“Whitehouse, Take Three”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We traveled to Sandals Whitehouse for our third stay from February 10-17, 2012. We previously traveled in 2009 and 2010. As much as we loved it before, it seemed SO much better this time! I don't think any aspect rated worse than before, and most, if not all, were better. First of all, the food was fantastic--always thought it was great, and this time it just seemed much better from the very first meal. The presentation was more appealing and creative, and the taste was fabulous. Desserts were WAAAY better than they've been in the past. As always, the size/amounts of food for each course do not look very big, but we never walked away from the table unsatisfied. Only managed one night at Bayside and I wish we could've done more there. Neptune's was great, and Eleanor's, as always, perfection. Because we're not crazy about Asian food and reviews continue to be less than stellar, we gave Jasmine's a pass and did not miss it. In our opinion, they could ditch Jasmine's and bring back Arizona!!! We were always at the door at 6:30 or shortly after for dinner and we never waited more than a couple of minutes to be seated. Yes, dinner is *leisurely,* but that's always okay for us--we have no appointments to keep! ;) We had lunch at Bluefield's twice, and that was slow, but good. Lunch buffet at Bayside was fantastic with lots of variety, and pizza at Giuseppe's is always a favorite. And all you read about Cafe de Paris is true--the wait is long, but it's worth it, the treats are better than before, and the Irish coffee is fantastic.

The resort, for the most part, never seemed crowded, even though it was pretty much at capacity. However, we did go out early each morning to save the chairs we wanted on the beach. We stayed in French Village, and the chairs around the French pool were pretty much snapped up by 7:30-8. We wanted chairs under a beach palapa and those go fast. In addition, there were four of us traveling together, we wanted to make sure we got four chairs together. I don't think chairs at the Riviera pool appeared to be a problem if you're not fussy. I also imagine you can always get a chair on the beach, too, if you're not too fussy. There were plenty of floaties at Riviera, but a little low at French. We never went to Dutch, so I can offer no information about that. Well, except that they don't have Diet Coke at the Dutch pool bar, however strange that is. The grounds are even more beautiful than before. Everything is maturing very nicely.

The rooms are, to me, very nice--not much has changed there. Beds are comfy. They seemed a little stingy with washcloths for some reason, but my sister called for more and was blessed with a stack of them--no harm no foul. They put new flat screen televisions in the rooms, but we honestly didn't even turn it on until the last night while we were packing--NEVER happens at home!!! :D

We purchased the WiFi for around $43. It was a serious pain in the neck to get started (had to go to the business center late at night to log in to email to get password--makes no sense!) and was spotty after that. Well, not spotty really, but not a strong signal. During heavy usage times we'd have to go out to the balcony to get enough strength to download anything. If they're going to continue to charge so much, they should really do something to strengthen the signal. But it sure was fun taunting the people at home with pictures of paradise!!!

The entertainment was fine--a little more audience-participation games than before, it seemed. The Silver Birds steel drum band should NOT be missed, and the fire dancer/limbo show is pretty fun too.

Hassle to get the Sandals Select tshirts (what we won't do to get something for free, huh?). We were told all week they'd be there "later today" or "tomorrow" and I think we got them on the second-to-last day. Many people left the resort disappointed without their tshirts.

As has always been the case, the staff at Whitehouse were OUTSTANDING! Nobody crabby, everybody friendly, everybody happy to serve. They all did a fantastic job.

Sorry about the length--we just love Whitehouse and have even booked for next year already!!! Make sure to ask for military discount--anybody with a military ID or a DD214 qualifies--10% makes a difference!!!

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, so now worries there. No such thing as a bad room. We always book the ch...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helenlh66

Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Sandals WHJ from 3/23-3/31 and after reading recent reviews I almost didn’t want to go but am glad I did. The road to the resort isn’t that bad, but there are some scary moments where you think you’re going to topple off the cliff but don’t. Also, Sandals claims that the ride has been paid for but once you get to the airport waiting room you’re expected to tip the person who takes your luggage to the bus and the bus driver, so bring cash if possible. When we got to the resort the staff tried hard to start the relaxation from moment one with cocktails and a welcome greeting. We waited a good half an hour just to get our room and everyone was very anxious to get to their room as it was late in the afternoon.
The good:
Everyone was very attentive and accommodating in the restaurants and café. If you wanted shrimp and steak they would make it happen. I jealously overlooked one couple eating lobster tail while I was served a lobster and shrimp kabob, I assumed they asked for such a meal and were thus served an off menu item. The service was relaxed but nothing you wouldn’t find in Europe or any slow food movement restaurant. I think the people who complain about the service are impatient and frequent patrons of fast food gigs.
The bars were crowded but what you would expect of any bar slinging free drinks. There are some pretty aggressive [--] (visitors, not staff) at the swim up bars, and staff should do more to intervene with their intoxication but I only encountered this a few times. The only reason why bartenders might seem “rude” as previously stated was because they were flipping busy and probably trying to concentrate on everyone’s orders. Surprisingly, during dinner hours, the martini bar was nearly empty.
Every staff member we passed would greet us and asked how we were. You get a friendly vibe from the whole place. We never had any issues finding a shady spot by the pools, but we never tried to find a shady spot on the beach. The beach spots often looked occupied or were reserved by the butlers.
The bad:
We had an excellent time up until our 5th day into the trip when both my husband and I were stricken with food poisoning. We ate at Jasmines and following the meal everything just went downhill. I called the manager the next day but all he offered was the nurse who gave me very little advice. I was pretty disappointed with how this was handled and nothing, not even a “sorry” came our way. We both suffered the illness throughout our trip, a huge bummer, and it greatly limited our drinking and eating abilities.

