We traveled to Sandals Whitehouse for our third stay from February 10-17, 2012. We previously traveled in 2009 and 2010. As much as we loved it before, it seemed SO much better this time! I don't think any aspect rated worse than before, and most, if not all, were better. First of all, the food was fantastic--always thought it was great, and this time it just seemed much better from the very first meal. The presentation was more appealing and creative, and the taste was fabulous. Desserts were WAAAY better than they've been in the past. As always, the size/amounts of food for each course do not look very big, but we never walked away from the table unsatisfied. Only managed one night at Bayside and I wish we could've done more there. Neptune's was great, and Eleanor's, as always, perfection. Because we're not crazy about Asian food and reviews continue to be less than stellar, we gave Jasmine's a pass and did not miss it. In our opinion, they could ditch Jasmine's and bring back Arizona!!! We were always at the door at 6:30 or shortly after for dinner and we never waited more than a couple of minutes to be seated. Yes, dinner is *leisurely,* but that's always okay for us--we have no appointments to keep! ;) We had lunch at Bluefield's twice, and that was slow, but good. Lunch buffet at Bayside was fantastic with lots of variety, and pizza at Giuseppe's is always a favorite. And all you read about Cafe de Paris is true--the wait is long, but it's worth it, the treats are better than before, and the Irish coffee is fantastic.
The resort, for the most part, never seemed crowded, even though it was pretty much at capacity. However, we did go out early each morning to save the chairs we wanted on the beach. We stayed in French Village, and the chairs around the French pool were pretty much snapped up by 7:30-8. We wanted chairs under a beach palapa and those go fast. In addition, there were four of us traveling together, we wanted to make sure we got four chairs together. I don't think chairs at the Riviera pool appeared to be a problem if you're not fussy. I also imagine you can always get a chair on the beach, too, if you're not too fussy. There were plenty of floaties at Riviera, but a little low at French. We never went to Dutch, so I can offer no information about that. Well, except that they don't have Diet Coke at the Dutch pool bar, however strange that is. The grounds are even more beautiful than before. Everything is maturing very nicely.
The rooms are, to me, very nice--not much has changed there. Beds are comfy. They seemed a little stingy with washcloths for some reason, but my sister called for more and was blessed with a stack of them--no harm no foul. They put new flat screen televisions in the rooms, but we honestly didn't even turn it on until the last night while we were packing--NEVER happens at home!!! :D
We purchased the WiFi for around $43. It was a serious pain in the neck to get started (had to go to the business center late at night to log in to email to get password--makes no sense!) and was spotty after that. Well, not spotty really, but not a strong signal. During heavy usage times we'd have to go out to the balcony to get enough strength to download anything. If they're going to continue to charge so much, they should really do something to strengthen the signal. But it sure was fun taunting the people at home with pictures of paradise!!!
The entertainment was fine--a little more audience-participation games than before, it seemed. The Silver Birds steel drum band should NOT be missed, and the fire dancer/limbo show is pretty fun too.
Hassle to get the Sandals Select tshirts (what we won't do to get something for free, huh?). We were told all week they'd be there "later today" or "tomorrow" and I think we got them on the second-to-last day. Many people left the resort disappointed without their tshirts.
As has always been the case, the staff at Whitehouse were OUTSTANDING! Nobody crabby, everybody friendly, everybody happy to serve. They all did a fantastic job.
Sorry about the length--we just love Whitehouse and have even booked for next year already!!! Make sure to ask for military discount--anybody with a military ID or a DD214 qualifies--10% makes a difference!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK) and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica