooked gluten free pizza and really pay attention in every restaurant we went. The Chef is there every night to get comments and make sure that everything is all right.

Géraldine, the french coordinator, was taking care of all the french peopole and make a huge difference in their vacations

We went fishing and the staff cooked the fish for all of us. That exerience was sooooo appreciated...Thank you so much... If you like fishing with a local, it is very easy. Go and meet Dennys...this guy is so nice and located approximately 1000 feet walking to the left on the beach. The hotel should use him for the people who want to live an terrific fishing experience...For less than 150$ you will have such a good time.

On the wedding day, we went to the spa. My daughter paid previousley for the services we wanted. They made the apointment for 12h instead of 10h...we were not together as previous...we started the treatment at 11h30....not a very good experience!

My husband and I, travelled in almost all the islands in the Carabeen. We had never been in a all included and were not sure of what it would be. However many of us went in a all inclusive before and we all enjoy our stay a way more than expected. The employees are so well trained...they smile all the time and do whatever possible to make sure your vacation experience will be unforgettable. If you ever go back in a all inclusive, it would be there.

We went snorkling...the fish are very small because there is a high spare fishing activity out there. However, the reefs are beautiful and we enjoy the experience.

Thanks from all of us

Ruth
Montreal

Room Tip: French village for the beach....Italian for the proximity of the restaurants...everywhere is good
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Ruth V

Reviewed 27 November 2011

This is my husband and I's second trip to Sandals and the first to Whitehouse. We went to Sandals Dunn River in Ochos Rios (now no longer apart of Sandals & is now "The Jewel") for our honeymoon in 2007 and decided to return to Whitehouse for our 5 year anniversary during Thanksgiving week. I will say that we have also been on two cruises in the past two years on the brand new ships, RCCL Allure of the Seas and Norwegian Epic. So some of my comparison will be based on resort vs. cruise experience for those who are may be wavering which to do.

Getting to Whitehouse:
The ride is fine going there. I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Yes, about 45 minutes into it, it gets bumpy and they have to avoid pot holes but the driver does an excellent job about getting us there safely. I didn't think it was that big of a deal and our bus was full and everyone else said they read the reviews on tripadvisor too and didn't think it was that bad as people had shared. Make sure to tip the driver as they aren't actually apart of Sandals staff and live off their tips.

First Impression of Whitehouse:
Was very impressed with the grounds as everyone has stated. It was gorgeous and they quickly got us in and going to our room. We had booked the cheapest room on the French Village side and was upgraded to the Italian village and stayed on the 3rd floor. That was a great start to our vacation. We were right next to the main area with all the restaurants and had a beautiful view of the ocean. The room was nice and clean on arrival.

Food:
I am not picky when it comes to food but have to say when comparing food on a cruise compared to the all inclusive resorts, the cruises win by far. I did enjoy dinner each night and the snacks at Cafe de Paris. However, breakfast and lunch was ok. Didn't have as many restaurants open to choose from at those times. Eleanors and Guiseppes was probably my favorite restaurants for dinner. Guiseppes had great pasta with good flavor and Eleanors had a great steak. Neptunes was also good for a dinner choice. Bayside was very blah to my husband and I. They had a lot of choices for breakfast and lunch, however, we noticed that most of the foods lacked in flavor. Cafe De Paris was a must each day. Would recommend their soft serve ice cream and crepes. Both are great. Also, their macaroons are a must! So overall, they had some good areas to eat at.

Beaches and Pools:
Beaches are gorgeous and that was our preferred place to be at. The pools are all very nice and clean as well. Everyday we went to the beach we never had a problem finding some lounge chairs. I would recommend using bug spray when on the beach. I got Avon's sunscreen+bug repellant lotion. It worked well for me during the day but make sure to have bug spray on at night or if you go out at sunrise on the beach. I didn't get bit by the sand fleas when I had Avon lotion on but I didn't have bug spray on when we did the sunset photography session and got bit over 20 times by sand fleas. One girl on the resort I talked to had a allergic reaction and got bit 45 times all over. So, it's great to read on here that some people don't get bit at all on their stay but they do have sand fleas. Don't assume, like I did, that you won't get bit. However, they were just insect bites and it didn't ruin my vacation. Just letting you know so hopefully you won't have to worry about them. On the beach, they offer skiing, wake boarding and knee boarding. Would recommend to do the Hobie Cat. That was fun and we got to see a sting ray repeatedly jump out of the water chasing a fish I guess. Also, if you go to the beach in front of the dutch village, you can find a starfish or two in the water.