We were not victims of the dreaded sand fleas like others listed, but I was bit by mosquitoes at least 10 times. Prepare yourself with itch cream and bug spray, use the bug spray even in your room.
If you take a trip outside of the resort take motion sickness meds. My husband and I took a day trip to Dolphin Cove to swim with the dolphins but the road to get there was the worst ever. The driver would speed up then slam on the breaks to avoid potholes and swerve from one side of the road to the other. Hubby threw up out of the window and the guy pulled over but it was definitely a poor trip.

Overall it was a memorable experience and if it hadn’t been for the food poisoning it was had been an amazing vacation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We recently returned from our fabulous WeddingMoon at Whitehouse. We travelled March 3 - 10 and this was our second visit. Our first was in April 2011 and loved it so much, we chose it as our wedding destination. Everything was perfect. From the wedding details prior to arriving, to the on-site details. For those who don't want all the stress of planning a big wedding, what a way to do it. Sandals definitely made it stress-free. And, since we booked our trip during the promo, the wedding ceremony was at no extra cost. We did some upgrades - to the bouquet, and decorations - but the cost was minimal. We were married in the morning on the day the resort celebrates White Night. My husband and I and my sister and BIL felt like we had our very own wedding reception, as the Sandals White night is a great party!

For recognition, I'll start with the wedding photography. John must be recognized. He is one-of-a-kind and takes wonderful photos. We were fortunate to have him do our photos, as well as our video. very professional, always acommodating and a smile that is infectious. He was a part of the set-up for the ceremony and also for the reception in the gazebo, as was Fletcher - another top-knotch Sandals employee. Great personality, driven to be of service . . quality guy. We had so much fun.

Booked a standard room - no upgrade, and were pleasantly satisfied with a 4th floor room in the French Village. Restaurants - we love them all, favourites would be Neptunes for Lunch and Eleanors for dinner. Special thanks to Earl and Danique for each special visit there. Marsha, the supervisor in Bayside for breakfast . . . another favourite!

The beach was "cloudier" this time around, which was a bit of a disappointment compared to last year as you couldn't see the bottom of the ocean. Last year I got eaten alive by sand flies. This year, I brough 90% deet repellent from the US - I used it daily and only ended up with 10 bites so I was thrilled. And speaking of those bites, we learned a local remedy while we were there - RUM. Apply it generously and mine were gone in a couple of days, without Benadryl, etc.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me; I'd be happy to answer any specifics. We'd go back again in a heartbeat. The only other property that interests me somewhat is Sandals Grande St. Lucia, so we might try there next. If not, we will be back to Whitehouse and know we will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose Italian Village if you want to be close to restaurants. French is quiet at night, Dutch is q...
6  Thank Jenn D
Reviewed 1 April 2012

the best sandals in Jamaica. take the helicopter ride to the resort if you want a real once in a lifetime experience. great food, beaches, and pools. staff is the best. carl is doing an impressive job.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We just returned yesterday from a week at this resort. We don't usually return to places because there are so many places to see, but I would consider returning here.

We stayed in Room 2203 in the Dutch Village, a butler suite. The room was large and nicely decorated. Only problem with our room was the occasional foul smell coming from the bar sink. Despite several requests, this was never fixed while we were there but the butler brought a plug-in air freshener to cover the smell. That worked most of the time. This was perhaps my biggest complaint for the week - and something that should not occur at a hotel this expensive and otherwise nice.

The grounds were beautiful and very well maintained. The fire pits, ocean walkway, pools, architecture, beaches, etc. were all very enjoyable.

My husband went on several scuba dives, and appreciated the fact that he could dive at 9am (deep dive) and 11am (shallow dive), and be able to meet me by the pool or beach in time for lunch every day. Anyone planning to scuba, note you must pass a quick test in the scuba pool before diving, and they will require you to go on a shallow dive before you can do the deeper dive. My husband said the dives were nice, but nothing too amazing to see, unlike other places he has been. Nonetheless, it was easy for him to get several more dives under his belt.

The restaurants were good. With butler service, our tables were reserved for us; not sure how long others may have had to wait. The food was generally very good, but perhaps not gourmet. Biggest complaint was the tuna was overcooked and tough one night. All in all, a relatively minor complaint.