Entertainment:
We didn't go to all the shows each night but the Steel Drum band did a great job. Also, the beach party night with the fire breather was fun to watch as well as the couples gameshow they had afterwards. I thought entertainment here was better than our first Sandals vacation. The staff work really hard to get guests involved. If you go snorkeling, make sure to stick with the staff if they snorkel with the group. They will show things you won't normally see. For example, our tour guide went down and had a reef shark come out from under the coral. We weren't with him at the time but the people in our group that were with him said how neat it was and I wish I would have known to stick with him.

Things to do off the resort:
We spent one day at Negril. We arranged a tour with Talk of the Town Tours and they picked us up at the resort and we went to Margaritaville, Sandals Negril and Rick's Cafe to watch the sunset. It was $140 for the day for both of us. Margaritaville had a nice beach in Negril, better than Sandals Negril. Sandals Negril was a nice resort but Whitehouse was much better in my opinion and glad we picked Whitehouse. The beach at Sandals Negril was very narrow and the water wasn't as clear as Whitehouse. I wished we would have just went to Beaches Negril resort because I read their beaches were better and you have access to that place to since it is owned by Sandals. Rick's Cafe was awesome! The sunset was beautiful and it was fun to watch the cliff divers. My husband even jumped off the cliff and now I am regretting that I didn't do it as well. Rick's Cafe was probably the best thing from that day.

Another day we did the YS Falls and Canopy Tour through Sandals and it was around $70 per person. That was AMAZING! The waterfalls are beautiful and we loved every minute of it. The Ziplining was fun and the tour guides was great. If you love to have pictures of every minute of your vacation, make sure to get with one of the people at the falls. They will walk you through the falls and let you know where to step safely and take pictures of you the whole time! I loved that. They were very friendly and helpful. Make sure to tip them because they are working off tips. If your not a picture person, then just tell them you want to do it on your own. They also have a place where you can do a rope swing into the falls. That was alot of fun.

Photography at Sandals:
Would recommend doing the Sunset photography at Sandals. They are some of my favorite pics that my husband and I have ever taken. They are excellent and do an amazing job. Just remember, wear bug screen when you go out on the beach again. I will post some pics they took in my review.

Overall Impression:
Sandals Whitehouse was amazing! The beach is the great! Very long and wide to walk along. The beach water is pretty clear and the french side seems to have the best spot. We saw men everyday in the water with a kayak pulling up seaweed trying to make sure the beach was clear. The only opportunities I saw was the food selection/flavor at times and the sand fleas. Either one was not a deal breaker for us. We would return to Whitehouse and would recommend it to others. This resort is perfect for rest and relaxation. The staff is great and you won't regret going. As far as going on a All Inclusive compared to a cruise, it depends on what your looking for. Cruising has great entertainment and wonderful food and allows you to experience many different islands in one vacation...which we love. The all inclusive resorts allows you to really unwind and get to know the area around your resort which we also love. It really depends on your style. Feel free to ask me any questions that I may have forgot to address.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better. French village has the best beach but they are all really good. Ital...
1  Thank chioalumni
Reviewed 27 November 2011

This was our third trip to a Sandals resort and we will be going back
in the future. This was our first time in Jamaica and we had a fantastic time and can not wait to return.

The bus ride was not as bad as some of the other islands that I've been at. Just have a few drinks at the airport and the ride is over before you know it. They will also stop at a souvenir shop which is around the halfway point.

The check in was quick and refreshing and within a matter of time we were brought to our room.

We were at the Italian village which was conveniently located near all the restaurants except for Bluefields. The room was nice and had no major issues with it.

The French beach was nice but if you want more privacy then go to the Italian side as the seaweed seems to keep everyone away (It's not that bad)

All the pools were well maintained but we seemed to have more fun at the French pool as that was where the volleyball was played at.

Bartenders there are fabulous. Renaldo, Anthony and Kevin will take good care of you and keep the drinks coming.

Restaurants were very good. Only restaurant we did not get to was Jasmines.(Next time)
At Neptunes make sure you ask for Two lobster tails. Also at Eleanor's if you ask you can get lobster with your filet. Everyone seems to go out of there way at Sandals to ensure you have an enjoyable time. If you can not enjoy yourself here then there's something wrong with you

The only thing that annoyed us were the photographers constantly asking to take our pictures.

Nighttime entertainment was enjoyable and there was always something to do. It did slow down around 11:00pm but that did not effect us at all.