We were told the hotel was at 97% capacity. It is spread out enough that we never felt it was crowded. Always saw open pool chairs, and there appeared to be enough pool areas, restaurants & bars that it was not a problem.

We enjoyed the spa, but I do think it was overpriced. Also, when we booked our room, we were given a $150 spa credit. One of our first days there, they offered 20% off spa visits if you booked that day, so we did. When we arrived for the spa treatments, we were told we could not combine discounts, so it was either use the $150 or the 20% off, but not both. And, they added a 12.5% "service fee" to the cost of the service. I thought this was all a bit inappropriate, but just know before you book.

Butler service was nice. We had Chris and Ainsley, and they did a good job. Brought us lunch by the pool every day, snacks in the evening, and a few surprises like bubble baths with flower petals scattered all over the floor. They always had a smile and a good attitude. Each pair of butlers has up to 8 couples at a time, so they are not hovering over you. We did not feel like we are only 1 of 8, though; they did a great job of "juggling" the needs of their guests.

The resort is isolated, and for those who like to explore, this might not be the best place to go. I am recovering from a back injury, so sitting by the pool or beach every day was all I needed. As I mentioned, the scuba helped keep my husband occupied.

Because of my back, we did not chance the drive in, but rather took the helicopter transfer. If this fits in your budget, I highly recommend it. 20 minutes and you are at the resort, with great views along the way.

Everyone we met at the resort was friendly. It was easy to strike up a conversation with just about everyone. With perhaps 2 exceptions, the staff were always very friendly and had great personalities - from the maids to the bartenders to the waitstaff.

The variety of pools was nice. On this trip, we preferred the quiet Dutch pool. No music, no DJ, just the sound of the waves on the beach. For those who prefer more entertainment during the day, the Italian pool certainly seemed to have plenty of that.

The ocean here was very calm, and made it nice to take walks on the beach. We had no problem with bug bites, but did apply bug spray before eating dinner on the beach the night they had their beach party.

All in all, it was a great way to celebrate our 20th anniversary.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We just spent a week in Whitehouse Sandals from March 24 - 31, 2012. We went with apprehension after reviewing the relatively negative trip advisories provided by recent visitors. However, nothing could be further from the truth. From the moment we landed in Montego Bay, we were treated like royalty. We kept expecting something "unfortunate" to happen but the only unfortunate incident was that we had to leave to come back home. Honestly, the grounds are amazing, the service is impeccable and the food was absolutely delicious. Did I mention the beach and sport activities that were just wonderful?! We never had to pre-book a chair and we didn't usually get to the beach until later in the morning because we went diving first. Some people do reserve their seats but there are so many available that you never have an issue finding a lounge chair. We did tend to eat earlier during the evening around 6-7 p.m. and we never had to wait in line. In addition, we actually started only ordering appetizers first and waiting to order the main course so that we weren't rushed. So I'm not sure where the SLOW service comes from because we did not experience it at all during the entire week. I don't know what else to say except this was not our first 5 star resort or our first Sandals experience so it is not like we are not familiar with good service and accommodations. It was truly wonderful! Hats off to the Sandals staff for making our holiday a wonderful experience.
Tamra and Anthony Benjamin, Ottawa Canada

Room Tip: We stayed in the French village and really liked it because it was further away from the pools, rest...
8  Thank Tamra B
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We were a group of three couples who were at the resort Feb 27th - March 5th 2012. Here are my observations, for what they are worth: The ride in was at times a bit bumpy, but we didn't find it nearly as bad as we thought it would be. The resort is beautiful (too isolated in our opinion) everything is pristine and as well kept as you would expect from a resort of this caliber. The views are extraordinary. The food on the whole was good - there were a few meals we didn't all rave over, but that is to be expected. The Parisian Cafe was our most visited spot - excellent first thing in the morning for fresh muffins and coffee to late at night before going back to your rooms. This was our first time at a no tipping resort and wonder if that was the reason for the attitude of the wait staff. (most but not all.) They have no reason to vie for your attention or to give extra ordinary service and we found that although the service in most restaurants was good, there was really only one or two that we had the attention that at other resorts would have been the norm. For example:no asking if we wanted refills for coffee in the morning or even offering them after lunch or supper, no asking if we wanted another round of drinks or wine with our meals, service not served with a "happy" attitude, actually surprisingly slow at times. I agree with other reviews that say it is very relaxing - we found it just too quiet and dull to our liking. Because it is all couples, newly weds or older people,there didn't seem to be the vibrancy of other resorts. The dutch pool was dubbed the "dead" pool. No music, not much drink selection, fresh towels running out every afternoon. We heard no Bob Marley or real Jamaican music at all which was a disappointment. All in all: a beautiful place to go to, no MAJOR complaints but too quiet for us. We won't be back for that reason.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!