We had no regrets and we will definitely be returning to Sandals in the future

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We just returned from a ten day stay at Whitehouse. We love the Sandals for it's value, cleanliness and staff, although this was a bit disappointing. The grounds are fantastic! The staff, service and food, not so much. After reading other reviews, I agree with the value of the staff. It seemed the staff was inexperienced, and we spent much of a day trying to get the correct room (we asked for at booking), this truly took a whole day, and got the feeling we were being bothersome. First stayed in the Italian village, which is very noisy, moved to the Dutch village and it was awesome, although we had to forfeit some amenities to stay of our concierge purchased room. Breakfast by room service was always late, some time up to 2 hours and the order was never once correct. When we ate, we had to seek a server just for water and coffee refills. The ride to the resort was awesome and our bus driver was full of information and humor, greatly enjoyed him! However, on the way to MoBay airport was beyond awful. The driver did not speak and played a CD loudly of "hating the west and their paper money" or the song, "I want your pooh-nanny". We will again use Sandals resorts again, but if you are looking to go to Jamaica, we recommend Ocho Rio's or Negril, we were not disappointed at either. Montego Bay was also good, but small. We never go for the food, if you do you will be disappointed. But, Oh, the gorgeous land, sun rises, sun sets and great people.

Room Tip: Dutch village is quiet and gorgeous daily sunset. Italian village loud and can not sit on balcony du...
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We read through most of these reviews before leaving on our trip and we had prepared ourselves for some negatives once arriving. BUT!!! Our trip was really great. We travel a lot and this by far is the best resort and vacation we have had. We had the butler service but would not use this again. Really not nessassary. We did not have any issues with wait times in restaurants in regards to food. The food was VERY good in comparisson to other all inclusive resorts. The service was awesome - always smiling faces and saying hello! Only one bartender at the main pool was dis-engadged the entire week. I took note of his name in case anyone else thought the same : COPELAND. The beach, pools, rooms, service and overal hotel was very good. Other than that, we will be back to Sandals Whitehouse.

Room Tip: Try to get into the first village - closer to food and all the activities
1  Thank EMTMITCH1974
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Just came back on November 24th.Grounds are spectacular. Beach is great, but the best part of it is located to the west of the resort, beyond resort's border. You want to enjoy the best of it you need to walk past security check. If you do that the small reef is one minute swim from the beach, and it's great. We had a butler suite, so service was exceptional, but anytime we ventured on our own, there were unpleasant surprises. Long waiting times to get to any of the restaurants, slow, and I mean sloooow service. We have prepaid our spa services, and that was a big mistake. On the first occasion we ended up with bill that had nothing to do with what we paid, showing some discounts that we supposedly received but somehow they still charged extra to our room. On the second occasion, we just walked out before receiving any treatment. Candlelight dinner was a joke. The serving girl tried her best, but she was in no-way trained..., well try for yourself... maybe we just had bad luck. The room wasn't ready wasn't ready when we arrived. There were no robes, and only one towel. Takes some time, but you can eventually sort it out and it gets much better, but be prepared to waste a day sorting small problems.
My advice: Use room service as much as you can, and go to restaurants early to avoid any disappointments. As for choosing this hotel for your 5 star experience, look somewhere else.

4  Thank sttrgu66
Reviewed 24 November 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this Sandals. Great service, good food, great entertainment in the evenings!

Bluefields restaurant service was always great. We had mentioned that we wanted a certain food and the very next day, the supervisor came on the beach, found us, and served us right there on the beach! I could not believe it! For a moment, I thought I was at a Four Seasons Hotel with that kind of service!

Elenor's was great at breakfast! The pastries at Cafe du Paris were so great that there were people who lined up at 4 every afternoon for a certain pastry! I am not one for pastries but I even enjoyed them!

Their gardens are just fabulous! The first resort (and we have been to many over the years) that has fruit trees gracing the property. We enjoyed mangoes (they were in season at the time), cherries, sugar cane, sea grapes, lime, oranges, banana, sour sop,...the list goes on. I was enchanted.

The bathroom needs renovating but it was overshadowed by the wonderful service and the great time we had.

Beach was great although there were some sea weed but that is to be expected and unavoidable at certain times of the year.

The weather wasn't the greatest - overcast on many days were were there, but again, we had such a wonderful time that we didn't even notice until I just thought about it!

We would highly recommend this resort to everyone!

Although the travel date says dec 2010, we actually travelled in early July 2010 but they don't have a choice and I just hadn't taken the time to write my review. We have since been to Barbadoes, Antigua, Aruba, and Jamaica is still at the top.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
#8 of 64 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!